Want vs. Need

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you find yourself saying "I want that toy" or "I need that toy?" I've been catching myself saying need lately.

It's silly but it also kinda scares me that I can get that obsessive about getting a toy.

I guess it's as close to an addiction than I would like to admit.

2. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I'm cutting it close... so I went cold turkey :lol  actually no I just been buying waaaay less and playing more video games.

3. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Ive had to chill out due to Christmas around the corner and my girl saying no more till xmas. But I know im going to get the ones I want for xmas so hell yeah!

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I say "I want that toy" all the time. I sound like my boys.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think I ever say "I need that" I guess I come close with "I've gotta get that" but I think I frequently say "I want that"

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I want alot of things. I need very little.

But I am known to say "I want that!" quite frequently. But just because I want it doesn't mean I'll actually get it.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll occasionally say, 'I need that toy to complete my Alternators collection,' but not 'I need the Classics 2-pack.'

-Tony!

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wanna say I utter "need" more than "want." Can't really say why. Maybe I need to see a shrink. XD

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Want, definitely want. I went through the "need" stage for a bit a few years back, but I got over it.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I've never said I "needed" a toy, and very infrequently I'll say "I want that toy".

Usually it's simply "Ooo" if it's something that catches my attention and "OooOOOooo" when it's something I really like.

11. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

It's more of "will I actually play with this or let it sit on a shelf." kinda thing. Thats why I passed up on the 3" titatams.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I say I 'want' a toy a LOT, but if I pass on it initially I find it becomes easier to leave it on the shelf as time goes by.

I never say 'need' because thats an absurd exaggeration and grown adults should be able to make that distinction.

Recently though I found myself wanting more and more, I figure if I can afford it, what the hell. However I've found something that has curbed that, I bought a Dagobah X-wing and Saga Luke months ago, and said to myself that I can only open it at Christmas. This wait, keeping it in box has really helped me on just leaving things at the shop.

Its weird, the more I type about it the more it sounds like an addiction... Maybe it is? Maybe the X-wing is a toy patch? Thats scares me a bit actually... because toy addiction would be a purely psychological addiction. No excuses for my weakness... eep.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i say need a little bit more then i should....but thats ok, cuz i dont always follow through with the purchase of the toys i need....but i try....and yeah, i think we could all use a plastic patch...

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I've only said I "needed" three toys:

RiD Storm Jet (hey, it was years ago, so don't judge me.)

G1 Sunstreaker

G1 Mirage

I still need them.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Same here, pretty much. I've never said that I need a toy and meant that I have a definite, life-pausing need for it. I've said it in jest before, though.

16. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

When I first saw photos of a finished Masterpiece Convoy, I do recall saying "I've gotta have that!" which is essentially the same as need. Other than that, no. I don't need toys. Coffee, cigarettes and alcohol, on the other hand...

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wants here. The only thing that gets need status is if I need something to complete a set/line.

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

never said need....but i do say really really want :D 

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I say 'need' all the time. But then, I'm diagnosed OCD and Transformers fulfills one of my obsessions. At least I don't wash my hands all day.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I know I don't need any transformers. I am buying all of classics (out of want), but my view on the other stuff, like a year's worth of cybertron and beast wars reissues, its hard, but I accept that I can buy it later online when I'm better off financially.

Didnt used to be like that.

I used to make almost daily trips to stores during armada and energon, determined to get every single mold released in the lines despite being on minimum wage. Thats right people, I seriously hunted for armada smokescreen. looking back now, I realize that should have tipped me off that something was wrong.

Alternators were bad for me too. but I genuinely love every figure in the line. I remember going to both targets in my area every single day for almost two weeks when prowl and decepticharge came out, and finally getting them was awesome. the next day I came back to target. I had no reason. I knew nothing new was out that I was after. there I was, looking regardless. oh, thats not good. oh hey, I did it the next day too. that desperate for something new, that I go to stores despite knowing nothing is out? that's bad. that's very bad.

and so I banned myself from any transformer that wasnt an alternator, because those things come out so rarely How long would my ban last? I decided until the end of the current line. oh man, it sucked. I remember carrying a cybertron galvatron around the store even though I wasnt going to buy it. I literally yelled at Primus the first time I saw him in a store.

But now I'm off my ban, bought all the classics available here, and have no desire for the cybertron toys I see everywhere. yeah, they're cool, but I don't feel that need anymore. I fixed myself. the desire was there right up until I lifted my ban, when I realized that there's other stuff, more useful stuff I can get with the money. paying huge amounts of cash for stuff that is going to sit on a shelf is stupid. dropping 10-20 dollars every now and then on it is fine. buying every supreme and leader class figure in one trip just because I can afford it would be downright idiotic.

I hope I never get as bad as I was before. the only thing I'm collecting now is the classics line (and any alternators I see), and thats because I love the characters and the toys. they don't sit on a shelf. they're transformed almost every day, multiple times. I tinker around with them a lot. they're worth it. unless a transformer can meet this criteria, I won't buy it.