Walking Dead TPB #8

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by McBradders, Jul 26, 2008.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Soooooo... just finished reading this and I have to say, it left me cold. Pretty much the same as #7.

I dunno if the series has jumped the shark or anything, but it just seems like a lot of shock horror moments and death for the sake of it and not because of the story.

What was once a very beleivable and human tale just seems, to me anyway, to have descended in to a maximum body-count, kill as many good characters as you can, shock fest.

Is this a finite series that's close to ending, or is it gonna keep going? If it's the latter I'm thinking of dropping it altogether.

I'm also having similar feelings towards Invincible. Is Kirkman's Marvel stuff any good or is there a general decline? OR IS IT JUST ME? :eek: 

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I agree. I'm not sure what issues are included in the trades because I got the singles. At this point in the series I find they're just ruining great characters for the "WHOLLY SHITE" moments.

I remember reading the first arc, with the first artist and being wowed. I thought this could happen. At this point though it's like the Land of the Dead where I'm just watching crazy shit happen because zombies are cool.

It's not really the direct I thought the series would go. Even though awful things are building up; I don't find it a human or realistic story anymore.

I don't know, maybe I'm still drunk, but whatever, the book has lost mucho luster.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i still totally love it...i too dont know whats been collected, so i wont say too much, but i think its just great still...all the chaos and crazyness...its showing had awful people can be to each other during a time of great stress...i think its through issue 48...and 49 and 50 have just been heartwrenching at times...

4. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Kirkman said from the beginning not everyone would live. Some of the ones you would have expected to die first have really hung around. It does seem to have gone way too far towards realism with the heros dying, but I will say that I would have expected SPOILER Rick to have found a way to keep his whole family alive, at least, the baby anyway. Michonne surviving is no big surprise. At least someone got the governor.

5. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Yeah, #8 left a bad taste in my mouth. but

I loved that The Governor got done in by one of his own. Would have been better if he'd been shot in the leg or something before being eaten by zombies. In the head is too good for him.

But maybe now things will switch back to the original feel of zombies being the core threat. They'd been nerfed for the last few volumes so I'd like them to be at the forefront again.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree pretty much all around.
    I thought it *was* shocking and amazing and fucked up and sad and a ton of other emotions that I rarely get from comics. Just because I don't like it that good characters are gone doesn't mean I don't love the story he's telling.

In a world of zombies, I find what happened in Vol 8 to be very believable....the fact that any of them are alive is what is really shocking when you get down to it.

-D

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so true...

8. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for Book 4 to come out. If it comes down to it I may just start buying the TPB because its a long damn wait. And if I do that then I would have to buy all the TPB just cause. :lol 

But from the first 3 books that I've read I've quiet enjoyed it.

9. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Didn't Kirkman say at one point that while Rick is the focal point, he's not the main character and the series could theoretically continue without him? Maybe that's what he's aiming for?

EDIT: Found it. Page 4 of this: http://comics.ign.com/articles/819/819361p1.html