Minor/Repaint: Voyager Class ULTRA MAGNUS w/Movie Styling

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Zildjian, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was a cool project, and a little bit different that others have made. I went a bit off of the norm with this one and added some personal "aspects" to make him look more unique and not like the traditional Ultra Magnus. As I have said before, virtually NONE of the characters from the movie look like they are supposed to.

Now, on to the actual process..... whew! The plastic Hasbro used on these figures is a bit softer than normal, and thus the dye used in the red plastic "bleeds" through when primes, sealed, or painted! Every white primer or paint turned pink ever after multiple coats.... I almost gave up. Then I found Tamiya sealer. It was better than ANY other sealer I have ever used, but it is expensive. That solved the pink issue, but this son of a bitch still chips when transformed over and over again. Meh.... thank god he is done, and I do like the way he turned out..... he has a really unique look, and all of the silver and robotic parts are MIRROR CHROME finished, which makes this bad boy SHINE! I absolutely love that look!!!

Alright, enough written diarrhea.....

For more pictures visit my website (http://www.zildjianscustoms.com/). He will be up for sale this weekend on eBay as well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's really good except for the head. But other then that good work.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not bad. I personally don't like the head, but, to each their own. I'm suddently hungry for toasted marsmallows :thumb .

4. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Great job, Not a fan of Jetfire's head. Does not match the movie styling IMO.

5. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    i have to agree...everything looks great but i'm not feeling the head on this one

6. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    I hate to be a follower but i'm not feelin the head either. seems to large and the guns don't belong IMO.

7. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

cool looking,but doesn't really say "magnus" to me.maybe some red?

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Like wise with the head.

When I painted mine I never had any pink issue. I used walmart testor acrilyc gloss white on one,and some random white spray paint for cars on another one.

As for the chipping,just use a knife to trim down the hinge for the shoulder and the backpack part.

9. Zildjian

News Credits:
    Which one of the movie characters says their name? Does Ironhide, Ratchet, Jazz, etc look like their G1 version? Nope...

People really need to look outside of the box with these "movie style" repaints....

10. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

I know everyone has said it but I have to put in my part about it as well...the head really bugs me. Not because it's jetfire's head, because I can see what you were going for, but the problem is, you have an unarmored body look, with an attempt at an armored head. The two modes are so drastically different, I'm afraid it's not a mix and match kinda thing. Perhaps if you had painted it to look like he had the armor on and kept the head, then it might have worked better for me, I dunno. Nice paint job either way.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm going with absolutely everyone else here and saying the head doesn't work. Again, not because it's Jetfire's head but because it doesn't fit the design. The whole movie concept is rough and pieced robots. Then you have this sleek head and also a bit oversized. I'd feel it more if you popped a modified ironhide head on it.

12. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The part that gets me about the head is the bottom,like you took a part of the neck along with the head.And it makes the head stand out in a bad way,like it's just floating there or something.

13. Zildjian

News Credits:
    That is fine, and it is my vision for the figure. What I don't get is how everyone presents their criticism as gospel. I like the way it looks, and feel the head is perfectly sized for the concept. The original Magnus was a big figure, with a BIG head. Look at the G1 figure... look how big that head was on that figure. I took the inspirtaion and used it here. The helmet comes off to revel the Jetfire head, but the helmet on it looks good to me.

Thanks for all of the criticsm, but I like the figure and this design is what I am all about.... making things WAY outside of the norm. I am tired of the straight repaints, I need a challenge and to think outside of the box.

14. Zildjian

News Credits:
    Come on man..... it is positioned looking up to show that it is on a ball joint. :( 

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't like the head either. It's fine that you like it, but there's nothing wrong with us NOT liking it.

If you don't want honest opinions, don't post your stuff. No need to get in a huff about it.

Besides, if you're just gonna sell it on ebay, don't you think you should make it look as appetizing to the customers as possible? As it is now, I wouldn't bid on it with that head, but I might if it actually matched and looked cool.

If the potential customers hate it, it doesn't matter how much you love it, ya know?

16. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The truck mode is very good however, the head does'nt seem right at all. I'm wondering why are customizers not using the Diaclone color version of Ultra Magnus is which is better than white in my opinion. The white Ultra Magnus is the Albino Prime for me.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Looks good but more blue would be cool. either way love the paint

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Head doesn't fit.

19. Zildjian

News Credits:
    I never said that is was not OK for people NOT to like it, that is what makes this board great it is a community.... what I had the issue with was people acting like their criticism is the gospel. Everyone has a different vision of what some of these figures "could" look like. Everyone HATED Michael Bay's version of their beloved Transformers before the movie hit... then all of a sudden they were loved.

I like working outside of the box, and I will continue to do that. I appreciate every bit of criticsm, good or bad, it is what makes us as customizers grow and get better. I have about a 50% split with people that like it and dislike it, and I already had a few of the people taht purchased my figures in the past email me about it. Some people like the odd, non-traditional look. Just as you said that If the potential customers hate it, it doesn't matter how much you love it, the other side is true as well!

Thanks for the input!! :D 

20. Blackmouf2002

Blackmouf2002 Insomniac

what did you use for your chrome metal. It looks great. I for one like the repaint by the way. Another excellent figure