Wal Mart Exclusive Bumblebee and Sideswipe Fanwank decals

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

This topic is not so much a review as it is research. I've been looking online and can't seem to find a good source for all the Fan Wank on these toys.

The wiki seems to be the best source however it doesn't say where on Bumblebee the references are printed and it list a G2 Autobot insignia that I can't find anywhere on the toy.

So anyway, I'm going to list everything I've found as I just got these guys today for the soul purpose of checking up on all the fan wank.

Bumblebee

84 Doors, roof, and above the right tail pipe.

Sumdac Systems Front fender

Fly Ω Supreme Ω is the Greek symbol for Omega right above the Camaro logo.

Mini-con insignia Below the Camaro logo. Also the Wiki does not mention this but on the right side of the car the Mini-con insignia is upside down. It's printed correctly on the left side. I'm not sure if this a manufacturing error that only occurred with a few of them or if they're all like that so you might want to check yours if you have one.

Ancient Autobot Insignia On that rotating piece of his upper leg that prevents his legs from folding out whenever I forget to move it.

Secret Transformer Autobot Rescue Squad Rear fender

Go-bot insignia Just below STARS

Blackrock Below the Go-bot insignia surrounding the next thing on the list.

Dinobot Insignia Between Black and Rock.

Sideswipe

His color scheme seems to be a reference to both G2 Sideswipe and Speed Stars Bluestreak

04 Doors, roof, and right tail light. My dad also thought that "04" could signify the 20th anniversary as he mentioned getting the 20th Anniversary Masterpiece Optimus Prime for me when I graduated High School that year.

Lithonian Drivetrain Above the Stingray logo by the front tires.

Axalon Rattraps another 2 in 1 reference just below the Stingray logo by the front tires.

Sun Bro in front of the rear tires. Though not listed on the Wiki optibotimus said that it could also be a reference to Sunbow.

Transtech Autobot Insignia behind the rear tire.

Both

Maccadam's Old Oil House above the left tail pipe on Bumblebee and the top rear part of Sideswipe.

Now at first glance it looked like Bumblebee had more fan wank on him than Sideswipe but now that I'm counting references I didn't even know were references it looks like Sideswipe has one more than Bumblebee does though Bumblebee according to the Wiki is suppose to have a G2 Autobot insignia on him somewhere that I can't seem to find which would make all their fan wank 11 references for each figure. If anyone knows where it is please tell me... or fix the wiki if it's actually not there.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the Sunbro thing could either be a portmanteau of Sunbow and Hasbro (SUN-BRO) or it could be "SUNstreaker is Sideswipe's BROther"

3. SaberPrime

Just a quick update, good thing I didn't throw the box away till after I looked at this. It appears that along with loosing all the red paint seen in his production photos there was another Transformers reference under the Mini-con insignia that I can't quite make out what it was suppose to be but it's possible it's the G2 Autobot insignia mentioned on the wiki. If that's the case it never made it onto the finale toy as there is no extra decal in that location on the actual figure.

4. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Sunbro on Swipe is just for his brother, Sunstreaker.

These two toys got bumped up high on my list of movie toys to get. Fun stuff in them.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    He's got Maccadam's on his back bumper on Bee & Sideswipe too (That's a Energon Pub / Oil Bar I believe) and Bumblebee also has 84 on his back bumper.

I think Wiki is referring to the Ancient Autobot symbol as a G2 Symbol in that it looks like a Personal logo that some characters have during G2. or they my have got the Transtech logo on Sideswipe muddled up with something else.

But I don't know the origin of that logo so if it was in a comic or something i'd like to know more though as I'd never seen it prior to being on BB.

I couldn't find that logo on any G2 toy though I looked through a few to see if it was on anything.

Thought it might be useful to add pictures :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sideswipe has been slightly repainted - Bumblebee as yet in these Photo's has not though been altered.

Robot modes :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They have as much fan-wank as any episode of Transformers Animated.

Okay i stole that joke from the TF Wiki. :redface2: 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't buy the figures, but this was SO much fun seeing in my local Walmart!

8. SaberPrime

I had already mentioned all that in my first post. I even included links to the wiki page on each reference. ;) 

No the wiki had links to everything they referenced just like I did in my post here. The 3 symbols you mentioned here are all different references on the wiki page.

