Minor/Repaint: W.I.P. My First Repaint / Custom / CHUG Roadbuster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dr. Grimlockisking, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster/contributor. I've seen lots of cool projects here, and while I'm not too confident in my abilities, figured I'd give it a go and let the pros here critique and give me some pointers as I try my first projects. I've got this one and another one I'm working on right now (both repaints) so just trying to get my feet wet before I move onto more challenging things.

I love Roadbuster and the whole Wreckers crew, and thanks to a couple of my good friends on the board, they directed me to use the following as a stand-in for a CHUG Roadbuster:

[​IMG]

I love the figure, but am not a fan of the paint job, so looking over some other projects and spending a bit of time researching the paints, items and what would be best to use, I set out to try my first custom this weekend. I started off with the following:

1. Brave Gohkin Mugen Calibur 21x (non armored combat version, about $80 shipped on eBay a couple of months ago)
    2. Model Masters International Orange Acrylic Paint
    3. Model Masters Russian Green Tank Acrylic Paint
    4. Brushes
    5. Helping Hands with magnifying glass
    6. Model Masters Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint

I did some light disassembly to aid with painting some tricky spots, the head is on a ball joint and it pops off fairly easily, but I will be painting it last. There is a screw, a spring, and molding piece that holds the legs in place, and I unscrewed that to be able to paint the crotch area more easily, and to have free reign to work on the legs themselves. Here's what is done so far:

Chest painted lightly to compare to factory orange on the arms
    [​IMG]

Foot Painted
    [​IMG]

Weapons Painted Differently
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trim Wheel Wells Painted
    [​IMG]

Still got a ways to go, but am looking forward to seeing it finished already :)  Questions, comments, critiques would be most welcome and appreciated!

******UPDATE 8/24/11******

Here's the latest updates on the paint apps, I'm REALLY liking how the brown I picked is turning out, and after reviewing the IDW books, changed the color of the bazooka to the brown. Haven't had as much time to work on it lately due to sleep deprivation courtesy of a beautiful healthy baby girl, but am loving every minute of it :)  I'm hoping to have this done in the next couple of weeks, but we'll have to see how it goes. Experimenting paining on a couple of other figures too after I started this to pass the time while I wait for parts to dry, I might be lucky and have two or three done at the same time! This is mostly the rough paint apps and the finishing touches will get rid of some of those spots I missed and I'm hoping to add a bit more detail and finesse to it as I get used to this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was actually thinking about buying this very same figure for the very same reason.. Are you brushing the parts or spraying them in some manner?

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just using a brush that came with a Testors Acrylic kit right now. I bought a few things since this is my first excursion into this (all Testors kits) and I did pick up an airbrush set, but not quite ready to use that yet.

I'm trying some different things on the weapons, using a Testors Green as a base, then trying to dry brush the Russian Tank Green onto the Bazooka. The rest of the Weapons / Accessories are just using a regular brush with the Russian Tank Green right now

4. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

isnt that figure alittle pricey to be your first repaint?

5. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, not really. I picked it for the first namely because it would be good experience painting, touching up and just getting an overall idea how the process goes. I'd rather goof up touching up on a pretty big and simple figure than screw up a shockwave or fortress Maximus custom that are becoming harder to find. Had I paid more for one of those high priced armored ones I'd probably feel differently. But since I got it at a decent price and am turning it into who it should be I don't feel bad about it. Hopefully the results prove my optimism right!

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    had you paid more for it?? What, did you get it for like 40 bucks or something???? That things goes for like $120 or better now. I wouldn't of done it for my first one, that's for sure.

7. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $76 shipped bout six months ago. Yeah I can understand that trepidation. For me I'm more comfortable spending money on a figure I know is just going to be repainted as a test to figure out what works and doesn't rather than a mish mash that I have to cut and glue and could screw up before I know what I'm doing more of if that makes sense. I know it'll be the roadbuster I want when I'm done with it and that's whT I wanted to try it first

8. Overdrive

Overdrive Active Member

I kinda have to agree when it comes to the cost of an initial W.I.P. I've thought about the same idea for a custom Roadbuster using this mold, it's a dead ringer after all. All things considered, the base figure is quite pricey (but hey, that's me at the point I'm at right now, it could be different for you, hopefully you're in better shoes than mine :)  DO check out the tutorials this site offers; a lot of talented people shared many great ideas. Regardless of the expense involved, I think it's awesome that you are taking the time, consideration, and effort to bring RB into the CHUG realm, where he ought to be! Keep up the good work!

9. DC2k5

DC2k5 Well-Known Member

Having done the same with my Calibur (and gotten him for the same reason of wanting a Classics Roadbuster) I think it is a great project. So yay!
    Yours is looking great so far. I'll be watching this thread to see how it turns out :) 

10. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I was wondering how tall this guy was? Been watching one one-bay...Looks good so far,keep it going.

11. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

Awesome! Did you post yours here? I'd love to see what you did for a brown color. Reading through IDW though I'm tempted to make it as close as possible to that and not the original g1 paintjob

I'm at the hospital waiting on my baby girl to be born so I can't measure at the moment. I want to say about as tall as city commander so maybe 7 inches? I'll measurefor sure when were home though

12. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

good luck with the baby girl!

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    aw crap, he's only about 7" tall??? Damn, I was gonna try and use him for a MP Roadbuster if I broke down n bought it.. crap man.

14. DC2k5

DC2k5 Well-Known Member

Sure did! Not the best quality pics, as I only had a cell phone camera at the time.
    If you look at my post history it is one of my first posts. I'd link it, but it feels 'wrong' to post a link to my own work in someone else's custom thread. :) 
    If you can't find it, I'll PM you the link.

Hope all goes well with the baby also!

15. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have this figure, but haven't started on it yet. It's good to see these pics. After looking at the figure, I figured he would be difficult to take apart and paint.

16. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Updated with new pics