Wanting To Lose Some Lbs-A Realistic 500 Calorie daily Diet Plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFPrime, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read this article: (here)

A new study announced this week suggests that an extreme, low-calorie diet could beat Type 2 diabetes in just four months.

According to a study presented at Chicago's Radiological Society of North America this week, a low-calorie diet eliminated insulin dependence and reduced amounts of dangerous fats around the heart in obese patients with Type 2 diabetes -- even better than any prescribed medication.

To reach their findings, a team from Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands analyzed cardiac function and pericardial fat (the fat around the heart) in 15 patients with Type 2 diabetes -- including seven men and eight women. Subjects consumed a diet consisting of just 500 calories a day for four months. Changes in body mass index (BMI) were also measured.

"It is striking to see how a relatively simple intervention of a very low-calorie diet effectively cures Type 2 diabetes," said lead researcher Sebastian Hammer in a statement. "Moreover, these effects are long term, illustrating the potential of this method. Lifestyle interventions may have more powerful beneficial cardiac effects than medication in these patients."

While the results are promising, not all patients are eligible for this type of therapy, warned the researchers, adding that patients should consult with their doctors before beginning any type of reduced-calorie diet.

In another study announced this summer, scientists from Newcastle University in the UK enlisted 11 people with Type 2 diabetes in an eight-week diet, cutting their daily calorie intake to just 600 calories a day. Within a week, the volunteers' blood sugar levels returned to normal. Within months after returning to a normal diet, seven of the 11 volunteers remained free of the disease.

So, it got me thinking..Last year I joined a gym..and while currently I've lost my..passion for going to it as much as I used to, I know I need to cut back on what I'm eating and eating better to see more results. I'm not one much for the kitchen or cooking, or eating at home even. And I know that doesn't help really. But anyways--I'd like to make an attempt at this, and I figure maybe there are a few other people on here who maybe would like the chance at the same. Anyone here looking to join in, post ideas, thoughts, receipts etc. Anyone want to join their local gym and set up a goal to lose some lbs etc? Please feel free to post, and maybe we can all work together here. I'd basically like some feedback as to any sort of diet plans, cooking, foods etc that could realistically be done, consumed, and keep it around the 500 calorie a day mark. Any ideas? Please post..

2. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

500 Calories is a starvation diet. Don't even think about it without a doctor's supervision, and if you ask, the doctor will most likely tell you what a bad idea it is, and will probably recommend something more reasonable.

How about the Weight Watchers point system? It works pretty well.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I'm going to be honest, I don't eat breakfast or lunch, I don't drink anything from 6 AM to 4 PM, and I have one serving of dinner with a dessert. I've been doing this for months, not for a diet but because I just don't wake up early enough to eat breakfast, and don't feel like eating school lunches or taking the time to eat it while I could be doing homework. Point of this tale? I've done it for four months and only lost 14 pounds. Find a better way.

4. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My brother and his wife are on that, they've both dropped about 20lbs so far.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I lost 50 lbs by eating less and doing light excercise. Set up a realistic goal as 500 cal would be tough.

Food choices: Rice, Chicken Breasts, Egg whites, veggies, light Yogurt, Canned beans and oatmeal.

6. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How many egg whites is considered..well balanced?

7. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A simple diet I used was to just to cut out fast/fried food, sweets, red meat, and do cardio 3-4 four times a week. I lost 30 pounds in about 5 months just running 2-3 miles a day.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck doing a 500 calorie diet and having the energy to do anything apart from feel your stomach shredding itself. You'd be much better off cutting out sugars, cutting down on carbs and exercising 3-5 times a week.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would be wary about going on such a low calorie diet in order to lose weight, as your body would essentially go into starvation mode, which would really screw up your metabolism and in doing so, your glycemic cycle. I mean, sure, you'll lose weight, because you're basically only taking in like a third of the energy your body needs to maintain itself.

Excercise trumps calorie-cutting.

10. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd LOVE to be able to run like that..that's what got me back into the gym was wanting to run again..I can manage about a mile running, or go for about 10mins last I tried..But I have what my doctor things is tendonitis or bone spurs in my one leg and I get a sharp deep pain up the front of my shin right around in between my ankle on the top of my foot..I've tried just walking, changing shoes etc, and it always comes. Kinda sucks cause more than anything I want to be able to run.

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read that the best way to lose weight is to cut your caloric intake by 500 calories.
    It said most people consume 3,000-4,000 calories a day. Start at 3,000, then drop down to 2,500, and so on until you reach 1,500 per day and stay there. It takes time, but it's the most reliable they said. Of course, they mentioned that you should involve exercise along with it, but counting and reducing calories to a certain number is the best, they claim.

Who am I to argue with that? Besides, when you do these crash diets, your body can have an identity crisis of sorts and reverse all you've done and you'll pack it back on faster and heavier.

Patience and steadiness is the key.

12. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of my problem was I was eating at weird times, sometimes skipping meals, sometimes eating once a day and sometimes eating 3 times a day. That causes it to store more calories being so erratic. So I started doing the Slim-Fast shakes before my wedding in 2010, and dropped 30 pounds before the big day, since it helped regulate my body, since it thought it was getting the proper 3 meals a day

13. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah..that's my thing. I need to be more regular. I generally eat a basic breakfast of eggs and a link of sausage with milk, then skip lunch or grab like a chicken pattie sandwich and fruit and a diet pepsi or water..and then maybe i'll do dinner at like Subways or eat a granola bar if anything..then other times I do Arbys/Wendys/ or pizza..But usually never 3 meals in one day..I'm just not usually that hungry.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I've read this too, the idea was to reduce caloric intake slowly, so that the body adapts to the reduced energy intake without metabolism slowing down.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In the past, I've lost weight extremely successfully just by reducing my intake of saturated fats. That's all there is to it really. Obviously exercise is an amazing bonus, but the body is capable of steadily burning stored fat reserves just through normal daily activities. Just eat lots of fruit, vegetables and check for the staurated fat % of anything you buy and you should be fine over a period of 4-6 months. I lost about 2 stone (not sure what that is in American weight :p ) this way although that was few years ago and I missed the nachos too much!

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

I'm sure you have heard about this professor. Everyone is different, but this low cal "diet" worked for him.
    Remove the Twinkies and you essentally have the same idea.

Not really. In order to lose weight you need a combo of both. If you burn 500 calories a day by running and require 2000 calories for normal dalily activity and eat 4000 calories a day, you will not loose any weight.

When I was in high school I worked out a lot, played football and rugby, but was still a bigger guy. Why? Cause after I got home from school i'd eat a box of Oreo cookies and drank liter of coke. You need balance.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As someone that's always had weight issues this diet sounds like a bad idea. You'd just make yourself ill doing it. It probably puts the 'die' into 'diet'.

One in each hand. :p 

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I totally agree with this. Five years ago I was walking five miles and doing a little bit of weight lifting everyday and dropped over 50 pounds. I could literally eat whatever the hell I wanted. You have to keep maintaining that though, because it's easy to get out of the habit. I got sick after losing all the weight which prevented me from walking or working out for awhile and I put all the weight back on. I need to get back into that routine.

19. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks to Google and Yahoo! Answers, 1 stone is 14 pounds. You've lost 28 pounds. Respectable.

20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

this sounds like exactly what i need to do, im 6'1" 330 lbs who has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. im gonna talk to my doctor about this plan see what she thinks.