Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I saw on facebook that Toyer City won't be shipping Madtoys Voltron until March, because of Chinese New Year or something like that. Kind of a bummer, but not a deal killer. I'm still gonna pick him up. My shelf is gonna look sweet:
    Mattel's Matty Collector Voltron in the back.
    Toynami EX Voltron and Playmates LD Voltron in front of him.
    And then SOC Voltron and Madtoys Voltron in front of them.
    And finally: The 9-inch Combinable LD Voltron in front of them.

It's gonna be a Voltron toy family picture. ^_^

That's 30 robot lions- they're gonna look epic lined up. Imagine being a robeast and thinking you're going to only fight 5 robot lions, but then you finally land, pop out of your coffin ship, and there's just 30 robot lions there waiting....LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's like the cool version of being a crazy cat lady.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pudglor Shmormuff

Dude, how epic would it be to hear 30 robot lions roar all at the same time. (Robeast raises his weapon towards the sky) Lotor, you bastard!! XD

It would be pretty funny if 1 of them started messing around, and all the black lions were like, "Stop messing around #24, this isn't the time!"

And #24's like, "Meow meow meow!! Meow meow meow MEOW meow meow!!" MEOW!!"

Black lions are like, "#24 CUT THE SHIT!!"

(24 hops back in position with a smartass grin)

BLs are like, "Come on 24- don't be like that- you know we're right- we can discuss this later."

While this is all going on the robeast is running away like, "F THIS!" XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
  4. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

BBTS ship notification get, so Tuesday will probably see me getting gx71 and LD voltron in hand

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

I had considered getting the KoB v1 a couple of years ago.
    Looking at the comparison with the SoC now, while the KoB does have a lot of cool stylized features and details (in particular, I really like the colored sections on the lions' hips/shoulders, it helps blend the legs in combined mode a bit more), I'm really happy I held out and ended up preordering the SoC.
    Can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  6. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

THANK YOU FOR THESE SHOTS!

7. dante78

dante78 Well-Known Member

thanks, i have checked again and there are other die cast parts on the black lion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Pudglor Shmormuff

Wow, those are cool pictures!

9. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure how the box and labeling will work. But Bandai has shown it off with some MMPR materials in North America. So they know and understand the market in that regard. The big thing to watch for with GX-72 will be if it shows up in North America in Toys R Us under Bandai America's banner, in much the same way that the MP Transformers sometimes do with Hasbro.

As for timing? bandai has their own release schedules and pays attention to nobody else. This is just their way. I suspect that Toynami's Voltron license is sunseting, so they had to get the product out and onto the shelves to maximize what time they have left to sell it. They technically don't conflict with Bandai as Bandai picked up the Sub License that Mattel had previously. I'm not quite sure how WEP has it subdivided or what the terms of exclusivity are. Playmates has a sublicense for the new Dreamworks show, directed specifically at Retail Toy aisles. They are not actually considered a conflict with the classic stuff. An IP license gets split up in a bunch of different ways depending on how the IP owner chooses to sell it. Often "Toys", "Action Figures", "High End Collectables", "Construction Toys" and "Games" may be separate licenses sold individually (just to use a common breakdown as an example). Unless the licensor has some unified marketing and branding approach they will rarely step in about what gets made when. For example they may set release dates based on media properties such as a new movie or tv show. Some like Star Wars insist on unified branding and box markings year to year across the lines, etc.

10. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Member

Sitting at work while my SOC has just arrived at my house. A new level of torture!

11. Pudglor Shmormuff

Dude, mine's not supposed to reach my place until next week- so I feel ya...but at least we didn't miss out- better to wait more than you'd prefer VS not being able to get one at all. ^_^

12. dante78

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whelp, SoC is not getting off to a good start for me. My Black lion was broken straight out of the box:

[​IMG]

The ratchet joint on Voltron's right leg just worked itself apart when I moved the upper leg and the whole leg fell off. Ugh...:( 

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    *winces*

Damn, that's shocking? Where did you order from, and can they replace it for you?

15. Jdk504

Jdk504 REDWOLF

Soc ordered! Returned EX with no issues to bbts and they even paid for return shipping (EX was defective). I can see myself buying it again but only if price went down (225-275). It was a cool item and with cavemans suggestions on how to tighten up the ball joints it seems to be a solid figure. I had issues with scrapes, scuffs and thinly painted areas. He does look like a badass! I'll just enjoy the soc and LD for now. I can't wait for the 9" die cast figure. Honestly I've been wanting that all along, but didn't think playmates would release one. Isn't that crazy?

Season 2 is out now on Netflix I think I'll check it out

16. Pudglor Shmormuff

0_0...

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    yea im not sure if i want to do the drybrush just yet. so green lion snout and then ears on yellow lion too. and the gold on the shield, bleh.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. dante78

no, it's the first release.
    The new one it will be out in March

19. Pudglor Shmormuff

What's really nice about all these voltrons coming out is that each one has a design that resembles a sort of emotional theme, if that makes any sense- like the LD Voltron is smooth, curvy, round, doesn't have a lot of details and indentations in it's surfaces, it has a very simple and rather relaxed design- but then you've got the Ultimate EX, with all it's jagged curves and sharp edges and layered panels, it's very aggressive- and then you've got the Madtoys Voltron with it's big, blocky limbs and bulky head- it's a semi-goofy, yet intimidating look- and then you've got the SOC GX-71, which is pretty much.....well that's Voltron. LOL

Choices choices choices man, and the great thing is: The designs differ just enough to offer something pleasing for everyone- I think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got him from BBTS, thank God. Contacted them this morning with that pic and they're going to swap me another black lion. I know a lot of people like mocking their prices, but hassle-free customer service and exchanges are why I'm willing to pay a bit more to use them. It's saved me more than once and I'm having a MUCH better day right now than if I had used say, Anime Export or Nippon Yasan. Still a lame first experience with the SoC line, but what can you do?

That ratchet joint though....seeing how it comes together makes me a little nervous. Everything is metal, but the actual connection piece between the leg and the hips is tiny. Hopefully this won't become an issue for other folks.

• Like Like x 1