Customs: Walmart Paints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Anti-Venom, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Could I strengthen walmart paints by mixing it with future floor finish, and if so would it still be crappy?

2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still be crappy.

3. Anti-Venom

Would it not adhere properly or would it be a durability issue?

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I disagree, as I have used "craft" paint and Future with some good results. Is it exactly on par with a model paint? No. Is it decently comparable? Yes.

5. Anti-Venom

Thank you very much for this answer as I was getting kind of worried.
    I have no local hobby shop, and the nearest one is like an hour and a half away.
    At least now I'll be able to go to Wal-Mart and pick up some paint for my first bash.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My local hobby shop just closed a few months ago. It looks like I'll be buying paint online now :rolleyes: 

As I said, I've used some "craft" paint, but it's always mixed with something else. By itself, it's just trash. A practice I used to employ was mixing Testor's clear coat into "craft" paint. That's pretty much the same process with using Future.

I painted this custom using craft paint + Testor's clear coat: Shackblast - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM My main regret is that the brush strokes are pretty obvious on that one. It was one of my firsts though, and I've been heavily thinking about just redoing the custom at some point. The texture is still a little rough (due to the paint mixture) as well.

I'd also recommend that if you do decide to use this paint - test it out on a scrap figure/plastic part first. :) 

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I use Folk Art and Ceramcoat in conjunction with Krylon, Tamiya, and Testors. Some of the craft paint, particularly the Folk Art metallics series, is actually pretty good by itself and doesn't need any mixing. Perhaps I've just been luckier than some.