Wal-Mart raises price on deluxes

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by brittap, Jan 30, 2009.

1. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    awwwwwww. i want it to stay 7.77

2. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    For $13, I'll take carded larger, complex and articulated plastic figures over boxed smaller simple shiny die-cast bricks on any day.

Transformers are not essential...

3. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the dollar sucks and it's not making toys from Japan any cheaper but that's my main collection.

Ultimately,I think the prices on HTS will show us if this is a manufacturer thing or if it's just a retailer price hike.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

One of my Walmarts was still selling deluxes at $7.77 as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I'll laugh if it's still that amount now.

5. shortround

shortround Banned

ahh crap i hope my wal mart is not doing the same thing

6. Bodhar2000

Bodhar2000 Bodhar2000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wondering how on Earth WalMart was able to sell Deluxes at $7.77. In Japan, a Henkei figure retails at 2,310 Yen, or $25.70. That's more than triple the old WM price. Even at the bigger discount chains like Yodobashi/Bic Camera we are still paying 1890 Yen or $21.02.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    count yourself lucky it's stayed this low for this long.

Universe deluxes were £12.99 since they came out in the uk and the animated ones have recently joined in at that price.

People are spending less money on toys so the prices go up so Hasbro can still make money. it's the way the economic world works

8. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

damn my gf got me hound and starscream from some online shop for chistmas and i showed her how they ended up being at walmart for 7 bucks a couple weeks later i noticed the jump to 9 bucks but 13 is crazy. im sure that if i looked now it would be the same three blurs, four cheetors, couple starscreams, that where half as much a couple weeks ago.

now they can get fans broke in for overpriced movie toys and clearance the current toys for regular price. evil.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. Devastattor

Devastattor Well-Known Member

I've actually noticed that WalMart has raised the prices on lots of items and has suprisingly become the most expensive store for a lot of things. I speculate that they're taking advantage of the perception that they're the low price leader for groceries and retail goods in the US (Amazon.com was the same way at Christmas time). I can think of at least a dozen or more items that I routinely buy that we're priced significantly lower at other stores.

Now more than ever, it pays to shop around and send a message with your dollars, buying else where over an extended period of time.

10. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

People should come to Canada, we've been paying 15$ for deluxe figures for years, even when our money was on par with the US dollar.

11. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    That.

I really gave Animated more of a chance than normal because of it. Those of us who took advantage of the ridiculously low price are just glad we got away with economical murder for so long.

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No way. Hasbro's Deluxe MSRP was $9.99 all the way through AEC and into the first few waves of Animated and Universe V2. Only recently has it increased to $10.99.

Exactly. They're crazy not to go with gradual increases.

Yes, but Takara's figures typically have lower production runs, more extravagant packaging, and more paint apps. And the Yen was much lower against the dollar until recently.

13. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...venge-fallen-target-dpcis-19.html#post3237502

I reported on a new price last week, for Target's DPCIs for Revenge of the Fallen figures. =/

Edit: Also, what bothers me the most about this, is the percentage increase in prices.

If the Deluxe Class price point is now $13, Voyagers $22 (I looked up the DPCI for RotF Voyagers a couple days ago, just didn't think it was newsworthy since I didn't get anything for the previous post, obviously I should have made it into an entire new thread... INSERT GIANT ROLLEYES SMILEY HERE), and Leaders are $45, let's break this down...

$3 over $10 is 30%
    $2 over $20 is 10%
    $5 over $40 is 12.5%

I find 10-12.5% very reasonable. Heck, even $12 for the Deluxe Class is reasonable, and paying, say, $23-24 for Voyagers, (leaving the Leader class at $45, they're a tough sell anyway) more so. But 30% on ONE Class of figures?

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with the post that it's time for the QC to improve. Sometimes quality (plastic, paint apps, assembly) is getting borderline KO-quality, and the number of broken or defective figures right out of the package is sky-high (I'd say one out of 5 I open has a major defect).

15. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I just bought Wreck-Gar from Target for $24.19 before tax.

17. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    and target is always a buck or two higher than walmart anyway so.....

18. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You gotta be kidding me. Then all the other stores will adjust to this price.
    My guess:
    Target/Toys R Us - $14
    K-mart- $15
    scalped- Your soul or first born child

I wish they at least improve the QC or availability of the figures we want.

19. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where do all you people live where you pay les then 10$ for a deluxe ????? I live in jersey nd they have been 12.99 for at least the last 2 years. And before that they were 10.99.. This is including Wal Mart. I guess all your stores are catching up with the time now finally....

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    At $7, I picked up a bunch of deluxes. Was a good deal.

When they're at $9.96, I pick and choose. Not because I can't afford it, but because the price they charge isn't quite worth the product to me.

At $13 each, I won't be buying any. Again, not because I can't afford it. I just can't justify paying that price.

Am I bitter that they're raising prices? Not at all. Gives me a chance to refocus on the direction I want to go in my collecting, and helps simplify my choices.