Walmart has lost it's mind and locked up the DVDs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeolesDru, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Today I was in Walmart and I noticed the new release DVDs (Hell, the whole section) are now under lock and key. I said to the employees (who were still putting up the cabinet faces) "Hey, you locking up the DVDs?" and one of them says "Yeah, we lose $10,000 a year from DVD walking out of the store" and I said "Well, locking them up will sure prevent them from going out of the store - maybe you should just use this space for something else, like ties or pot-holders."

Anyway, how crazy is that? I've always been glad to be a PC gamer, because they already lock up the console games. I do have a Wii, and when I want to peruse Wii games, I avoid Walmart (and Target) like the plague. So now they're going to lock up most of the movies. Which means I would have to track down an "associate" to open the cabinet - and if I'm not set on a particular movie, what am I supposed to do? Stand there and read the backs of the DVD boxes under the baleful gaze of an annoyed associate? I'm tempted to just for spite - but I suppose I'll shop for movies elsewhere instead.

Just really stupid. If only there were some sort of technology they could put in the DVD packaging that would sound some sort of alarm if you tried to transport it out of the store without paying for it. I mean, sheesh - I already have to break out the jaws of life when I get home to get into the packaging.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If it's worth buying, then it's worth the minute or so to find someone with the key to get it out. I have no issues with retailers protecting their inventory.

3. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I can understand places wanting to keep their product walking out the door. It does kinda suck though that I have to ask for a DVD out of a locked cabinet. I like to look at the special features and see whats on there and if it justifies spending the extra money on the 2 disc set's.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

*shrug*

I buy everything like that online now anyway. Can't remember the last time I bought a DVD or a game from Wal-mart or other brick & mortar stores.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That kinda sucks, but the only people you can really blame are the people who stole the DVDs in the first place.

6. PeolesDru

News Credits:
    I didn't say I had any issue with "retailers protecting their inventory". What I have an issue with is a retailer that is doing something stupid and counterproductive. The only thing that would be stupider is if Walmart kept the DVDs off the floor entirely and completely inaccessible to customers. "Hey do you have DVDs?" "Yes, sir, we do - but we don't sell them" "Do you have the new Indiana Jones movie?" "Yes, sir, it's right in the back. But like I said, we don't sell them". It's really a non-issue because in a few months when it occurs to them that NOT selling DVDs hurts them at least as much as shrinkage, then they'll get rid of the locks and maybe have their people pay more attention to the security system being triggered by shoplifters.

It's not going to affect me a whole lot at all - I'll just buy my movies at Target or even Amazon. Hell, if I know exactly what I want and there's actually an "associate" within range I'll even buy the movie at Walmart. But it's a pain in the ass, it discourages browsing, and there are already alternative security measures.

I'll even make another point: If an associate gets a movie out for me and then allows me to wander off with it to complete the rest of my shopping then that ruins the whole premise of locking them up in the first place. So unless they're THAT stupid, I would have to assume that when they get a movie out for you then you are required to purchase it immediately. So if I'm there on grocery day, I get to stand in line to check out twice. If I'm going to check out twice, then I may as well go by Target and see if they have any new Transformers in the first place.

7. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    As long as they don't start locking up the toys, I'm OK with this.

8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

not only are they gonna lose sales, they're gonna end up having people download the movies even more then they arlready are.

9. PeolesDru

News Credits:
    I can blame the retailer for being hostile to customers. Sure, their purpose is to be hostile to shoplifters, but they're including customers in their dragnet.

It's really the same gripe I would have about the shrink-wrap and the stickers. But that stuff I can understand because it's meant to maintain the integrity of the packaging from the factory to the floor - passing through all those unsupervised hands. So I'm willing to put up with that to ensure that my new DVD actually contains the movie I paid for.

I'd rather pay a slightly higher, shrinkage-compensating price for my DVDs than deal with the hassle (so, Target) or have low prices and no hassle (Amazon). Someone else already mentioned that they buy all of their DVDs online and I guess I'm one step closer to that approach.

It just seems kind of dumb for brick and mortar stores to go and flush away their only advantages.

10. PeolesDru

News Credits:
    Ha. Maybe they should lock up everything.

Here's how it would work: Customers wouldn't be allowed into the store - so it would basically be a warehouse. Hmm... Actually the customers would just go onto a website to order what they wanted fromt the warehouse. It probably wouldn't be very efficient, so they'd have to wait a couple of days to get their items. Ooo! The warehouse could just ship their items to their homes! That would be amazing! We could call it that: "Amazing". Nah, not elegant enough... perhaps a variation: "Amazon"

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It will become a big hassle just to buy a DVD at Wal-Mart (not to say that I do). Every Wal-Mart that I have ever been to are so under-staffed that you have to wander to another department to get them page a person that is suppose to be in a particular department. People will not stay in one department to keep an eye on their inventory. Sometimes, it would take 20 minutes to get a desired item.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, this. Or Netflix, which ROCKS.
    Also this.

And y'know, I don't even remember putting the OP on my ignore list.

13. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Didn't they do this when DVD's first came out? Kmart has always done it with new releases. I just usually buy my movies at Sams Club or Target.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd have to agree with this. Why shouldn't they try to prevent theft? People seem to still buy console games when at Walmart. The scary glass doesn't seem to affect consumers on that note... why not DVD's?

OP - what do you think they should be doing to prevent financial loss? Just curious what other options would be viable in your opinion.

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    K-Mart locks up the old stuff and has the newest DVDs out on cardboard stand ups. I wouldn't mind so much if I could ever find an employee when I needed them. Last time I bough a game there it took them 10 minuets to find some one with a key because the guy that had the one they keep at the counter took it with him when he went to lunch.

16. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'm curious how effective this will be. There's already theft detection devices in the cases and at the doors.

To me, they just added another useless and pointless step. "You want that DVD? Okay, I will get it out and give it to you so you can steal it like you usually do."

The only way to make this effective would be to section off the electronics department and force people to pay for the DVD's immediately at the Electronics checkout.

Of course, it may just make more sense for Walmart to put out catalogs containing all the info from the back of each disc and converting those giant locked cabinets into fricking vending machines. Customer pays for movie, gets movie, and best of all, there'd be no way to steal from them. Plus it's productive and allows their workers to find something else to do besides hover around the cabinet.

17. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I helped loss prevention out a long time ago. A lot of people do not take the boxes with the dvds. They find a place then crack it open. They do this with a lot of items. Anti Theft becomes useless at this point.

Tbh i have never had a problem getting a case opened at a walmart. Sometimes i have to wait a few mins while the associate finishes showing another customer something but even at 2 or 3am theres someone in the electronics section.

Kmart is a different story. The on by my house appears not to have anyone working in sporting goods or electronics at all after the department managers are no longer around.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Er, this ain't new. I've been in several WMs that already do this, some for years. I presume it's up to the individual store; if they have a big enough problem with theft, they lock 'em up. Sounds pretty reasonable.

Never been a problem for me. Other than the very occasional midnight run to grab a new release of a BIG movie that warrants its own fancypants display pallet, the only DVDs I'm interested in at WM are in the $5 bin, which is usually halfway to the automotive department and decidedly not under lock and key.

19. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

same here, usually cheaper too for me anyhow

20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah i wonder if they'll make you pay for it right away or will you be able to bring it around with you....

and if you can bring it around...i dont see the point as if there's a bunch of people, will they remember all the people that asked to look and those that actually got something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.