Voyage of the Dawn Treader aka Chronicles of Narnia 3

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Captain Craig, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Well-Known Member

Didn't see a thread for this after looking for one.

Has anyone seen this yet? It got a raw shake from FOX as far as marketing goes. This movie is way better than the second installment Prince Caspian.

It's a good adventure tale in a fantasy setting. It's not to say the movie doesn't have a few silly moments. Those exist to move the plot along and I chalk it up to having been ideally made for a target audience of 14 and under.

If you like a good fantasy movie with adventure and some sword play then this isn't a bad way to spend two hours.

I rate the movie a grade B+

2. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Sweet, I'm glad to hear something positive! I haven't seen it yet, but want to. One of my favorite books from the set.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    since FOX/Disney have made the following:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Prince Caspian
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

i wonder if they'll ever make these:

The Magician's Nephew(Prequel)
    The Silver Chair
    The Last Battle

same here, just haven't had time since i caught that damn head cold & it completely screwed up my in-theater seeing schedule

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Why wouldn't they? They've got the rights under lock and key, and they're proven moneymakers.

5. Captain Craig

The producers, Walden Media, are the actual copyright film holders. It's why they were able to get it made at Fox. This property is like Star Wars or Terminator in that someone else has the rights and partners with a studio to get the film made.

If Fox decides to not do the next movie, The Silver Chair, Walden Media has already said they will shop it around to other studios. Frankly, if your a fan and haven't yet seen the film theatrically you need to. The film could use the $$$ at the box office. The North American ticket sales are not stellar. Again, I blame Fox marketing. It's only made about $44 million in 11 days on a $155m production budget. It's now fighting an uphill battle. Luckily the Overseas Receipts are robust and it's WW total is $160m+. Still we Canadians and Americans need to get out and see it so there is no delay in getting Silver Chair made.

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw it twice

And made a thread for it a few months ago...

7. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want my horse and his boy!!!

8. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    The wife and I just saw it last night and we both really enjoyed it! Definitely better than Prince Caspian, though we enjoyed that one too. Hope they keep making the rest of the series... still need to actually READ all the books.

Little Georgie Henley seems to have really grown up since the last one. She's a cutie! :) 

9. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I need to see this. Planned on seeing it last week but I ended up in the hospital, so maybe I'll go right after Christmas. I really want to see The Silver Chair and The Last Battle made. The Last Battle would be awesome.

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was horrible, IMO. Acting was over the top, CGI was equal to a Syfy movie. Just didn't like it.

I guess the only good thing is that our Literature class got to go see it in theaters, as a field trip of sorts.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it yesterday and loved it! I didn't expect to like this one much, but I was surprised at how fun it was. The final scene was thrilling too, and beautifully done.

I was a bit irked by the changes from the novel's story, but they work in the context of the film, I guess. Great movie!

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Seen the first movie and that is enough for me, since all the sequels look the same in terms of action and F/X.

13. Captain Craig

It's been having good legs despite it's lackluster opening 3 weeks ago. It's now around $65m US domestic but has crossed the $200m mark in WorldWide totals. It's looking like it'll have a chance now to do $100m domestic, especially if its New Years Weekend is as good as Christmas weekend.

14. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

My wife and I saw it a few weeks ago. I was quite pleased with it, particularly in that it stayed true to the Christian allegory, particularly at the end.

15. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Started off a little slow for me, got better later on.

16. Captain Craig

Dawn Treader managed to bring in another $3.4m to bring its US domestic total to $76.6m. With any luck it'll have another good weekend and have a total closer to $90m come Monday actuals. For how it started out crossing $100m would be an accomplishment even though it's still a dissapointing US domestic total.

We should also have the new international numbers and Dawn Treader is likely to go over $300m. With every milestone it increases the faint chances of The Silver Chair being made I'd think.

17. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I enjoyed watching this movie. Alot more interesting than Clash of Titans IMO, even though it's a kiddy movie basicly. Poor box office results in US are a damn shame.

18. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

This was by far the weakest installment in the series (and LW&W was pretty weak as well) and really serves no purpose. This movie does nothing to move the story along. It serves no purpose. The only thing that happens is the characters face the same type of "demons" they've supposedly already overcome in previous installments. The Peter and the white witch thing is just a tad old by now.

The ONLY reason you couldn't completely skip this movie is the introduction of the Eustace character which I assume (never read the rest of the series) plays a role in the later stories.

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "The Silver Chair" is the first Narnia book without the Pevensie children. Instead, Aslan calls Eustace back to Narnia together with his classmate Jill Pole. There they are given four signs to aid in the search for Prince Rilian, Caspian's son, who disappeared after setting out ten years earlier to avenge his mother's death. Eustace and Jill, with the help of Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle, face danger and betrayal before finding Rilian.

"The Last Battle" chronicles the end of the world of Narnia. Jill and Eustace return to save Narnia from Shift, an ape, who tricks Puzzle, a donkey, into impersonating the lion Aslan, precipitating a showdown between the Calormenes and King Tirian.

20. Captain Craig

Voyage of the Dawn Treader crosses $400m worldwide

Voyage of the Dawn Treader crossed the $400m mark worldwide last weekend!!

It's going to close around $105m US domestic but the worldwide figure should solidly give it a good chance at a sequel. Based on the way the movie ended you'd think The Silver Chair was next. However, some talk has been it could be The Magician's Nephew.