Walther P38

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    You know, there's something I have never seen anyone talk about over the years when it came to G1 Megatron's alt mode, the fact that a Walther P38 is the last gun that would (or could) ever be fitted with a silencer, scope & arm stock. Outside of some "new" retro models, it's an antique pistol used by Germans in WW2 for extremely close range (defensive & execution) shooting. Pimping it out would never make sense, and would actually do nothing to help with the shooting or its accuracy.

It always confused me (once I was old enough to realize it) that they based Megatron's alt mode on such an outdated and equally wimpy weapon compared to what else was on the market in the 80's. I'm guessing they probably looked at other models but couldn't do the same kind of transform with them, nor easily add things like a silencer & arm stock.

But whatever, it still looks cool and everything... just making an observation is all. Not trying to start a big debate on accuracy or anything :) 

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've actually heard the P38 reffered to as a "ladies' gun." I think the magnum mold would have made a much better choice.

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    well it probably has to do with the fact that the gun wasn't designed to be the leader of a mass army.

it was just one of a bunch of gun-robos that came out in Japan. Why Hasbro or Takara or who ever was chosing toys for the decepticon leader, chose that particular toy, I dont think any one knows. There were two other gun-robo candidates as well, but they kinda sucked, and never came with any add on parts

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    exactly right. the megatron toy was actually designed and created in the 70s. It wasn't called a transformer then either. All I know is that as a kid, I didn't give a crap about what model the gun was... just the fact that it transformed into a toy that looked like a REAL gun! was awesome for me. I also loved how you could convert it into a rifle or add a silencer to it.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron's got a stock, silencer and scope because that's what the Walther P38 from the 1960s TV show, "The Man from UNCLE," had. The toy was originally based on that gun.

6. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

I think they picked it for Megatron because is has historical connections to Nazi Germany and representation of pure Evil.

Megatron's design comes from an old TV show "The Man From U.N.C.L.E".
    http://www.theunclegun.com/
    [​IMG]

The website indicates that it was used by CIA, but that may be fiction. I don't know much about the Uncle gun, but they refer to it as a carbine which is a short rifle. The silencer is only the end part of the long barrel accessory, the rest could be a barrel extension to increase accuracy over distance. The concept is that with the carbine accessories you essentially have a small rifle that is good for shooting at a distance, but you can dissassemble it for concealment or to make it more portable. This type of seperate component setup is useful for clandestine operations.

The P38 was designed in 1938. For its time and through out WWII it was very advanced and considered reliable, accurate, and comfortable to carry. These things are what matters with a real pistol. It had advanced features like a manual safely, a loaded chamber indicator, a double action trigger (the first of the full power military handguns). This is a big deal, being able to carry the gun loaded, but with the hammer down safely.

I would not characterize the P38 as wimpy. When you're taking real firearms, the weapon is only as effective as its user. For example an expert with a 9mm P38 will always be more effective than a novice with a .50 cal Desert Eagle.

When firing a real weapon at a target (especially a pistol) it is not nearly as easy as people think. Magnum caliber pistols are ONLY effective in the hands of an expert. For the majority of users a 9mm is about right for their balance of skill and effectiveness to hit the target. That's why the US military switched from a 1911 .45 to a 9mm Beretta. Remember with real firearms it only matters how big your bullet is IF you hit the target, its not like movies where you're guaranteed to hit.

The current US military standard issue pistol is a 9mm Beretta, exact same wimpy caliber as the old P38. But I bet it hurts pretty good when you get hit with it.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Wow. So much cool info.! I have actually wondered some of the same things already mentioned, so many thanks for all the informative posts!

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All true. However, we are going back to the .45 caliber in the next few years (can't recall the target date offhand). The 9 mm carried more rounds, but apparently research (by us and some study by the LAPD) pointed out that the 9 mm took about three rounds to stop a person. .45 gets the job done in one, and (or so I've heard from Vietnam-era co-workers) can physically halt a man running at you.

Far as Megs goes, I'm torn between nostalgia for the original and the belief that a newer, bigger gun would look cooler to me and be easier to engineer a transformation into.

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I kinda think the Desert Eagle is kinda overrated anyways.

Too Hollywood for my taste.

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I wish my HK USP .40 could transform into Megatron.

11. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

I was a weapons instructor briefly in the US Army. Never was a fan of the standard issue M-9 9mm. I actually carried a Walther PP (variant of the PPK that had a slightly longer barrel for improved accuracy). The accuracy on that weapon was unbelievable. For close range I'd rather have accuracy. A .32 may be wimpy, but if your aim is true, it gets the job done better than relying on brute force. Like Golgo stated, people get wrapped around the axle about size. My CO had a Desert Eagle and couldn't hit the broadside of the barn, while my Walther was on target everytime. The weapon felt custom made for my hand and is very well made. From a gun person perspective the Walther is a fine weapon, but from a kid/toy perspective I'm sure if the mold wasn't already there a more robust weapon would no doubt have been used. I'm sure if the US hadn't freaked out about toy guns, future versions of Megatron would have been a more powerful handgun or rifle.

12. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

If he is that size then I will be happy. It still looks good like that.

13. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best topic EVER. As a fan of G1 gun Megatron, I really appreciate all the info you guys are posting here, thanks a lot for sharing :) 

14. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, i agree, thanks a lot for sharing. :) 

15. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

This thread tapped into my other main hobby, firearms and shooting. I can go on for days talking about weapons. It's really a lot of fun as long as you respect the responsibility that comes along with a real weapon and understand that the thing can kill you or someone else in a split second. I grew up around retired military and gun collectors, so its second nature to me.

I'm a 1911 man myself, although I do have a Beretta 92FS. And I got to say that 9 is pretty frikin sweet especially with 15 rounds +1. The thing is super reliable. Only reason I prefer the .45 is I've practiced enough to have the confidence to know I can lay those slugs in there to make every round count. I also prefer the immediate responsiveness of single action trigger, once again a hair trigger requires more training for safety.
    But before I had built up my shooting skills, I would take the 9 with an extra 7 rounds in a heart beat because I know I'm going to miss my target often and I'll need the extra rounds and the reduced recoil to be effective.

It would be a good thing if the US went back to the .45, it just requires more training to use effectively. Zombie, I can't believe the guy actually had an Eagle being in the military, that's really taking your chances. I have owned 2 Mark VII in the past, one used and one brand new. I could not get either to run reliably. I will say though when it did run flawlessly it was a sight to behold, it has like a 2 foot diameter fireball come out of it. At the range, people would just stop what they are doing and stand there in awe, which is cool and annoying at the same time. Then the fucker would jam and I would look like an ass showboat. If the Desert was reliable, I would like it. It is very accurate weapon with the polygonal rifling, that is once you learn the recoil and get used to it. But it IS purely a recreational firearm, they even have a "Magnum Movies" link on the Desert Eagle website. When you see shit like that you know it's all about fun and entertainment, not combat.

16. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

actually special US forces (delta, SEALS, etc.) are still using the 1911 .45.
    but if the entinre DOD is going back to the old reliable, that would be awesome.
    im in the navy and we currently use the 92fs for security. if we switched back to the 1911, i just might switch rates form IT to MAA! lol

there is a lot of good info on the history of these weapons on wikipedia.
    i read there the reason we switched to 9mm was for NATO compliance.
    but im sure it was just one of several reasons th .45 was retired.

and i swear if i hear another person call megatron's alt mode barrel extension a "silencer" im going to go kill a domo kun.

LOL the exact same thing always happens to me when i bring my .357 to the range! hahahaha
    you just hear 9mm going *pop opo pop*
    then you hear *KA-BOOM* and everyone stops to watch me shoot lol

17. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

When I was in the 1911 was still in the inventory (this was about 5 years ago). Most units are MTOE'd for the 9, but some units still have them in their armories. We actually got a shipment of 1911 shoulder holsters out of the blue once and didn't know what to do with the darn things (I believe many went home with the supply guys). SF types are pretty much allowed to carry whatever works best for them. My cousin is a SEAL and carries the MP5 as well as the .45.

When I deployed for 9-11 our Battalion commander had a Patton complex and carried the old Colt Army and let us carry whatever we wanted. My Captain was a moron and bought into all the hype that surrounds the Desert Eagle. It's a nice pistol, don't get me wrong, but your right Golgo, I wouldn't trust my life to it in the field.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you hit the nail on the head right there. From Hasbro's POV, it was probably a matter of price, size, and features. With the first 1984 line of Transformers, both leaders were the largest toys, and both had large accessories separate from the robot. (Trailer base for Prime, Stock/silencer that makes an artillery cannon for Megs)

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've heard of similar complaints taken from field reports. I know Police departments have been moving away from 9mm pistols for the lack of stopping power. They've been going to .40 cals, because they're not as prone to go through someone.

My dad served during 'Nam, and said the .45s were plenty accurate, if you knew how to fire it. He had no problem with it, firing the way they trained him to.

20. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i have all 3 gun robos. i can safely say that teh p38 is indeed the best choice, asthetic wise. Magnum is one bad mofo, but he's very scrawny in the legs and is all chest mass, browning is cool as f#@k, and right evil looking, but too small. p38 has the right balance of evil and size mass and looks burly in bot mode.