VR Troopers - how close it came to making "Transformers Cybertron" an impossibility

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kickback, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I so agree. :D 

2. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    That was actually 0_o interesting. Turning an entire concept of something so Kikaider like, and then later twisting it into a "Virtual Reality" plotline at the end.

I dunno, maybe I would of been more interested in it with maybe a different name but same concept. Though I'm personally glad that Jason returned to the Power Rangers which I think helped them last as long as they have....cause well.....VR Troopers sure didn't last that long.

3. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I miss me some classic Power Rangers!!! Go Go Power Rangers Mighty Morphen Power rangers

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I couldn't sit through it long enough to see Jamie Kennedy.

5. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

VR Troopers sucked on soooo many levels...and I loved Power Rangers, so there you have a comparison.

And if we are about funny facts, I understand there's a band called Primus, but they're not known at all here in Chile.

And about Chile, there's a humor guy who's playing as a transformer in a Chilean TV show: he transforms into a carboard box.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I just think it's funny that Big bad beetleborgs and VR Troopers are dubs of the same show.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

No they are Not. VR troopers is three diffrent Metal Hero Seires, while BigBadBeatleborgs was B-Fighter I belive.

8. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Saban was well known of taking seperate sentai and toku shows and merging them to be a single program or having them all related. Take the masked rider/ power ranger crossover.
    Also, speaking of "dub" Saban was well known to use ALOT of poorly edited footage of kamen rider black rx into there masked rider series. it was so poorly edit that even as a little kid i would go "thats japanese!" whereas power rangers...lol I didnt put two nd two together for A LONG time.

Its kind of sad that power rangers is the only series still in existance, everything else would last atleast 2 to 3 seasons and die.
    yet theres alot of untapped potential out there waiting to come overseas. garo, and kamen rider. hell some small time production team is trying to get one of the kamen rider shows here in the US and even made a pilot. I think it was from Kamen Rider Ryuki and they dubbed it kamen rider wing knight.

9. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i was not destined to be so.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In fairness, most of those shows deserved to die.

11. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

oh lord i think if they had brought that out instead of vrtroopers i would of watched it.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    OMG the one liners were awful.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    In all fairness, though, VR Troopers ultimately ran from 1994 to 1996. Even if Saban HAD registered the name "Cybertron", chances are the registration would have expired by 2005, or Hasbro could have opposed the continued registration for lack of use of the mark in over eight years. Mind you, Hasbro did get "Shockwave" back, too.

Similarily, the "Hasbro almost lost 'Megatron'" story appears to be vastly blown out of proportion. Hasbro have released new "Megatron" toys in 1984, 1990, and then at least once every year ever since 1993. Konami apparently attempted to hijack the name in 2001, but Hasbro had used the name continuously for eight years straight by that point, so Konami's takeover attempt would end up being unsuccessful. I doubt the name was ever in any real danger of being lost to Konami. "Galvatron" would have been a lot harder to defend by that point, even though the USPTO had failed to cancel Hasbro's registration for the name (which dated back to 1986) for some reason.

14. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Saban's Masked Rider was fucked up. They used a combination of the Shin, ZO, and J Rider seriesf for the footage.

15. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Wow... interesting factoids.

I didn't even remember VR Troopers and had to look for the intro on Youtube.

But judging by that clip with JDF ... man what horrible acting and corny dialog ... even by PR standards.

What? No South Park or Robot Chicken in Chile? ;) 

Primus does the theme on both shows.

Yeah, but then I guess the "bullet" Kickback's saying we dodged would've been if VR Troopers as Cybertron would have been a successful series that lasted more than 2 seasons.

Wow. I love reading these factoids. :p 

-airfox

16. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

...and there was an gigantic, bright yellow robot named Megatron (controlled by the "bad guys," of course) that appeared in issue #18 of Marvel's Shogun Warriors series back around 1979. :) 

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering how involved Marvel was with some of Hasbro's property developments in the 80's, Perhaps guess Marvel with Hasbro dug up those old names ("Cybertron" and "Megatron", et al) that weren't being used (or maybe 're-created' them, not realizing they had already done it once) and Hasbro got the trademarks out of it.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I was only wrong on the number, 5 not 2. B-fighter was also a Metal hero series.

19. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Y'know, if they tried this again, and updated the special effects, didnt recycle footage, etc, I'd probably watch this....

Would've been better had it been an actual spin-off from MMPR though. Something like a mini-series crossover to start this new series off. Rita reclaimed the Green Power Coin, and nearly kills Tommy who has to go all Iron Man to save the day (would've been cool had Cybertron been kinda like the Iron Man armour).