Walmart F**king Sucks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GladiatorPrime, Dec 26, 2006.

1. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

My Retired Mom Gave Me A $86 Adobe Photoshop 5.0 Program For Christmas...
    So I Tried It On My Computer, Program Is Too New For Mine To Work On
    But, It Doesn't Work With My Computer... I'm Not Very Computer Savy...so I Wouldn't Know For Sure If It Would Work Until I Tired It!....so I Went This Morning To Return It!

They Won't Take It Back!! Bastards!!!!
    I Told Them, Nothings Wrong With It...its Too New For My Computer!!
    Apparently Software Sales Are Now Finaly!!!

My Family Doesn't Have Much Money, So Needless To Say...
    My Mom's Hurt...she Thought She Was Doing Something Nice For Me!!
    My Christmas Was Ruined!

And $86 Is Out The Window!

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry, but that's a standard procedure. It's a shame though. Perhaps you should consider upgrading your OS. Also, turn off the caps lock.

3. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Check consumer agencies. In Australia, most shops SAY we cant return used software, but kick up enough stink, and by consumer law, we must. It might be the same there, even if you hack getting store credit.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Word 2 Pooka. You could also contact the Wal-Mart customer service department by going online (walmart.com, I'd guess) and trying to get ahold of someone who handles these types of problems.

5. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What version of Windows are you running? Also, do you have all the Windows Service packs installed? Photoshop requires Service Pack 4 for Win2K, and Service Pack 1 or 2 for XP.

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

While I sympathize, don't blame WalMart (this time). These policies are in place in most stores for any software or other material that could be copied and then returned. Software boxes usually have compatability requirements clearly listed.

If you are really stuck, maybe you could try to recoup the cash through ebay?

7. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    not for nothing, but I don't know what version photoshop 5 is. that sounds like extremely old software, as their current version is CS2, which i believe is either Version 8 or 9. Also, you should have checked the system requirements on the box before you opened it to make sure that it would work on your computer. usually on one of the sides it'll list the amount of ram, disk space, cpu, etc that you will need to install it. This way, you can know whether it will work in your computer or not.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Would they be willing to exchange it for the same title? If so, exchange it, bring the new unopened package back the next day, and see if they will at least give you store credit for it. You may try telling them that it was a gift and that you already have it. Make sure you don't talk to the same person that did the exchange. We used to do this at KB Toys when I worked there. Store credit is better than nothing!

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yeah, your computer's gotta be quite a few years old now if 5.0 isn't working on it. 5.0 was released in May of 1998.

As for the opened software policy, it's standard at pretty much every store now, and has been for quite a few years.

But I agree with the suggestion of exchanging it for an unopened copy of the item, and returning it a few days later for store credit or something. Worth a shot at least.

10. misterd

The rule is if it is opened, it can only be exchanged for the same item.

11. indecks

indecks Banned

Or if anything, take it back and exchange it for a shrinkwrapped one, and sell it on ebay as new. =)

12. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

A buddy of mine, that ALOT MORE COMPUTER SAVY THAN ME...came over and looked thru the programs and said that what my problem was! I didn't have all my service packs installed. :dunce 

I don't know about the Walmart in other town, but this one doesn't have any signs up about the return policy on computer software!

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Glad you got it sorted out. I got to hook all sorts of stuff up for my relatives this year after they were unsuccesful at doing so.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Good thing you have it working. I was a little confused as well when you said Photoshop 5 and as stated, I believe CS2 is like version 10. But honestly, it's the same program with a few extra do-hickeys.

Now have some fun and post some photoshopped pics.

15. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

When exchanging, they make sure to open the new product so people don't try to do things like you just listed.

16. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Wal-Mart does indeed suck. Try working there.

If you raise enough Hell they'll refund your money, but you in the process will make the entire store hate you. But it looks to be a non issue now.

Oddly enough they're usually pretty lax about this sort of thing after Christmas.

17. misterd

Really, who would care? Not that I have anything against WalMart employees per se, but by and large my life gets by just fine without the opinions of local retail employees mattering much one way or the other. I mean, what would they do? Block me from getting to the toy aisle? Not accept my money (which would be tough as I tend to use the self-serve register)

Restaurant employees are another mater, as they could do unspeakable things to my food. I guess in that light I should be concerned with WM deli employees, except I don't like cold meat and who cares if they spit in my wife's pastrami?

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I figured that it may have been because you had Photoshop Elements 5.0, which is actually just a plug-in for Photoshop, if I'm not mistaken. But since you already apparently have it installed, this is a moot point.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Photoshop Elements is the nerfed consumer version of Photoshop, not a plug-in.

20. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

I'm suprised as our local Walmart kisses so much customer ass its not even funny. The store manager gave one customer some stuff for free because it was opened ans they couldn't sell them.

Walmart is alo a sticlkler for throwing out stuff. They throw out a lot of returns if they can't seal the box up. This goes for anything including toys. Sufficed to say my wife keeps and eye out for unwanted TFs for me!