Heavy/Scratch: W.I.P. G1 Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by VectorPrime404, Feb 16, 2011.

1. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I decided to make my G1 Hot Rod a bit more show-accurate, as well as give him some enhanced features, such as the opening cockpit. I am aware that the Masterpiece version has the canopy hinged at the front, but this is also accurate. It opens this way when he picks up Daniel after the kid's board hits a rock, and then the way depicted on the Masterpiece toy when they reach the observation platform. Primus damnit, Sunbow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am in the process of modifying the arms to include the flanks of the rear of the car, which means sawing those parts off the legs and fabricating new ones. Currently I have removed the wheels from both legs and the car flank from one. I am going with bright red as the main colour until I can get the right colour magenta paint. I've modified the legs so that they can extend fully, which adds to his height and should keep the longer arms from looking awkward. I also intend to allow his arms to rotate 360 up and down at the shoulders, and for him to bend at the hips and knees.

EDIT: Decided to abort the arm rebuilds for now in favour of just putting in his tail-lights and gluing the one flank back on. Arcee needs the plastic more.

Comments, constructive criticisms, suggestions for adding the new joints?

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    keep on bashing those G1's they deserve it ;)  hope SON gives you lots of paint :D 

3. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Very nice,(and corageous) idea, will keep an eye on it!

4. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Dude, that is nerve right there. It looks great. I never noticed that he has molded seats under there. The only think I'd add is is that you should keep your eyes peeled for a smoother hinge.
    I use small brass middle hinges for things like this. I get mine at Home Depot, but here there are on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: Stanley 803140 - 1-1/2" Bright Brass(3) Middle Hinge: Home Improvement
    Could you show how you modified the legs to extend further. You definitely have my attention there. And could you explain about what you want to do to the arms? I'm not sure what you mean about adding the flanks ( I assume you mean fenders) to the arms. I've wondered about add shoulder joints to Roddy for a while now, but the only way I see to do it is to saw them off clean, fill in the empty space in the arm and set a tiny pin into it.

5. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    I'm sorry I totally didn't read your edit. I'm still curious about what you meant though.

6. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Just received my order today :)  On route tomorrow!

7. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Well, going by the animation model, his arms reach all the way to his aft in car mode. The rear wheels as well as the front ones are contained in his arms, and his wristcuffs become the tail-lights. I had planned to rebuild mine to match this but have decided against it for now. The plastic I would have used is instead ticketed for my Arcee scratchbuild.

I do intend to find a smoother hinge for the cockpit, believe me. I'm going to be grabbing a few, in fact.

As for the legs, it's simple. If you dismantle the legs of a G1 Hot Rod, you'll find some plastic ridges in the tracks that keep his legs from fully extending. Remove those, and Hot Rod becomes a centimeter and a half taller, maybe a little more.

Oh, I've got another project photographed to show you guys, it'll be up very shortly.

8. NoLessThanAGod

NoLessThanAGod Lost in Looserville

News Credits:
    Vector Prime, why do you hate my childhood?

9. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand this Kitbash.
    Seriously dude, You really ought to work on your technique for you chisle away at rare and vintage figures.

Try Energon or Cyberton -Excillon first. That way when you cover the roof in pockmarks it's less tragic.

Also your paint is still way too thick. It's like you post these horrible attempts at modifications on vintage figures and then you "ask for help", and then you don't actually listen to what people are saying. You just run off to assault another figure.

10. Lord Madhammer

Lord Madhammer Just a simple man

News Credits:
    I'll say this much: a more movie accurate spoiler on G1 Hot Rod (i.e. cutting away the bottom bits) makes the toy look way better.

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screw them, Vector, I love it. I wonder if diaclone figures will fit in that cockpit now that it's accessible.

12. NoLessThanAGod

NoLessThanAGod Lost in Looserville

News Credits:
    :rolleyes:  as if.

13. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

It ran over my foot and stole my wallet.

HunterRose, the paint on both this guy and Blurr is actually quite thin. In Hot Rod's case, it's also only been applied to a few pieces.The point of this kitbash is to give Hot Rod an opening cockpit, a show-accurate single-support spoiler, tail-lights, and better articulation. As for the scuffs and everything on the roof? Those were there when I got this guy. This was NOT a mint figure. This was a rather play-worn figure whose roof had already had to be glued back together by the previous owner. I perform modifications on vintage figures because it is the vintages that NEED them. And both of you, get to grips with the fact that putting less-than-perfect paintwork on a figure is not destroying it. You also need to read the other posts in the thread. And if you think I can't do anything right, go look at my cartoon-colours Swoop thread. And the most current pictures of my Galvatron and Blurr customs.

Now, is there anybody with suggestions on how to give this figure jointed hips and knees? I've been thinking of using the legs from a trashed Excellion, but I'd like to get opinions from some more experienced Radicons. Preferably people who don't equate me changing things I don't like on older toys with infanticide.

14. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    I'd say keep you're eyes peeled for another figure who's legs are a good fit and swap them in. If you could keep the original thighs and use them over the new legs it would really help the look. I'm not sure who the best donor would be off hand, but a deluxe is your best bet. The best way to get them in there is to leave the very bottom's of the upper legs, the parts that slide up and down in the tracks, and embed the new legs in them with putty.

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Okay. Well, I think I'll go with Excellion then, as that mold is an homage to this toy and the legs are very close. The tricky part will be compensating for the angle.

16. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I know you're probably going to go back and reprolabel the whole thing, but I like what you're doing with it.

I don't understand Hunter's comments. I haven't seen Vector's prior work as just plowing through it. I do however get the paint remarks, and that for anyone customizing is a work in progress.

Honestly, you started it, and it's looking really good for what you planned. I'd also love to see him articulated, but that's just me, looking at my own G1 TM Hot Rod. Keep at it dude.

17. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Brand-name Reprolabels would be a waste of money given that I'm only going to keep the flame detail stickers. But I will be getting repro stickers for those.

I do agree about the Clocker hinge looking bad. It's only a placeholder, though. When I get that birthday money, I'm buying a junker Excellion and some small hinges. This hinge and its twin on my G1 Scourge are ultimately destined for my OC Firebomb.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I think you will have a hard time finding just the flame decal stickers without all the other stickers since Hot Rod doesn't actually have that many. Reprolabels also includes the factory hood sticker AND the quality is second to none. For only $8 ($6 product + unchanging $2 shipping to anywhere), it's a good price.

19. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I was including the hood sticker in the "flame details" category. Hot Rod's Reprolabels sheet's only $6? Guess the lack helps. But I'd like to see if anybody else makes that sticker...

EDIT: Damn. Nobody else does the flames. They're all factory stickers. Guess I'll have to go with the Reprolabels. I was hoping one of the eBay sellers would have them because Reprolabels takes two weeks to ship.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

And it would kill you to have patience for two weeks because...? From the looks of things and what you say you still need to get done with this figure, you'll have plenty to keep this project going without the stickers. Stickers should be the last part of this, anyway.