Wal-Mart's Transformers expectations, and results

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Steevy Maximus, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I was talking with my toy manager today about Transformers (particularly how we can't keep most of it in stock, Deluxes and FABs are gone, and we talked briefly with a customer who lamented not being able to get his son a Bumblebee). He mentioned that in a recent video conference meeting about his department (Walmart sends recorded "department meetings" every few months, generally an overview of how the dept has done to date, and what they expect in the coming months), and Transformers was cited.

Walmart had expected Transformers to generate $2 Million (primarily through the toys), Transformers didn't make $2M ..................

To date Transformers has generated more than FIVE MILLION DOLLARS, and this keeping in mind sales continue to be VERY strong and we haven't even hit the major toy buying season yet!

(On the side, the customer mentioned above also mentioned how he took his son to Burger King after seeing the commercials, and the local BK has RUN OUT of Transformers toys)

2. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

That's amazing that it is doing so well. All the Walmarts in my area have been mostly empty for more than a week.

BTW, I blame Twin Twist!

3. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    Not only Wal-mart. I've been to Target and Toys r Us as well. Their Transformers sections are almost empty! Although I can't find a few I want, I'm encouraged. This probably guarantees that we'll be seeing TF toys for years and years to come!

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They can't keep them on shelves in Australia either. Soon as a place restocks it sells out. I'm amazed at how many Prime helmets are being bought.

5. tobecat

Love this quote....I wonder what his def of tanking is....455mil +?

6. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

Huh..well, the transformer aisle was empty, but not the clerance aisle. I picked up Classics Devastator and Starscream. I haven't seen a Starscream since Christmas!!

7. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    I was very VERY lucky to find my full size Megs there..everything else has been selling like hot cakes. I should've bought both of them...

Heath4er

To date Transformers has generated more than FIVE MILLION DOLLARS, and this keeping in mind sales continue to be VERY strong and we haven't even hit the major toy buying season yet!

(On the side, the customer mentioned above also mentioned how he took his son to Burger King after seeing the commercials, and the local BK has RUN OUT of Transformers toys)[/QUOTE]

8. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish they were selling like that at my local Walmart. The pegs are overflowing with old FAB's, deluxes and preview toys. According to the toy guys, they still have the two pallets sitting in back, half full of toys. The only things that are selling are the helmets and leaders.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Target's 10% on Leaders sale last week seems to have wiped the city clean. Been to five Targets in the last week and didn't see a single Leader.

10. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Same situation over here. Every departmental store and TRU I've been to are completely OUT of Transformers action figures. So much so that what was formerly the TF section are now filled with leftover Spiderman and Pirates of the Caribbean toys.

While I'm happy that this means a whole new generation of Transformers fans, I worry about my future toy hunting prospects. :p 

11. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

In our sales report all the different TF toys were holding the top spots in our core toys best sales Leader class, DLX class, voyager class, legends, FAB's, robot heroes etc

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Phazer's little hate-schpeel there sounds a lot like my old roomie from California, he went on some tirade about how NO ONE will see the movie because it isn't exactly like the original show (as he remembered it, his reasons weren't even correct - he complained about a Decepticon being a car, guess he's not that big of a fan to not know the fucking Stunticons)

Same guy also fought with me about Fantastic Four 2, saying that the Silver Surfer absolutely would not be in it.

I wonder what people like this even think when they're proven so horribly wrong?

Buncha wackos out there man :redface2: 

13. Zeromagnus

Zeromagnus Well-Known Member

i know its of subject but how to you post ur avatar

14. tobecat

When you are signed in, click on your User CP (top left) and go to the Edit Avatar function on the left and post away!

15. Zeromagnus

Zeromagnus Well-Known Member

thnx!!!!

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They ain't selling here,i still see alot of Cybertron and Classics at TRU.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm glad I bought the whole movie cast (except for 2008 Bumblebee) before the film came out as it would be impossible to do it now. Haven't seen a single Barricade since the film hit and everything else has been very scarce.

18. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Shouldn't the stores have already cleared out those lines, sent back unsold stock and such by now?

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Seems to me that Wal-marts (and other retailers) have been somewhat short sighted on this movie and the toys. There are still spiderman 3 figures clogging up most toy store shelves in my area, but no Transformers....

20. Ktulu

News Credits:
    The two closest Wal-Marts here have a shit load of TF space, the newer one in particular, they have an entire aisle to themselves (one side of the aisle anway)

And yeah, it's mostly cleared out. It seems the TF stuff has been selling well for the last few years around here, for the most part, it's just that the distribution isn't always great, a lot of things never show up. OR, maybe they do and I'm just shit at toy hunting :redface2: