Walmart exclusive Devastator: Anyone feel cheated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rid, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

What's your thoughts on the Walmart Exclusive Devastator...

First of all he's a repaint from another series. I can understand that to some extend. But then one of his limb is a repaint of another limb. No, make that 2 limb repaints!! Well, technically speaking, they are a little different but they are close enough that I consider them repaints.

So I am basically paying for 5 figures to get just 3. But aside from the monetary value, I get two duplicate toys within one combiner. Am I the only one who feels cheated about it?

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. They should have scrapped Bruticus and make a better Devastator & Superion with 4 different limbs each.

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Im Glad its getting rereleased even if it is in new colours, I cant afford the Energon Version, so this is the next best thing, so no, I dont feel cheated.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Considering the set is retailing for $24.99 (I believe) whereas getting the Energon figures cost $38 altogether, and the fact one or two limbs came out at the tail end of the line and were harder to come by, I don't think it's much of a ripoff. I also like the more traditional colors, translucent purple instead of blue. And if you have the original, just use Sledge and Wideload to get an all green combiner. In that sense, it's not a bad set. Would I have preferred all new molds, of course. But I also get that would be a $40 set at the least. (and personally I'd rather see Stunticons in that case since all the other old combiners got new versions)

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Its not a TRUE classic so I will pass. This is a very lazy way to put out a new combiner. (HasTak = Lets make some kick ass new molds for this line but when we do the Devy Combiner lets just repaint an exsisting mold and we will call it a Classic....The fans wont know a thing.)

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For 29.99, you get a whole combiner in G1 colors?

I can dig it.

7. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I don't feel cheated. It's a nice toy, with some cool molds, in cool colors. And the price is decent also. :) 

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I wonder if the molds will be as good as they were of if we're going to get loose joints and stuff...

9. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Larkin's Lair

News Credits:
    If i can figure out how to turn the "claws" into a fist that actually holds a gun, I'd be happy with it.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly. Considering the alternative would have been to get nothing, no I don't feel cheated on this set.

11. rid

rid Well-Known Member

It appears that many people are of the opinion that "it's better then nothing". I find that hard to understand. When compare to the original, I agree it make better monetary sense.

But my question was meant to be about the toy as in and of itself. I mean, take it as a toy by itself. Don't compare it to another toy. Is it still a good toy? What if Hasbro were to release a combiner with 4 identical limbs, would that still be ok? That'd be the ultimate marketing ploy. Sale the same toy 4 times just by having it combine to one another. After that, a 10-repaint combiner!!! Easy money indeed.

12. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, it is.

I'm exited about it :p 

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I feel cheated by yet another US only exclusive.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If it were sold as a giftset only, yes. I'd feel cheated buying the same toy four times over for limbs, but as a set, not so much. Machine Robo Rescue did it pretty well after all.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't feel cheated, because I'm not going to buy a lame repaint passed off as a "classic".

Classics should all be new molds IMO; however, I wouldn't have minded an energon combiner repaint with all different limbs.

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I don't really feel cheated because I DO like the color scheme, and I missed the Energon version so this will be a brand new toy for me.

However, I completely understand what you are saying, and I agree that using two of the exact same mold (twice over) in a combiner is irritating. If it was absolutely necessary, cost-wise, to make it profitable, then I can forgive it. However, I think it would have been great if they had just done a BIT of re-tooling on them. For instance, they could have swapped out the crane for a cement mixer on one of the trucks, keeping the rest of the mold the same. Or they could have given one of the bulldozers wheels, and given the other treads and a differently-shaped scoop. Just small retools, the kind of stuff you would see all the time in the G1 Autobot cars.

Ah well.... ultimately this toy is just a stopgap cash-grab till the movie line hits. And in my case, they will effectively be grabbing my cash. :) 

17. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I would have been happy if they atleast gave him a new head. I'm used to the repainted Walmart teams, but a new head would have been nice!

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

I don't feel cheated. There flat out wouldn't be a Classics Devastator if they didn't release a repaint, and as far as repaints go, I like the molds they're using. People who don't want it don't have to buy it (they wouldn't be getting a new mold Devy regardless of whether this repaint was done or not, so I don't see the point in complaining about it).

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I dont entirely agree with the "it's better than nothing" mentality. Not because I think it's worse than nothing, but because I didnt assume we were getting "anything" in the first place. Frankly I never expected Hasbro to release a combiner in the Classics line at all; I mean, I didnt think it was something they even considered. But then Botcon came and there it was in the display case.

As for feeling cheated? Definitely not. Even if I didnt like the idea behind it, the fact is that Hasbro is giving us a chance to beef up the Decepticons, even if the molds arent exactly new. I mean so far, we've got 5 Cons (Megs, Screamy, Skywarp, and Astrotrain, Ramjet) vs 8 Bots (Prime, BB, Hot Rod, Mirage, Grims, Jetfire, Magnus, CJ). Now, you could include the 2-pack Megs as some Con besides Megatron, like Bludgeon or Brawl or something, but it'd still be 6 on 8. With Devestator, that gives you 7 on 8, one of those 7 being substantially larger than any other Autobot, OR, it gives you 11 on 8! Devestator rules, Cons win.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wait... what did you say? I'm having a hard time concentrating ...