This is actually the one link I didn't include in my original post sense I can't actually find it on the car but if you want to know what to look for this is the G2 Autobot logo. Image:Auto-g2.png - Transformers Wiki

Also thanks for providing pictures. Though I can't tell with it being so small, does your Bumblebee have the upside down Mini-con insignia on the one side like mine does?

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    the Transtech symbol is my favorite part

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    these aren't fanwank, they're fucking awful. They are among the most WTF repaints hasbro has ever come up with. I almost feel bad for Walmart.

Having said that, RedAlert's photos are almost making me want them. Almost.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to disagree, as I think they're very dynamic.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    well that's good, because at least someone wants them. I tend to look at them and think "who's gonna want that?". I'm surprised when stuff like this sells at all.

Though I'm glad to find transformers that I can pass without any feelings of regret or self-denial.

13. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

Each to their own, i guess.

Personally, i love Sideswipe - looks great with the rest of my G2 autobots.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I couldn't disagree more. They are the definition of fanwank. Look at all the references to everything else out there.

The only thing that could be more fanwankier is if Hasbro included a booklet with the figures called "Fanwank: The Fanwanking" and it had all the fanwank in all the universe condensed into eight pages. And an accessory that was a fan that...

I better stop there.

They're pure fanwank, and they're damned awesome.

Real Nascar cars have that much crap all over them, I see no problem with TFs having fun (and perhaps making fun) of it. Especially for WM exclusives, that's just lovely irony on top!

15. Abrogate

News Credits:
    What is awful about them? Bumblebee is in his normal color scheme so there's nothing more tacky about him than normal aside from the decals, and those are intentional because they're supposed to be Nascar/rally cars. As for Sideswipe, his colors are tacky, but they're also an homage to his G2 Go-Bot self. I like that he has an unconventional color scheme. I can see that it's not for everyone, but that doesn't make it "fucking awful." It's quite vibrant.

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    no the most awful were those brawl/tailwhip/barricade combo packs...those were fucking EYE BURNING.

still bought bird shit brawl though... :) 

17. SaberPrime

They're pure fan wank, if you think they're awful what are you even doing on a Transformers forum? I actually wish they had MORE decals stuck all over them because the real cars have more decals than that.

I'm not a fan of Sideswipe's color scheme and thought it was gawd awful when I first saw it. I thought if they were going to repaint him and put fan wank on him he should of been red. But after seeing what the inspiration for the color scheme was it's kinda growing on me.

I actually have an older version of the same mold Bumblebee uses which ironically was also a Wal Mart exclusive and this version fixes some major problems with the older mold. Mainly the shoulder pieces. The older one's shoulder pads were only pegged into holes in the upper arms and constantly pop off if you move the shoulders even slightly. The new one they're screwed on so no matter how hard you pull on them they can't come off and the screws are small enough that I wouldn't have even noticed them if I hadn't recognized the mold and started looking at the shoulder pieces.

The older mold BTW is the movie Bumblebee that came in the Legends of Bumblebee 3 pack just with a different head. Note I said it's an older version of the same mold not the original, I don't have the original version just the two.

I can't say how the Sideswipe mold compares to the original Sidearm Sideswipe, I don't have any other versions of that mold. I prefer him with his swords and don't really like how he actually has to hold the guns rather than being deployed from the arm like the swords were.

Anyway, yeah while I have a few minor nit picks about the toys they're still super awesome fan wank figures. Every Transformers fan should have these guy and look up all the obscure Transformers references, it's fun. :D 

Disclaimer: I'm not saying you're not a real Transformers fan if you don't have these. I'm saying that you're not a real Transformers fan if the fan wank is the only reason you hate them. You can't hate fan wank if you are a fan. That's like hating yourself.

18. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I'm so getting these guys, just for the references!

19. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Yeah, these guys came out a week or so after Botcon at our local Walmart, and a friend of mine and I were commenting on all the decals when we got them home. Very creative stuff.

P.S. ---the 04 on Sideswipe was talked about at the toy design panel at Botcon. It's because when they brought the Diaclone line of stuff over, the toy that would be used for Sideswipe was numbered "04." I forgot if they meant that as a Diaclone toy, or if that's the number that HASBRO listed that particular toy as. But that's the reference.

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I picked up the Sideswipe when it came out. These two guys sold out really quickly, the Optimus is shelfwarming though----go figure.