Customs: W.I.P. vs. Completed

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MATTICUS PRIME, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

I have noticed as of late that several other boards including Toyark are using two seperate forums for W.I.P's and completed projects. Would it be possible to have that implemented here?

I only ask because it seems that some W.I.P threads seem to thrive off of feedback from other members or get bumped because they forgot to buy paint or the project or the project fades into obscurity.

True, everyone wants their big moment and praise on page 1, but
    I feel that those that have completed projects do not receive the full amount of attention their project deserves because a W.I.P thread is getting bumped as if it were a Facebook update.

Do you think that W.I.P's should moved to Creative GD where they can get creative feedback or No?

SQ7???

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I disagree - I think simply labeling a thread "WIP" is enough. There are guys like me who have TONS of WIP projects and enough real-life BS that has helped push those back some. I want to share what I've done AND get feedback on it. This is the customs section and I think WIPs have every right of playing a part here with completed projects.

And I believe that those who post finished projects DO receive full attention. If it is something that is liked or admire, it will get comments and tips. Sometimes, a project will fade quickly because it may be something that doesn't attract the attention of others due to subject matter or figure involved. I know some don't care for Animated, some don't care for the movies, so some of those won't be given attention by all. Then there are some that love Animated and the movies, so it stays up. It all depends on the artist's work and reputation, as well as the character or subject being done. If an artist is well-known, of course their work will stick around for a bit. If someone is new and/or the custom is something that has been seen numerous times, it can be pushed back also.

I've never really seen an issue with completed or WIP stuff here though.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There kinda is. There is a gallery section for finished works.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is worded very well. MATTICUS PRIME, while I do see your concern, one of my knee jerk reactions is that another forum for "WiPs" wouldn't garner as much attention as the Customs section does. For artists, like hXc here, that's just as important (if not more so) than the attention a finished project brings.

As I've mentioned elsewhere tonight, the modus operandi is to post a "WiP" when a significant amount of work has been done. Posting a thread whenever one has an idea a small amount of work done is a thread more suited for Creative General Discussion. Creative General Discussion was created for artists to have a "think tank" of sorts without cluttering up the projects thread (which already has a high volume of traffic). Even more so of an application for "coming soon!" types of threads, which are pretty much spam to start with.

In short, if you have a good amount of work to show us, post it in Customs; if you have an idea of something else you need help with, post it in Creative GD.

"WiP" styles threads should not be posted in Creative GD.

However, one issue the above statement does bring up is what to do when you end up with a few threads like my latest have been. Basically, I've started a few threads in Creative GD to get ideas and so forth, and they turn into project threads. What I've done there is when I have enough work made to start a WiP thread, I start one in Customs. Right now, I've been posting in the "Classics Skids" thread in this forum. The only physical work I've done so far is I dissembled the bot and swapped around the hip joint piece. That's not enough for me to start a "WiP" thread, as I've not done enough work to start a project thread.

I hope my comments here have helped!

Cosign! Customs galleries are the only projects that get featured on the front page as well. See the gallery requirements for more on that.

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :bowdown: 

6. MATTICUS PRIME

Having 8 w.i.p. threads going on the front page doesn't take away from completed projects how?

I look at completed work and the w.I.p's, a lot of people do. I think that if there is a person that has 8 projects going mabey combine it into one thread. A gallery of wips for the time being. As a project nears completion by all means start a thread for it.

10 wip threads by 1 guy and a poll @ 10am cst.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kinda agree.

At a forum I go to the artist will have one thread and keep posting new works in that thread (title is editable...same board as this but I guess the owner/admin allowed people to change titles when needed). Of course after a few pages they start a new thread but it's just so much easier to find an artist when they have just one thread.

8. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I think it makes sense to have a separate section for WIP's and completed projects. That way it's easier to sort through them, and the finished work doesn't get lost in the numerous minor updates.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I never post WIP's. I have a couple of time and saw I had very little interest. Bumping my own WIP's also did not generate any interest in my WIP's. Plus it only made it look like I was just gratuitously bumping my own thread. I prefer to post only finished customs. I just ignore WIP's posts. Seeing a whole page of WIP's, makes me ignore the whole page.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Would there be a way to add a "WIP" prefix that can be changed to another prefix, like "Minor/repaint" when the project's complete? Then people could filter out the WIP threads by searching for the other prefixes...

11. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I'd say why don't we just have all WIP's in the general disussion thread, but then that would get muddled with people who are just trying to hash out ideas before they start on something.

If your wanting to follow a certain custom thread and it's "hard" to find through all the WIP's, why not just use the "suscribe to thread" option. isn't that what that is for?

problem is every one is different. You want to see finished customs, i like seeing WIP's. And where would you have the line drawn? would there be separate WIP and finished customs for each section (like minor/repaint, heavy/scratch)? Yeah it gets a little annoying when you have one person post a bunch of wip threads and that bumps the thing you want to see to a second page, but it's just a second page, and usually those posters do that and it quickly moves into the later pages. i think alot of those people are new and don't know how to navigate the board as well, and thats not a bad thing, I was one of those people as well for awhile.

Randy!

12. MATTICUS PRIME

This is a fantastic idea.

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'll add, I didn't think it was that hard to simply scroll down or go to the next page. Or better yet, use the search button for something specific that you're trying to find. Honestly, I like seeing both WIPs and completed customs, but while I love sharing my work, I don't care if it's on page 1 or 50. If people enjoy it and want to comment, cool. If not, it's their choice. I don't bump threads unless I'm replying to someone, answering questions, offering help to someone, or posting updates to my work.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people hit me up asking how I did something. It's really one of the reasons I post nearly all of my WIP projects and give detailed descriptions (albeit insanely LONG). I want others to know how I did it and show that they can do it also, if they'd like to try.

Not sure why this is suddenly an issue, but if anyone is hurt over the fact a piece of their work isn't plastered to the front page of Radicons, it's honestly not a big deal. Things tend to move fast, whether WIPs are posted or not. Besides, who wants to view the same completed projects resting on one page for days on end? I want to see new stuff, regardless of whether it's WIP or not. I don't always have the time to comment like I'd like on everything, but I always enjoy hitting Radicons to see the new highlighted updates. If it's something I've already seen or commented on, I just pass it and keep looking. It's that simple.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    First of all, I'd like to say to each of "thank you" for posting your feedback here. I think the goal from everyone here is to create the best scenario that benefits all.

At this point, I can't stress enough to continually post your feedback/thoughts/opinions/concerns about this subject. On the other hand, just make sure you do so civilly (as you guys have done thus far). Arguments towards each other (and especially towards myself) will simply be deleted, etc.

Also, know that change takes time. Patience is the operative virtue. MATTICUS PRIME has pointed us to our host, Toyark.com, and it's very obvious that some major changes have been made there. An easy assumption there is that's taken a lot of work.

Hopefully, I can answer a few concerns until we hear some more things later;

I agree to an extent that if a person has multiple projects that combining them into one thread is a good idea, especially if they're thematic. The downside is that the more things are grouped together is the less individual attention they garner. This is especially in light of the traffic TFW2005.com gets on a daily basis.

"Galleries" are only uploaded and added to the Customs Gallery of finished projects submitted by artists meeting the gallery guidelines. The only exceptions to that have been when we've had a deceased member's WiPs. I think the explanation there is pretty obvious. No single thread in Customs or any part of this board is considered a "gallery". MP, I know that's not exactly what you meant there, but I did want to take the time to go ahead and reiterate the differences. Thanks for suffering me to do so :) 

I can understand this motivation, and post as you wish, but WiP threads are very useful to other artists, even if your own threads don't get a lot of feedback. Several artists learn a LOT from WiP threads, especially when a tutorial isn't available.

On the contrary to this, I tend to only prefer to post finished customs as well. Mainly, most of my own work really isn't that involved enough to post full-fledged "wip" style threads of my work.

I'd also add that sometimes when there aren't a lot of comments in a WiP thread, that can be a good thing. If there's not a lot to improve upon, then you're doing something right.

Yes, I'm sure that's a possibility at least. I'll wait to hear from Tony_Bacala on that (and other issues), though.

NO. WiP customs do not need to go in Creative GD by default. Granted, certain threads can make it here, but if nothing else, the forum default for viewable threads on a page is significantly less than say Customs.

The main premise for "Creative General Discussion" is to give us a "think tank" and also a place to just hang out and talk about customs issues (discussions) that are otherwise not really appropriate for Customs. This thread is such an example. Also, I've discussed the issue above, giving different examples.

