Want to start collecting Shattered Glass...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by star_ling, Apr 26, 2012.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am really starting to like the Shattered Glass line and wouldn't mind grabbing a few of the line. I am only really interested in the Decepticons plus Rodimus and Optimus (their price alone scare me quite a bit) so I was wondering where are the best places to pick up some of the older figures besides ebay. I don't really want to pay insane prices but I plan to get one at a time anyway. Any advice on collecting this particular line would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My advice: think again, if you value your wallet.

Most of the original assortment is going for ridiculous money on the secondary market, for whatever reason.

3. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was afraid of that. I mean I always knew they were a little bit more expensive but was hoping that was just ebay. It's a great line, unfortunately I wasn't really collecting when they first came out. I may just grab a few figures still, or try to pick up this years set at least.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look around Junkion on here or other fan sites and you might be able to find some decent deals on certain figures. eBay may still be worth checking out just in case some are listed really cheaply because the seller wants to move them immediately.

As posted above though, think hard about it because if you do start collecting, the earlier releases are some of the most expensive Botcon figures out there. As much flack as FunPub takes for churning out SG figures, interest in Rodimus, Optimus and some of the others isn't flagging nor are the prices dropping.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not just start fresh with this BotCon? There is an Optimus in a souvenir set and Soundwave in the main box set. Looking across all of SG Starscream is fairly prominent, but neither him nor the perpetually background Megatron/Galvatron really do anything that interesting (and Galvatron is pretty cheap anyway). Then the only really conspicious lack if Rodimus, but we're all SOL there (well, there is a KO).

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Buy This years set. No one clearly wants it you won't have to much of a hard time getting some like Laser Optimus/Ultra Magnus, Tracks, Soundwave, Treadshot, Straxus)

7. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SG Starscream is one of the main figures that I want. So I am more willing to spend a little more on him. This years Straxxus is a very nice looking figure that I also definitely want.

8. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well these guys go for between $4-500 each so I would probably forget about them if you are looking for stuff at a decent price. or go with the KOs for about $40 each.

9. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I knew they were bad but I didn't know they were THAT bad. Ouch. That beats the Seeker box set by a mile. I am most definitely eyeing up those knock offs, I just have to space out the larger purchases. I am going to try and get SG Starscream first and alternate between smaller and bigger purchases. I haven't bought anything from the movie line or Prime so I have an itch to buy some stuff.

10. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

if you go on ebay sometimes....SOMETIMES you can get lucky and find something that has been posted but with typos in the title. It isn't common but sometimes you can get lucky and find good stuff that isn't drawing a lot of attention.

11. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is a possiblity, but it would require a more than normal amount of time on Ebay. I sometimes spend too much time on there anyway.....:eek: 

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I started collecting the Shattered Glass Decepticons last year. Like you, I'm also looking for SG Prime, but find it way too expensive to acquire at the moment, since I started kind of late in the game with Botcon stuff. Currently, I've already acquired SG Megatron, SG Starscream, Astrotrain, Rampage, Divebomb, Heatwave, ML Soundwave, Thundercracker and Galvatron. My advice, is to check Junkion Exchange often, as there are people there who are probably selling below eBay prices. Of the ones listed above, only Starscream and ML Soundwave were acquired on eBay, and I waited patiently for months to get them at good prices, finally acquiring em last December.

If you're starting to collect, I would suggest you think about who you really want to collect and not just for the sake of them being SG. When I started, I originally envisioned collecting SG versions of classic Decepticons, but with the way FP is putting out fringe characters like Straxus, Octopunch and Treadbolt, I'm honestly thinking of slowing down a bit. If you really do want to collect though, a good place to start would be this year's figures, and then working your way back to get Thundercracker and Galvatron (instead of Megatron) who are still affordable. Starscream would be the hardest to get at the moment, but others like Sideswipe, Heatwave and the other minicons not to mention repurposed exclusives like Astrotrain tend to pop up at reasonable prices. The thing about this year's set of course is that people are also starting to consider getting into SG, which might make it harder to get older figures. But again, if you're really interested, patience is key. I must've seen more than a dozen Starscreams finish at about $130-150 last year before finally finding a BIN at $110 shipped, which I grabbed immediately.

13. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i have botcon galvatron that i would not mind getting rid of...he has all his accessories and his file card...no instructions though.