Wal-Mart employee trampled to death on Black Friday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sludge, Nov 28, 2008.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

2. tnasoundlug

tnasoundlug Well-Known Member

I was not attacking him:confused: ,I just say is juvinile. But I'm not from a english speaking country so I dunno...

If I say something offensive I would apoligize.

3. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I heard about this earlier when I ran into a former manager from my days of retail. She's still in it, but I'm not. What I told her still holds true. There is nothing that people can do or say on this day that would surprise me. I've worked retail off and on for over 10 years. I'd had enough, and hope to never go back to it.

The day is called "Black Friday" for a reason, and it' not because it's dark outside when stores open. I hope the lawsuits that you know will come from this make retailers realise everything about what they do on this day is a bad idea. I've seen it firsthand for far too long.

May God help and bless the family of the victims.

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I would, but when someone needs help, I try to give it.

Someone who thinks the would human population should be eradicated has some need of SERIOUS help.

But I'll leave him alone as long as he doesn't attack anything anymore with arrogant views on humanity and life.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :deadhorse: 
    LOOK, Maw and Paw, I killed a man for a 10 dollar MP3 player that won't work and i can't get a refund for.

each time i heard this story on the radio, i thought about
    those mindless, crocodile feeding wildebeasts that cross rivers to migrate.
    they push the front row into the water and keep pushing because like dominoes, the back rows are falling and pushing them forward.
    if they don't move, they will fall down or get pushed into a croc's maw...

we have hit bottom and are rolling around.
    instead of "remember why your forefathers died- for country, freedom, human rights- and give thanks," we are now "You better not bitch about that being the wrong color Ipod because i killed a man making $8 per just to get the last one."

I am not sad.
    i am embarrassed to be an american, to be witness to this and ashamed that Wildebeast mentality excuses murder for a negligible profit/savings.

:banghead: 

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Well, if you actually think that you can "help" someone on a message board in this way, then perhaps it is actually you that needs "serious" help.

7. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Just saying, Wildebeast's often could die either way when crossing that river. Lions, and they can't stop to help a fellow Wildebeast, or they probably get eaten too, thus their young die, ect.

I'm not supporting the people. This just puts them below Wildebeasts.

8. Sideways

Sideways Banned

GW took the words right outta my mouth.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I believe this incident would be better termed a croud disaster. It has all the elements. Lots of people trying to move trough a narrow space and someone gets trampled. Consider the tally. 1 person trampled to death and a few more shoved around and banged up. Not good, but not bad either. Incidents like these can often have a bunch of people trampled.

10. tnasoundlug

The problem is not only they crashed the door and move on despite many actually know it that they were steping on him... many continue the shopping.

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was surprised to read about this Walmart being closed before 5 AM. I thought all Walmarts are open 24 hours. Maybe the reason why this Walmart is closed at night is because it is located at a bad section of Long Island? I don't know, I never been to Long Island.

But I used to work at Walmart #1224. The store manager there is scared of lawsuits.

12. tnasoundlug

I agree that we are not here to change people way of think... but wishing that everybody dies is not a really good way to express a point of view. (even the Black humor of this tragedy is better than that)

13. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well technically, "Black Friday" is named as such because many retailers turn their accounts from red (a loss) to black (a gain) from that day. But the name certainly describes the scene this day creates throughout retails acrosss the country. Madness!

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I bet there WERE people who would have helped, those who were around him when he went down, but who found *themselves* struggling to keep their footing and survive the surge. If they kept their footing they would have been carried forward regardless of whether they wanted to help or not. If I found myself in that situation where someone went down and I wasn't able to stop and help, I'd pray for them on my way to the back of the store as soon as possible to wait out the frenzy.

And then I'd cuss myself out for being so stupid as to go shopping on Black Friday. ;) 

I'm so glad my area is remote and the town I went to today has no big box store.

--Moony

15. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Nope. All walmarts close thanksgiving afternoon (late) and reopen at 5am the next morning. Same thing on Christmas day; they close for the day then reopen at 5am for the day after christmas sales.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WM (and most other BF retailers) need a new system. Maybe they ought to have employees come out with tickets for each of the specially-priced items, and pass them out to those waiting in line, taking down the people's names who're getting the tickets so they can't be resold or stolen. If you don't get a ticket, you go home, or wait til 11, or whatever. Having 200 people waiting for 20 TVs is not smart business.

And armed security- preferable deputies or police officers authorized to make arrests.

17. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Never said we should be eradicated, I said I don't believe we are worth saving. HUGE difference.

I didn't know wildebeests shopped retail....

18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

My heart goes to the gentleman's family, friends, and colleagues.

I'll try to leave my WalMart contempt out of the post, but no guarantees.

I worked in a toy store for a few years. We did the ticket thing for the Furby christmas. It worked fairly well.

We usually had reporters come into the store and want to do a piece on the rowdy early morning customers. Every year they left disapponted. There are steps that can be taken to keep order. First thing to do is have a line start outside the store. It's as easy as having a hand-written sign that says "Line Forms Here" attached to a simple rope line. In a store this large, an associate can be placed outside the store (have him/her go out a side entrance and walk around) about forty minutes before store opens. Provide the associate with plenty of ad flyers for folks who need them. People are much calmer when they can get information and don't feel confused. They key isn't to calm them down when the enter the store, but to keep them from getting riled up outside. Finally, the person outside and the first person inside are responsible for keeping people from stampeding. They need to be firm and reassuring when they remind folks not to run or push inside the store.

That said, I hope the NY Attorney General's office uses video footage of the incident and charges each customer who enters from the time he goes down to the time that he is taken out of the way with Accessory to a Crime (Manslaughter).

My last Christmas, mid-week, early in the day, small staff in the store, one of my co-workers falls and breaks his legs. EMTs and mall security are streaming past the line of customers. I'm alone at the front register and one of the customers yells out, "Sheesh, they need to hire more help here." I stared him down and said, "Sure, I'll go tell the guy laying on the floor to stop whining about his broken leg and come up here and ring you up before they take him to the hospital." That was probably the first sign that I was done with retail. (That and the lady I paid a dollar to so that she would "go away.")

19. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

You figure that mankind has a sense of decency to help out a person if someone needs help and/or is in trouble. This just straight out disgusts me. I am not surprise that people are that fucking greedy and didn't care over this poor man. I really hope that cops do identify everyone who trampled over this poor soul and charge them with murder. They knew what they were doing and they still refused to be a good samaritian and help out their fellow human being. Is it just me or is mostly everyone just selfish and refuse to help others out til an impending disaster comes around? It's people like these that makes me be ashamed to call myself human.

Also, I find offensive at shoppers who kept on shopping after the employee was dead just cuz "they were waiting in line all of yesterday." Seriously, get a life, eat your freakin Thanksgiving meal, be thankful that you are even alive to be doing this shopping for your Christmas, and then get in line to get your savings. I rest my case.... :mad 

20. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I don't know (and didn't look) where you are, but here, they don't close. I think they close half a day for Christmas, but not on turkey day. A few years ago, the first Thanksgiving after our new WM opened, we were in it right after midnight (Thanksgiving day going into BF) and their system gliched. I got all the BF deals by 1 am. Needless to say, they fixed it the following year.

As to many of the comments here, we are here to discuss, and yes, disagree on topics. We are not here to attack and belittle each other over their views. If you don't agree with what someone says, post it and move on. If you want to have a back and forth bitch session with someone, for all our sakes please do it in PMs.