Customs: Voyager Alpha Trion... where to start?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I've got an extra Vector Prime (1st run, US) and I'd like to make it Alpha Trion. Hopefully as close to the Botcon one as possible (I'll never be able to afford one, and I have VP, so...). My only problem is, I have no idea where to start.

My background: I've done 4 LOC Customs, 3 were strick repaints (Nemesis Prime/Scourge, Soundblaster, Thundercracker). My most recent (LOC Shockwave from LOC Megatron) required the head to be modified slightly (I just filed off the details)... No, y'all can't have pics of my work yet. Maybe tomorrow if the demand is high enough.

I know I'm going to need to dye the clear parts, and possibly the rest of the figure if it makes life easier. RIT dye, correct?

As for paint, Testors acrylic and a brush with some kind of sealant. All I've got, and I'm on a tight budget, so it will have to do...

Detailed pics of A3 are pretty much a must... Due to things beyond my control, I can't leave TFW for pics and stuff, so they would have to be here (or links I can put image tags around)

I know VP's head will need to be remolded/added to... Any suggestions?

My budget is whatever is left out of $20 when I get '08 Bee. So if I resort to HTS or somewhere else asking retail+shipping, I'll have less than if I get lucky and find it in stores.

If this turns out well, I could possibly start work on another larger-than-LOC project... But I doubt I will... that $20 is all I have until I start getting paid.

Thanks in advance

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Add me to the list of people that want to see pictures of what you've done so far, especially the Shockwave. As for clear parts, you can't dye them, though a nice colored marker will do nicely.

3. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Shockwave isnt that great... The orange didn't hold the paint well (after washing, base coat of white, dry overnight...), and it basically looks like purple batmobile... And I still need to figure out how to get the left hand to be a gun instead of a hand... I'll make a separate thread later (I was going to anyway, but after the flmaes I recieved when I expressed my dissatisfaction with Leader Brawl, I figured going against the fandom AGAIN should be done silently)

btw, i was kinda inspired to make Shockwave by your Classics Shockwave WIP... I had the thread open and the LOC megs I could cut up and whatever with me... and it clicked.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. It's nice to hear that I've inspired a kitbash, lol. I never thought of Cybertron Megtron beinga good base for a Shockwave bash, but, with the proper remolding, it could look good. Back on topic, Sculptbot could custom make you an Alpha Trion head, he's good at stuff like that.

5. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I think he works for a little more than $4.50... I'll take the chances with some kind of substance (hell, knowing my dad there's something I can use in the garage)...

And I have no idea how I saw Shockwave in LOC Megs, but I did, and it turned out OK...

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

if you need an alpha trion head for your custom, just be patient. *wink*

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    all I did for my alpha trion (its in the board gallery) that I made a year ago was to dye the clear pieces with red rit dye so they became purple. the headcrest and beard was just cut pieces of styrene glued on... you could go the putty route too if you so chose though of course.