As far as new people posting, being new always has its learning curve. Everyone in this forum was new at some point. My highest recommendation is befriending someone new and showing them the ropes. Also, use the "report bad post" ([​IMG]) feature. This instantly alerts all Staff that a thread is in the wrong place, or there is a questionable post.

Bigbot, you've identified another aspect: motivation for viewing. You state that you enjoy looking at WiPs, and many others do as well. I enjoy looking at people's work, whether it's finished or not. The Customs forum is very multifaceted, and it's objective is to provide a multitude of custom artwork for everyone to view and comment on, finished or unfinished.

This is a very good post. I think there is some good advice and recommendations here, especially for the time being.

I hope I answered some questions and concerns well. Again, I just recommend to continue posting your feedback. Thanks again, gang!

15. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I don't think the problem is WIP's at all. Since so many of us have worked on so many projects, there is a lot of experience with certain molds and parts. The ability to let people chime in and help with part recommendations or ideas is of great benefit.

I think we can all agree that threads from people like Anemis or Tom_Servo which are WIP's are very welcomed, and some of the most fun to follow.

I am pretty sure we know why we are talking about this, and I can say that unless the mods want start making judgment calls on what is borderline spam, then I don't know.

My solution is simply the ability to have Ignored users Thread's hidden. I commend people's whose level of interest in the hobby motivates them to post a million threads and updates, but unfortunately I would prefer my beloved forum not be covered in nothing but his projects, especially considering many of them are not really anything of incredible quality that would justify them covering so much of the first few pages. Surely this is an opinion on my part, but I am sure everyone understands where I am coming from.

WIP's have never really been an issue before for me. Only when some users don't grasp forum etiquette with their posting does it become one. This would be the case with most every forum anyway, so I think its a different problem.

I wish Creative GD discussion got more traffic. I know people browse it, but obviously the first go to is the Radicons. Sometimes if you really have a topic you want everyone to chime in on, it hurts that its relegated to Creative GD and doesn't have a place in Radicons. Maybe people just choose not to respond, but i would like to think its more of a thread visibility issue.

Also, I think that the # of posts shown on the radicons page 1 should be increased. It is abnormally low, and I don't really think anything is gained by having it that way. You just have to click next page more often. I would imagine most of us are adjusted to forums enough not to be overwhelmed with a long page of threads. (Actually now that I say this, i realize its longer than the other forum sections (why are they so short?) and probably adequately long)

16. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

SQ7, that wasn't really something I was suggesting, it was more of thinking outloud with different ideas. I even shot that idea down in the same sentence.

I think adding the "WIP" prefix could be intereseting, but it's all what the certain individual is looking for.

I too wish that GD got more traffic. I felt like I stumbled across it and now I'm checking it as much as the radicon page, and I definatly post more here than there.

Thankfully, I don't think the system is broken at all, it could just maybe use some tweaking. Thanks for the insight Superquad7.

Randy!

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suggest there be a suggestion area on the boards :) 

18. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it all boils down to one individual having 10+ WIP threads at one time. If that is the case have some common courtesy and combine them into one thread. It just shows a little respect to those other customizers that would like to have their work seen. Most people stop by and scan the first page and move on. When one person has 3/4 of the posted works on that page and frequently bumps them with every minor thing they do, there is little chance of someone to get their work seen. It is basic common courtesy.

19. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

considering this thread is basically the result of 1 person, then the solution is as simple as having that person stop what they are doing.

Someone with some clout and who will be heard (sq7) teach him some forum etiquette and we can go about our business as usual.

20. MATTICUS PRIME

I think hthrun hit the nail on the head. A simple wip prefix would be excellent. I have no problem with wip threads I do see a problem when one user (As a few of us have stated now) takes up 3/4's of a page with no significant updates. It is my feeling that if you have that many projects going it would be as Zildjian pointed out courteous to other users if they were at least contained in one post until they are ready for their own thread. Im not trying to bash anyone, I am looking for a solution.

Wip's are important I do use/ look at them as I have stated before. I think the prefix idea would be great. I have no salty feelings about not being recognized for work I have done and posted I certainly don't feel overlooked. The last Radicons post I made was back in September? I am just trying to improve the community.