Heavy/Scratch: w.i.p.: Slag

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Conundrum, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    wip: Slag - Update: 12/27

Hi guys, it's been awhile. I finally found the WFC Soundwave at Wal-Mart a few weeks back and after playing around with it a bit, got the idea in my mind to make it into a Classics Slag.

Now that I've finally found another Soundwave and my Christmas break has started, I'm able to work on this guy a lot. So here's what's been done so far.

*Wheels removed/replaced with dino limbs from a junker g1 Slag
    *Lower leg vents removed
    *Triceratops back end remodeled with g1 Slag parts
    *Head from BM Triceradon mounted with parts from Energon Landmine
    *Triceratops head details sanded off. Points cut. Used styrene to clean it up.
    *G1 Slag head grafted onto Soundwave's
    *G1 Slag tail attached to the back of Soundwave's rear

UPDATE: 12/24

* I further de-organified the triceratops head creating a divide between the front of the head and the "shield" portion.
    *I also created a grid-like pattern on the shield in a similar vein to the original g1 Slag head. I used a soldering iron to make the initial lines and then I cleaned them up using a dremel cutting disc, an exacto knife, and sand paper. I think when it's basecoated black then drybrushed, it will provided the head with a nice bit of detail.
    *I cut up Soundwave's chest and made room for the triceratops mouth. I made a small hinge on either side using nails and I filled in the gaps left in the chest with epoxy and styrene. I could have made it lay flatter, but I like how it juts out an angle.

UPDATE: 12/27

Because of the holidays, I haven't had too much time to work on this guy but I did make quite a bit of progress today.

*All epoxied areas were covered with thin styrene.
    *Chrome pieces from g1 Slag were removed and placed on Soundwave's forearms.
    *Circular pieces were put on the front dino legs to cover the empty space.
    *Panels were cut from a Star Wars x-over snowspeeder and attached via a nail to soundwave's chest. These cover up the large gap behind the triceratops head in dino mode. Placed circular piece on them as a throwback to the more rounded parts of the g1 Slag figure's chest.
    *I wanted to make his sword less "Lego-y" so I cut off the handle and made my own out of epoxy. I cut grooves in it to give it some texture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might work on this figure a little more tonight. If I don't, it won't be touched again until the 29th on account of my birthday. Woo! Not too much left to do on this guy, this will probably be the last update before paint.

If you have comments, now's the chance to say them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Thats a sick idea

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool, that's some awesome outside the box thinking right there! Looking forward to the finished product :thumb 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That works so well; I like how sleek you've managed to keep the robot mode, and the dino hardly looks like a truck with legs at all! And if you keep the opening chest, you can give him a Diaclone driver too! :p 

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

That looks pretty cool. Slag looks badass.

6. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

very very cool. I love the robot head. Gives me some ideas for my WFC Dynobots. I'll bet watching this.

7. Todd Hakusho

Todd Hakusho Resident Gryphon

Ebay:
    very nice ue of the WfC Soundwave mold man; I wouldn't have thought of using that!

I'm going to be watching this for sure :D 

8. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I like that! I like that so much that I'm going to tell you how much I like that again! I really really like that!

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

Go for it works awesome

11. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I like where this is going!

12. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

I like it! Any plans to do the other dinobots?

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

How very unusual.....I FREAKING LOVE IT!

14. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love new kitbash concepts. this idea is really quite novel. i love the bot mode. the only critique i have is the dino head. i think it looks too organic. maybe a zoids head or megenbine heat tricera?

regardless, great concept and follow through.

15. Anti-Venom

He could use a Power rangers head.

Like this head.

However that head is over priced and it would be cheaper to buy a junker zord instead of just the head.

I do think that the head he is using will look good when painted though.

16. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Heat Tricera's head will not work, it's way too small. Plus, it's two top horns are not attached to the head, but to a square plate behind the head, so it would take upa lot of space and not match up with the current style.

Conundrum, nice to see you around again bro, will wait to see this finished. I like the out of the box style thinking, i await to see how you turn Soundwave's extremely geometrical body into a robotic Triceratops. :) 

17. Anti-Venom

Yes, but there is also the morphin rangers version, and its head is very different from the zord version.

I have one, but its for one of my many unfinished projects :( 

18. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Hats of to you man on this one GREAT idea! BTW if you do need one of those ranger heads LMK cause I think I have 3 of them around.

19. Conundrum

Ebay:
    Thanks guys, I'm glad that you like it and that you approve so far.

I like it that you really really like that.

Nope. Can't say I do. This is just a one shot Christmas break time killer.

"Truck with legs" I like that. I was worried he would be too kibble-riffic but it's looking all right.

You're absolutely right about the dino head. However, I'm still not completely done modding it. What I have in mind should decreseas the organicness some. I would have went with a different head but my options were limited. The g1 Slag I had was a junker because it had a broken off Triceratops head...

Thanks, it's nice to be contributing again. I'd like to think that I've already made significant progress in de-geometricifying Soundwave. I would like to mod the trucks roof to not make it so flat, but as they turn into feet...

Yes, there is that. Using one of those was actually my first choice. I thought I had two of those blue morphin rangers kicking around my house somewhere but I can't find them. As I did not foresee needing them, I think I donated them to the Salvation Army :banghead: 

However, I almost feel like it would have been to large now that I think about it. Plus, I really don't mind the one I'm using too much.

20. Conundrum

Ebay:
    Thanks man, I'm happy with the way it's turning out. I'm still amused about how Chip didn't think it would work at all.

Thanks for the offer. I know I used to have at least two of those rangers but I don't know where they are at. I don't know, what's your opinion? Do you think it would look better with the ranger head? I think it might almost be too big.