Voracious jumbo squid invade California

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ams, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, I am NEVER going to the west coast. :eek: 

Seriously, they're not a danger to large animals, but could be a major impact to the fishing industry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_on_sc/jumbo_squid_invasion_2

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mmmm giant calamari...

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

If they eat up all the fish, can we eat them?

4. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

This is why animals don't have rights and we have the right to bear arms.

"Wabbit season" "Squid season!" "Wabbit season!" :lol 

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This is the first I have heard of this.

6. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Exactly what I always say. :D 

Send me out there with a boat and a dream, fishermen won't have a thing to compete with and I'll be up to my eyeballs in yummy squid goodness.

7. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Naw those Humboldt squid aren't anything for people to mess around with. I saw this show, it was either on Discovery on Animal Planet I don't remember, but it was actually about the Humboldt and how aggressive they were. The location shooting for the show and all the in water research happeneded in the Gulf of California, but this is the first I've heard of them being on the West Coast. Anyway, onto the point, these things were mean f'n buggers. Each of the suckers is lined with sharp teeth, they're the only squid that has that. They showed this guy who had actually been attacked by them, and he took he shirt off and you could see these sucker marks all over his body and he had a chunk of skin get torn off his back too. They never figured out what caused the attack, if the squid were actually attacking this guy or if he just got caught up in the middle of a feeding frenzy, but it made me never want to meet one up close and personal.

8. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I bet those damn humpback whales that kept getting stuck in the San Francisco bay were trying to warn us of the impending squid invasion.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    These things are crazy. I've gone on fishing trips to catch these. Very messy but fun. These squid die in LARGE amounts and end up washed up on the beach....nasty..

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love it! Life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    George and Gracie? I thought they were warning us of impending alien whale-probe invasions.

12. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Interesting thing, some scientists have found evidence that squid communicate by manipulating their skin colour, and have vocabularies of several hundred 'words'.

Humbolt squids have two colours. Swim and kill.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    They were on Rogue Nature on Discovery Channel.

I don't know what they were talking about with the "If they see a human they will swim the other way" as there have been several documented attacks and some unconfirmed deaths.

The guy on the program had to wear diving armor when he went swimming with them.

14. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Humboldt squid once invaded the Virgin Islands. They are now The Islands.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    No, I'm serious. Squids and cuttlefish create complex patterns of colour to convey different things. Humboldt squids can only flash white and red. White is for swimming around. Guess what red means.

16. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Sexy time?

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Ok, I don't care how aggressive they are; are they edible? Do they taste good? If they damage the fish population badly enough that we can't fish certain species for awhile, can we just go after these things instead? That'll knock a dent into their little invasion.

18. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Problem solved

Fried Giant Squid Fillets

• 8 Giant Squid Steaks; 3/4"-1" thick
    • 2 to 4 Beaten Eggs
    • 2 Cups of Flour
    • 2 Cups of Medium Grind Corn Meal
    • Tony Chacere's Creole Seasoning to taste
    First off, you need to clean the squid at the end of your fishing trip. The acids in their stomach can make 'em go bad pretty quick. I can't recall smelling anything in my entire life that smells worse than bad squid. After gutting them and throwing away all but the body, we'd slice them into 4 steaks, rinse, and take home. The trick is now skinning them. It's like skinning a catfish, if you know how. Start the edge of the skin with a fillet knife. The outer layer is very tough, and tends to come off better in one direction than the other. The inner layer is almost unnoticeable, but it's there.

So now you've got skinned steaks, which I then slice in half to where I have 8 pieces total per squid, each piece about 3/4"-1" thick, and about 3"X6". Now you need a really sharp fillet knife to slice the 1" steaks into two thinner fillets. All of this takes practice, but what do you have to lose, right? 40 pounds of squid? Now you need to slightly tenderize the fillets using one of those spiked hammer looking meat tenderizers. MAKE SURE YOU COVER FILLETS WITH SARAN WRAP otherwise, squid juices will be everywhere! Then you cut the tenderized fillets into about 1/2" strips, and soak in a beaten egg. The egg helps fluff up the batter a little better (than beer or milk) Hopefully, you have a favorite batter. I suggest 50-50 blend of medium grind corn meal to self rising flour, plus some Tony Chacere's Creole Seasoning.

Get your Frydaddy hot, then throw a handful of the squid into a tupperware with a lid and batter and shake it. Separate any clumps, shake again, Toss them in the grease, 4-7 minutes, until lightly golden. They really don't need anything else, but you could squeeze a lemon and dip in marinara or cocktail sauce.

SOURCE: http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=727

19. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

yummy yum!
    but seriously, these creatures are mean as hell, i remember this show that said that after men are gone, a possibility would be that squid-people retake the world!!! THE INVASION HAS JUST BEGUN!