Wal-Mart raises price on deluxes

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by brittap, Jan 30, 2009.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, just realised what stfu means here. But on topic, $13 is a bit more expensive, but I payed bills 1st b4, and ill pay bills 1st now. If there's anything left to play with after that then ill still buy tf's. Granted it isn't what we are used to, but that's the way of inflation, and to make a point hasbro said that toys were going to go up, so it isn't like we weren't warned at all. To bad though for those of us that aren't going to buy because of a couple extra $$$. Better get used to this, unless you plan on waiting till the begining of each year for figures to go on sale again, and run the risk of not finding it. More for me I guess.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Don't I know it. :banghead:  And I've never understood the clearance thing. You can never get a figure you want if that assortment is on clearance.

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really wouldn't mind paying $13 if they upped the quality control on the deluxes. I don't see that happening though.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The thread isn't about asking for sympathy, but merely letting US customers know a hike has happened. I really don't see anyone in the US community (here) so far making too much of a big deal about this. In fact, most of us are admitting that a price hike makes sense. Don't get pissy just because the US gets cheaper toys and you don't. The "whaaambulance" comes just as much from you as it does us, and everyone ALWAYS complain to a certain degree about inflation. You wouldn't be a consumer if you didn't.

EDIT: Removed inappropriate language. - 2005 Admin

5. lars573

Two people, you one of them, said it made sense. You by the way who would remain a voice of reason in the mountain of posts bitching about the price raise. And I make it a point not to complain about the inevitable. Death, taxes, inflation, and human stupidity. A waste of time and effort.

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting. Oil is at like $38 a barrel. So fuel and raw materials are cheaper.

Supply and demand I would like to say do not play a part in this, but, most cool figures fly off the shelves.

But still, that means more clearance Transformers and we will be happy when they go down to 9.99!!!!!

Stupid movie figures making me want to spend my money. Not to mention universe.

7. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

yesterday-basically only buying figs from wm's and avoiding target and tru
    today after seeing this thread-now basically only gonna buy figs from target and tru and avoiding wm's

8. smkspy

But few have really been complaining either. Most have said they'd have to watch what they buy (myself included) or said they're glad to have gotten deluxes for so cheap for so long.

And I sincerely doubt you never complain about any of the things you mentioned. Even if its just in passing, but regardless, your little lecture to spoiled (yes we know we're spoiled) US customers was uncalled for.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Wow, Good to know! I was just at one of my Wal*Marts last night and they were still $9.96. I will have to check again at the other one tonight and see what's up.

Now, 13 for a deluxe won't kill me, I'll still get them. My issue is more with Wal*Mart going from the cheapest to the Most expensive over night. Seems drastic to me on their part. Don't they also say they will not be undersold? I know for Christmas they price matched Guitar Hero World Tour to Target's lower price for me. I wonder if they will do this with the TFs! LOL.

10. lars573

Death and human stupidity I laugh at. Because they're funny. Taxes, well beyond sales taxes I've never had to pay any. Can't bitch about that. As for inflation, it happens you can't do anything about it. It's always happened. No point in bitching.

11. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    And you all used to complain about KB Toys... :p 

WalMart now charges the same!

12. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it's true that it's not 1984 but what you get for the priceisn't what it used to be either. No die cast. No chrome. No boxes. Less weapons. They cut down what they give you to keep the cost the same. I'd rather see a another cut back in what is offered than pay more out of pocket for the same thing.

The real world? The fact of the matter is that you guys in Europe are buying an imported good so yeah you're gonna pay higher prices due to import taxes and shipping. Us collectors in the USA pay higher prices for stuff imported from Japan. That's how the real world works.

And yes I'm gonna complain that the price of a toy that usually goes for $10 has just been hiked 30%. How are you guys not going to complain? Especially since it is feasible on some level for these things to be sold for under $8.

I've been looking for an excuse to drop a toy line and I just found it. I'll go back to focusing on Macross products.

13. smkspy

Here's a thought also. What if this is just WM making up for their losses from the $8 sale, and its not reflective of a general price increase.

Wal-mart: The low price leader, making you pay for it later lol.

Author's disclaimer: Not a complaint about inflation, but speculation on the evilness that is Wal-mart.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can understand the increase and have sort of been expecting it for awhile now. While this won't turn me off TFs completely or anything, I'm more likely to buy at Target, TRU or HTS (until they raise prices) than Wal-Mart. I'll also be cutting back on the number of US figures I get at the Deluxe price point, eliminating almost all non-retooled repaints from my want list and severely limiting the number of Takara imports I buy.

15. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

You can't escape.

The yen is at 86 yen per U.S. dollar. Just wait till they finish printing the monopoly money for the latest Bailout plan. The yen is going to be like 75 yen per dollar or worse !

(And yes, I do realize this only helps your argument as to why you have to focus on only one line).

16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Does this have anything to do with the small increase in Marketshare that toy sellers have gained due to the collapse of Kay Bee Toys?

Perhaps Walmart is trying to gear up for the Movie toy season early, and jacking up their prices early so that people don't cry "price gouging" when the movie comes out.

Lots of theories.

17. alien

alien Command

not good~

18. DECEPTIKONBRAWL

DECEPTIKONBRAWL Autocepticon

you think thats wierd ?well listen to this!!i went to wal-mart(canada)and i saw animated magnus on sale for $39.99(canadian)and when i went there a month later.it was back to its original price($49.99 canadian)and the next day it was 60 BUCKS!!!!!!thast crazy.

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Deluxes have been $10 since what Beast Wars came out (in the US anyways)? I can't say that I'm surprised to see the reactions in this thread. A 30% increase in the price of anything is enough to make people step back and say ouch, regardless of how much the same item costs around the world.

Given how the economy is going, I'm surprised such a dramatic increase was put in place. Assuming this happens country wide, that'll provide Target and TRU a golden opportunity to implement a less drastic price increase and potentially steal business away from Walmart.

Personally I'll be eyeing figures more closely and either waiting for stores to have sales, or to get them after movie fever has passed.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Soooo, We're getting a stimulus package voted on by the government in the form of tax cuts to spend more money on goods, but walmart wants to raise prices making our tax cuts not as valuable. We're basically spending more money on the same items and not being able to afford more product, keeping the americans to buying the same amount of stuff? Way to go Walmart, making America a better place again. Any reasons for a 30% price increase?