Customs: WANTED: Someone with LED or Lionel electronics expertise (or both)

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Cybertronian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy, y'all.

I've recently bought 2 pkgs. worth of translucent "Energy Cubes" (24; and will likely buy more) with intentions of filling a Lionel Trains 9140/6462 series Gondola. The O-Scale gondola's inside dimensions are 9" x about 1.5", and about 1-1.5" deep. What I want to commission is a light source, that could be powered by the track's 3rd rail (typical of Lionel lighted cars) or independently (by small batteries, like the lighted Impossible Toys cubes.)

Enclosed are 2 examples of the gondola I describe. Distributed through dozens of starter sets in the late 1970s and 1980s (I got my set with these same 2 gondolas in 1984, the same Christmas as Ironhide -- my 1st TF), they are very, very common and a regular sight at multiple booths in flea markets and train shows. If power is collected from the rails, Lionel has several cars with electrical pickups routed through the trucks (wheels), where a collector wheel is hidden. Most of them are passenger cars, but not one is a gondola.

Why am I going through this? I want to have a train pull an illuminated load of Energon cubes. In time, I may find a 2-8-4 steam locomotive to have painted and modded into Astrotrain. (I already know which locomotive to start with.)

Let me know if you think you want to tackle the problem, and give me an estimate of cost.
    -- Cybertronian.

Attached Files:

2. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

BUMP.
    I really want glowing cubes on the rails!