Voltron on Comcast - On Demand

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Infosaur, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this show in forever, since I didn't own a VCR when it was out. (I did have the toy though :rock )

Wow it has NOT aged very well. Animation wise Galaxy Rangers is much better, but it's probably a half notch above the Hasbro stuff of the time. But it's very choppy, lots of scenes are spliced together in ways that don't make sense. (Probably because the GoLion story had to be re-written into the Voltron story)

The voice acting is 'okay' but some lines just fall flat. Either the actors weren't aware of what was happening on screen or they had no one to react too when reading a line. (but that was also common of the time)

The sound effects are rediculous. And way mis-timed

The real problems that make it most unwatchable are simply dialogue issues that become maddning after a while. Such as:

adding weird pro-nouns to every thing ("Space Mice" "Space Burgers" "Rocket thrusters")

No concept of location (Galaxy Alliance, formed by the good planets of the solar system. The most dangerous threat in this galaxy, is from this universe.

The Voltron Force is refered to as the Space Explorers Team, for all of the first episode and half way though the 2nd, when they are christend the Voltron force for the first time. In the NEXT SCENE King Zarkon refers to them as the Voltron force. HE WASN'T EVEN THERE! Hello?

Anyway couldn't the writers come up with better terms for them? Instead of an interchangable term?

Anyway I understand most of this was cleared up in the comic that came out a year or so ago, (including pre-episode 1 backstories for the main charachters) but I stopped getting it because I felt a bit lost having not seen Voltron in over 15 years.

Still, I would not be adverse to them relaunching a Voltron G1 story.

The Premise stands up very well and could be adapted to a big screen movie or revival today. I especially like the ret-conned concept that "Vehicle Voltron" was built using Alliance technology to replace the "Lion Voltron" that had been lost.

5 Explorers sent to find a legendary weapon on a distant world, only to witness the genocide of it's population by Zarkon's army, and getting captured in the process. A daring escape, and chased back to the planet Arus in a stolen ship. Pursued and shot down they crash land in the desert near a the planet's capital, a castle that mysteriously remains standing in spite of being half destroyed.

The survivors of the Royal Court that still inhabit the castle know where the legendary Voltron can be found.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Dude, that's still common.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see interest in Voltron is being rekindled. Hopefully the new cartoon will be better than 3rd Dimension, and the live action movie won't blow.

3. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

The second collection of Voltron is out on DVD, but I haven't seen it yet in stores. It looks like they only sell the one in the collector's tin, at least online. Cheapest price is about $25.

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Uh huh. This show did not age well. I saw it again a few years ago (totally excited at the time) and after five minutes I wanted to kill myself.

If you were a childhood Voltron fan (could there be any other kind?) don't re-watch. Save your memories. Save your childhood. Avoid re-watching it.

I have been able to semi-save my reverence for the show by not watching it anymore. I can still remember the dramatic music and the utter confusion of the different pilots with different color costumes that didn't match the colors of their lions (usually). And then there was the replacement pilot. UGH ITS CONFUSING!

I only re-watched the Lion Voltron series. I am curious to re-watch the vehicle Voltron series for two reasons. One is, I barely caught any of it when I was young, so I'm curious to watch it. Second reason is, it just seems like a much more interesting show because of the larger cast and multiple teams. I figure the writing must be a little bit better because there would be greater amount of cast dynamics and characterization. I read the Wikipedia page and I think my assertions would be true.

Sigh sigh sigh. Again, this is another reason why parts of the 80s are best left alone. Quite a bit of that stuff is simply not that good (as opposed to the classic Hanna-Barbara cartoons of the 50s, 60s and 70s).

I remember when I re-watched He-Man as an adult and came to the following childhood-killing realizations:

1. The animation is terrible.
    2. This bastard solves all of his problems violence. He's defending his country but he's also kind of like a f--king bully. Lol.

5. flamepanther

I've already re-watched a fair bit of Voltron, and it didn't bother me that much. The episodes taken from GoLion still have pretty good animation and some halfway decent stories. The rest is pretty much typical of an 80s anime dub/edit. I find Robotech a lot more painful to watch because they wrecked a much better series than just a giant combining super robot anime with a sentai team in it.

Still, I'm going to pass up watching the series in English again and hold out for the GoLion set.

6. Infosaur

It had a lot of ambitious stuff actually. Just when they got Voltron together for the first time Sven get's hurt (Cartoon standards made it look like a bump on the noggin, instead of a serious injury) and it isn't untll the princess steps up that they can re-form Voltron. The weird relationship with the Princess and Zarkon's son Prince Lotor. The 2nd Castle of Lions (total mecha godzilla fan wank, but I loved that) the return of Sven as a freedom fighter. The two Voltrons team up. and the "Starcruiser of Lions"

if they could just pair down the original story to those pivitol moments I'd love to see it re done.

7. flamepanther

I think there's a good chance that's what the new cartoon is going to try to do. I just wish the animation were as detailed as the early episodes of the original show.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the is the second thread of mine this week, that some one else has recreated... and is more popular then mine too.

9. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I love Voltron. I make sure my DVR catches it every mo'nin'.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i like it, but it uses to much reused footage, but still great.

11. Infosaur

Sorry,,, nothing personal.

12. flamepanther

That's partly an inherent trait of combining robot anime and partly an inherent trait of heavily story-edited anime localization. Can't really be helped.

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I finally found Collection 2 on DVD. While I don't think it holds up as well as I remembered I also realize my expectations and the things that amazed me as a child are incredibly different from the things that do now as an adult.

Also Collection 2's discs are labled 4,5, and 6. I thought it was odd since Collection 1 was released as the three disc and a two disc set and it can throw the numbering off.