Voyager Ironhide: Should I keep him?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

So after months of hype and searching for the handful of elusive movie figures on my hit list, I've been more than a little disappointed on more than one occasion once I actually ACQUIRED the figures in question.

My DLX Arcee had a messed-up molded head, my Barricade had a bunch of sprue flashing and looked like it had been painted by a three year old with a spatula, and Ironhide...well... let me tell you about Ironhide.

I initially didn't want this figure simply because I wasn't much of a fan of the movie character, the alt mode, or anything about him, UNTIL I learned that you can turn his head around backwards to reveal a spitting image of Trailbreaker's face....which someone HAD to have done on purpose. It's too coincidental otherwise. I reasoned that maybe, just maybe...I could paint his face up right and somehow shoehorn him into my collection as a "Classics Trailbreaker" or something...

A bout of dubiously plausible justification later, I decided I would pick him up when I next saw him, which I did not long after. I was really excited up until the point that I got him out of the box. Like some of the other movie figures I've gotten, the black plastic looks and feels incredibly cheap, and there were already scuff marks on the windshield before I even got him out of the package.

I fought the confusing instructions and managed to cobble together his floppy excuse for a robot mode, and was overcome with buyer's remorse. The paint apps are inexcusably sloppy, and I'd be hard pressed to decipher any kind of recognizable face from his massive melon head, which can't see past his own shoulderpads flapping freely in the breeze. The automorph gimmick removes any chance of posability from his feet, and the enormous weapons look ludicrous in both robot AND truck mode...the transformation itself being 15 minutes of unenjoyable frustration to manage either way, worse than ANY alternator I've owned. (And I include Grimlock in that statement.) And upon closer inspection, he's too big to be a Classic, too small to be an Alt...I can't really see keeping him for kitbashing purposes anymore.

So in the end, not only have my recent buying experiences made me wary of the poor quality movie line figures as a whole, but I'm seriously considering boxing ol' Ironhide back up and returning him to the TRU from whence he came, or maybe just tossing him on my trade list, because I really can't see myself wanting to keep him. I gave him three days to grow on me, and yet I am still of the opinion that the 22$ he cost me would be better spent on beer and taco bell.

Can anyone help convince me to keep him? I know he probably couldn't have lived up to my own personal hype no matter what, and I might regret it somewhere down the line if I take him back, but every time I look at him now I just feel like he was a waste. C'mon, someone give me one good reason to keep him around!

2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    You have mis-transformed your shoulder pads, they should not be floppy.

3. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Hmmm I actually _like_ ironhide. He is one of the few movies figures that is not a complete waste of space.

Saying that I have re deco'd mine to make sure he looks the part. All that cheap black plastic everywhere was ruining the character for me :) 

I _love_ his 'shoulders' to be honest. They give him that beefy, tough ass robot look which I think fits quite well with the Ironhide character. I agree, however, that the automorph leg pieces are a pain in the rear :( 

His huge ass weapons look bloody awful out of the box, but after a few licks of paint and some drybrushing, that nasty blue plastic is forgotten and some kick ass metalic weapons are in their place and looking pretty sweet.

Have a look at my re deco'd Ironhide thread and tell me that his weapons don't look better :)  (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=150548).

I have also painted the rest of him now so that his looks much, much better. All that black plastic just soaks up the detail to a point where you cannot see anything but black. Putting some silver highlights on and added some more paint apps really does improve the figure.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you should give Ironhide another chance. he really grows on you.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless you're hurting for money, I suggest keeping the toys you're not digging at least a little while and letting them grow on you. One day you might find yourself wanting Ironhide again if you let him go now, regretting ever doing so. You never know! Just give it some time before you make a decision like selling him or returning him or whatever.

6. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I agree with you 100% I bought the big bruiser and sold him to my brother. And yet after spending a little more time with it while I was visiting my bro, I got to really liking him again. Like Cataclizm1 says, he grows on you. So now I am looking for him again and like Robotochan, I am going to repaint him so that he really is worthy. mess around with him and check the boards to see what other people have to say about his transformation, there are ways to make him look better transformed than the instructions indicate.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep him. He's better than the coming repaint, which is blue Ironhide. And YES, they don't make toys like they used to.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow. i did not know abt the trailbreaker back of head, weird.

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Mine's fine, but I think of him as Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime/Scourge. This is especially easy since he doesn't have faction symbols. I just need to give him a sword and maybe a silver faceplate.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You didn't transform his shoulders right, it doesn't take 15 minutes to transform him, alt/bt grimlock/wheeljack are easy to transform, and I can't really explain why so many of your TF's have crappy paint apps and flashing on the edges, but none of mine do.

11. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I wish I could, but to be honest whenever I look at some of my TFs I would much prefer having the money than the toys. A beer and good Mexican food (not Taco Bell) is indeed superb to most, if not all, TFs.

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's redundant as taco bell doesn't even qualify as bad mexican food.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Why is it fair to make TRU take back an opened figure because you decide you don't like it? I think the better thing to do would be to trade it or sell it.

14. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I'm not sure what people here are doing that I'm not.

I messed with him a bit more last night, and I can't see ANY place to peg down or secure the shoulder pad/door assemblies; they're just sort of hanging on a pair of floppy, spring-loaded bars. The only thing I've found that comes close to a solution is resting the folded inner doors on the little notches on his back-kibble, which still feels kinda questionable and doesn't look a whole lot better, though it does keep the parts from moving.

I'm thinking maybe if I removed the spring-loaded parts and formed my own styrene joints to replace the crappy blue ones connecting the shoulder pads to the front chassis, something with a little more friction that will stay where I put it, I might be happier.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, it was just a bit of hyperbole. It took me quite a long time the first time, for sure. But now that I've gotten the hang of it...well, it's still a bit of a balancing act unless you do things exactly right, but I've gotten faster at converting him.

And while I'm WARY of my future purchases, I'm not writing off the entire line. There have been plenty that didn't have any issues -- my Wreckage was beautiful right out of the package, and my second Arcee was great. My G1 Redeco Jazz was also not too shabby either -- nothing a dab of alcohol couldn't fix. I'm still waiting for Dropkick to arrive in the mail, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him too.

That's a great job, and I agree, the weapons do look a bit better like that -- I think I might have preferred if they had come in a silver plastic, so as to look more like fuel tanks or something.
    And I agree that for a lot of figures, there's a world of difference in a few extraneous paint apps; few, if any, of my figures remain in their stock condition. I'm always looking at them thinking of ways to modify them: improving the transformation, increasing articulation, or highlighting the features with a little paint here and there.

Like how I took my dlx Wreckage and carved down the whole ridge area behind his neck ball joint -- now he can actually look forward, and his whole range of head motion is greatly improved. Then I carved out some of his ankle plastic along a detail line, so he can bend his ankles a bit further inward.

But anyways, this is about Ironhide. If I do end up keeping him, I'm definitely going to have to hit him with some paint sometime -- in my mind he's totally a Trailbreaker waiting to happen. (Though I still think he could use a little smaller head... )

So does that mean you want to buy him from me? ;)  If not, that's what receipts are for.

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    When I first saw the pics of Ironhide: HELL YES I NEED THAT

When I had it in hand: Meh, needs more articulation

Now: I like it, one of the better figs from the line

16. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Del Taco>Taco Bell. Man I'm glad I'm back in Cali.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ironhide was my first and still my favorite movie toy.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I guess I've been pretty lucky so far... the quality control and paint apps on the movie figures I've bought so far are fine. It's weird, but some people just seem to get the bad batches.

Ironhide could use some more paint apps to break up the black.. .though I don't find the black plastic to be any cheaper than what is used on other TFs (particularly Alternators)... it may not be the best stuff, but it's certainly in keeping with what we've been getting from the TF line for quite a while now, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed.

His shoulders are floppy, and resting the doors on the grooves on his back is a bit... awkward. However, you can lock his shoulders down if you you arrange hem horizontally rather than diagonally. There's enough tension on the hinge assembly for the shoulders that if you simply press them down into a flattened position (ie:straight across, rather than pointing inward), they stay in place perfectly.

I like Ironhide a lot, though he didn't exceed my expectations... the floppy bits on the legs and the junky back kibble were kind of weak points.

As for the Trailbreaker thing... holy crap!! I had noticed that the back of his head (and the backs of MANY movie TFs) would make a pretty good simplified robot face, but I never made the Trailbreaker connection. It does look la fair bit like the G1 toy TB!

However, there's something too buff, too aggressive about this mold for it to say Trailbreaker to me. The vehicle mode is right as are the colours, but the robot mode just says "badass" while Trailbreaker always seemed like a big, awkward likable guy. :) 

I say keep it. It's a pretty good figure, and with some paint touch-ups, he'll look a lot better. It feels like you're being a bit uncharitable to the figure due to a sudden case of buyer's remorse (and perhaps unfair expectations for the figure), but I think he's pretty decent if you give him a fair shake.

zmog

19. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Don't think you transform the shoulder wrong. Its meant to be floppy by the spring. However, you can also make them stay flat rather than a 'V' shape, and it locks in place. But the 'V' shape is more movie accurate. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother to put springs there to make the 'V'.

Unless you really dislike Ironhide, I would suggest keeping him. I feel slightly disappointed too after hearing so much praise on him, but wasn't as impressive as I expected when in hand. However, if you are complaining about paint apps & plastic quality, you might be expecting too much. Unless its MP or BT, or other Japanese high end toys, they are more or less the same cheap stuff, especially a Hasbro TF. I had problem with Ironhide's feet too, not that stable for standing since the heels don't lock, but wobble. But its not that frustrating transforming after couple times. And some additional paint can make him shine.

Not the best TF in the movie line for sure, but its not so bad. He looks cool, and can be fun as long as you overlook some of its flaws.

20. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Hey there.. I've been paying more attention to my ironhide lately and last night actually touched up some of him in his alt mode.

I also wanted to point out something about him having floppy shoulders. Your not transforming him correctly.. I attached some pics showing how to correctly transform him so you dont have floppy shoulders..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How your probably doing it....

(still looks cool!!)
    [​IMG]

How to do it so that theres no floppy shoulders..
    [​IMG]