WANTED: Microsoft Windows XP Disk ((Please Read))

Discussion in 'Wanted Items' started by Dark Galvatron, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Dark Galvatron

Dark Galvatron Banned

Hi there.
    Right now I am sending this post through my LG Desktop computer. About 10 minutes ago my Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop computer crashed on me, and it was something due to Windows 7. My aunt has been telling me all along I needed to go back to Windows XP, so, now I am. The only problem is, I don't have a CD to do the Windows XP installation with.

In conclusion:
    The situation at hand has forced me to ask this one simple favor. If anyone here on the boards has a disk that contains all setup files, etc. for Windows XP, and would be willing to lend it to me so I can get my laptop computer fixed, this would be a great favor. I planned on wiping/reloading the machine anyways, since 7 wasn't good enough for me, and now this is the perfect opportunity. I don't have the money to go out and buy a CD, but if someone here is willing just to lend me the disk long enough to get the problem taken care of, that would be a tremendous help to me. I will return the disk when I am finished, as the install should only take 1 day.

If you would be so kind as to help me out, please PM me and let me know. The only reason I turn to the boards for help is because nobody in my family has a CD for the XP program, and the CDs are ridiculously high in price.

2. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

You sure it was windows 7? Which build were you using?

3. GrantB

GrantB Drink it

News Credits:
    Regarding XP price, if you're going to Staples or Best Buy or whatnot, then yes, your price will be "ridiculous" ($400+).

Newegg.com offers the one-disk edition for $135, which is much less ridiculous.
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
    This one-disk edition is what we use at my company, and what I have installed on the Windows partition of my Mac.
    (They have a 64-bit edition too, if your laptop is such.)

It's more expensive than free (aka "piracy"), yes, but then you'll still have it if your PC crashes again, and you won't have to worry about any anti-piracy hardware check shenanigans or whatever MS might have in there.

4. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are you just looking for the CDs or do you also need the license key? If it's a Dell there should be a Windows Certified lic key on the computer/laptop as well as what type of CD that you need. (XP Home SP1, XP Home SP2, etc)

As long as you have the key, getting the CDs from someone is not piracy since by M$ thinking you pay for the license to use (the activation key). The important part is making sure the CD that you get matches the key that you have (if you do have one). That and using someone else's key wouldn't work either if they're still using XP. When you go to activate the new installation it'll tell you that the key is in use.

5. GrantB

GrantB Drink it

News Credits:
    Since his laptop had Windows 7, I'm guessing that it came with OEM Windows 7, and the license key that he has is for Windows 7.

It's probably a safe assumption that his key will only work with Windows 7 and not XP.

6. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah, I assumed the opposite. The Windows 7 launch date is Oct 22nd so I figured he installed a beta version of 7 (which is probably why it's screwed up) on an old Dell. To my knowledge Dell hasn't sold the Inspiron 2200 for several years now.

7. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

It can be beta, RC, or the RTM version, we don't know.

Also its common sense to know that windows 7 keys don't work with XP.

8. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    You could also try the Dell Recovery Program, CTRL +F11 . Warning, it will return all your settings back to the default, day you bought it. You will lose all your data and applications.

9. valiant_knight

valiant_knight Well-Known Member

I sent him an OEM XP home cd, that will get him up and going as well as work with the dell product key