Voltron Variations/Toy List?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by fschuler, Jun 17, 2006.

1. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Howdy,

Does anyone here know/own all or most of the variations of Voltron toys beginning in the early 80s and through present day? I did some googling, but didn't find a whole lot of conclusive info. Specifically, I'd like to know manufacturer, years made, size, diecast/plastic, etc.

I recently got both a diecast Lion Voltron and a plastic Vehicle Voltron on ebay. One of the Lions is labeled "GOLION D, Y&K TOEI", and the other four are labeled with some Japanese symbols followed by "Y&K 1981" on them.

The Vehicle Voltron components are mostly plastic and all bear the same type of manufacturer info molded into them, i.e., the vehicle number (1 through 15), a slew of japanese writing (I noticed a line of japanese text that is followed by "-X V" (Dairugger XV maybe?)), and "JAPAN 1982" appears beneath the box that contains the rest of the information above. Was there also a diecast version of Vehicle Voltron (Dairugger XV, Voltron I, etc.) that was "transformable"? The guy I have is, like I said, almost all plastic and he stands at least 14 inches tall.

I'm a bit disappointed, due to the fact that the seller claimed they were both manufactured by Matchbox, however, the quality of both bots is still high. Not to mention the fact that both of them were won in the same auction for $80 shipped! Not too bad, I think.

Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks!

Frank

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well I do not know much about those toys. However Golion was the name of the show in Japan that became lion voltron, and Dairugger XV became the vehicle voltron. I know that this is not much, but maybe you got the Japanese toys instead of the American ones.

3. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks. Funny, I just read a government recall warning about 30 minutes ago that said the Matchbox Lion Voltron toys were to be recalled due to high levels of lead in the paint. The Japanese versions, it claimed, did not have the lead problem. Maybe I shouldn't be bummed about not getting Matchbox after all! Thanks for the input!

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I once saw the Matchbox toys for Voltron2, that was made up of three smaller robots. (Golion was Voltron3) I don't think those episodes ever got shown in the states. I have no idea what anime it started as.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Alebgas. They have a clip of the cartoon at http://www.voltronforce.com

6. Gaokaiser

Gaokaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits: