Wait, this can't be a G1 prequel

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The best part about that is that there actually ISN'T A BACKSTORY.

Highmoon Studios created a beginning to a story that never had one:jawdropper: 

2. Soundwave4win

Soundwave4win Escalation Connoisseur

? They were on cybertron when the show began (hillarious seeker forms)
    They just wanted to explain what "happened"

3. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Theirs some serious nerd rage going on in here lol. Does it really matter if it fits 100% or not? I see it as a prequel based on G1 personally but I dont care to much about fitting it in with every single detail of TF history.
    The main Batman comic as far as I am aware are all based in the same continuity since the 20s yet Bruce Wayne has not died of old age yet, details have changed and the same with any long going property like this. Getting to pedantic about these things is where madness and obsession lay.

4. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

"Official backstory" are words that would never apply to a new continuity. Think about it. It would just be a story, and wouldn't need any specialofficial status. I've yet to read an article that states wfc is a new, separate continuity and distinct from g1. Just a lot of people jumping on a small passage that they usually misread or reinterpret. Links?

5. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

But this isn't looking at the facts. This is looking desparately for a loophole.

6. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

you're missing the point. If it's a new continuity, it wouldn't need an "official backstory" sanctioned by hasbro. It would just be a story. You need a front story to create a backstory. Otherwise, the words are meaningless.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You're right. All everyone mentions is the cartoon, and that's it.

However, I also like to menton DW's War Within. That had a different bak story, but it clearly established itself as leading directly into the 1985 cartoon thru a series of forshadow images... images taken from the cartoon (including Prime with an ax and Megatron with a mace up on top of Sherman Dam).

If I was to follow the thought of others around here, I would say that WWI wasn't 1 because it did't sync up with the few events we saw in the toon.

But it was.

It was separated, tho, once Prime chucked the disc into space.

Yeah, I know.
    But apparently, a few people here will even state that Matt- the creater of the game itself- doesn't even know what WFC is and that he is wrong about his own creation because this property belongs to HASBRO.

Whatever.

No.

I remember back in the Marvel comic where a manic-depressive Power Master O.P. had to save Hot Rod from some combat drone robot that he programed to boost Optimus' self esteem.

These was an issue in Marvel UK where Swoop was destroyed and melted.

None of that happened in the cartoon.

8. Burnout

Burnout Rogue Mercenary

only if ya dont have the personality on a back up flash drive lol. :D 

I really need to get this game. Also remeber not every autobot went with prime so characters like magnus, springer, arcee, hot rod etc were still on cybertron?

9. apparatus

apparatus pre-Spark toaster

yes. You truly do. again not the greatest but it scratches the itch pretty well.

10. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

Actually i didnt look to desperately .. :2c: 

11. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Yeah the fact that Exodus doesn't even fit that well with WFC has me not caring at all about continuity. Go ahead and make WFC part of the Movieverse, I don't even care at this point

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope the sequel to this game is G1 using the "Classics" mold that Hasbro has been giving us.

13. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    it would be awesome if this was linked to G1 (i could actually watch G1 knowing optimus was a decepticon slayer but not showing it)

14. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    err no

orion pax turns to wfc optimus then G1 optimus (arriving on earth)

of course when there was wfc optimus he didnt start the battle straight away (that would sound crazey turning into someone else and suddenly everyones on your side)

15. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

If people download the Kotaku interview from June 9th, Matt Tieger states, and I quote:

"How that syncs us up in the Transformers Universe is that we're a prequel to the cartoon from 1984. We're a prequel to G1. That's where we fit in the universe."

For the quote junkies.

16. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if high moon and hasbro say it is G1 then no fan boy on tfw can say its anything else in my opinion. This is G1 even if there is continuity problems. it is G! because the creators Said it is. Just my opinion

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Unless Hasbro wanted to use this story as a launching point for future Transformers series...kinda like they said they wanted to do.

Hasbro has said they wanted to "re-center" the franchise and that WFC would be the starting point. So this "backstory" is to a story they will be telling in the future, not one that has already passed. It's clear Hasbro intends to make a new retelling of the G1 story eventually, one without plot holes and inconsistencies found in the multiple versions of the G1 stories we already know, and when they do they'll use WFC as the history behind the new stories they tell.

The ending of WFC is the only thing about the game that really "syncs up" with the cartoon. But the future may give us a much better, clearer, streamlined version of the G1 tale, which uses WFC as a launching point.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    From SDCC:

Can we finally lay it to rest now?

G1. Done.

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    So WFC has been retcon to be the prequel to the cartoon? I don't really like that, with all the different continuities in the TF universe I don't see why WFC just couldn't be a new G1 universe as opposed to messing with around with the Cartoon continuity

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  People have being saying its G1 for a long time now--Matt and his crew did too, dropping hints like "I wanted to make the game I've waited 26 years to play," and people still didn't want to believe the things that were coming out of his mouth.

In an X-Play interview I posted he went a bit further saying that G1 is War For Cybertron's touchstone and that War For Cybertron's ending synchs up to the original cartoon. And still those that didn't want to believe...didn't believe.

So here's a new question: will they now?