Voice Observation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by YanderePrime, Oct 13, 2011.

1. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    Well, I've been Marathoning all three Transformers films in a row when I've noticed something for the first time. In the first film, Megatron, Optimus and Starscream have different sounding voices than they do in the second and third.

In Optimus' case, it's only a slight change, but with Megatron and Starscream, there's a difference.

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason for the change is that the filmmakers decided to scale back the amount of audio effects used on the voice recordings. All three sound much deeper in the first film, right? They did not alter the pitch of the voices nearly as much in ROTF and DOTM. If you watch the voice actor feature on the TF1 bonus features, you can clearly hear how Charlie Adler's actual performance was much whinier and raspier, as it sounds in the sequels.

3. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    Ah, so that's why. God, I don't know how many times I watched the films and it's really the first time I've noticed it.

4. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

There is footage of the voice recording sessions for the bonus features of the first film? I have it, but I don't recall seeing anything aside from a few, brief seconds.

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I also noticed Ratchets voice getting higher in DOTM then it was in TF1 and ROTF.
    And Ironhide gaining a more accented voice in ROTF and DOTM

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I much prefer how Starscream sounded in the first film than he did in the following two.

7. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

I actually think he sounded better in the sequels. I just love that whiny voice. It screams cowardice and treachery. Just my :2c: 

8. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed That Too! I'm Glad they Didn't alter the pitch in Their Voices
    In The other 2 I Prefer
    they Way they Sounded IN ROTF And DOTM :D 

9. taylor_t

taylor_t ...a guitarmy of one.

I've got to go with the consensus and say I liked their ROTF and DOTM voices better.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I liked how it sounded too, but it wasn't very Starscreamy IMO

11. adamid4

adamid4 Well-Known Member

Disagree and Agree, Optimus's Voice was better in the sequels, for some reason he just sounds older and more weathered in the first movie.

But I like the metallicy growl that both Starscream and Megatron both had in the first, made them actually seem more robot like.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    TF1 Optimus Prime's voice worked the best.

Prefer the sequel voices for Megatron and Starscream. They sound more like a warlord and a whimpy cowardly sidekick.

13. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I am probably the only one here that likes the ROTF game voice the best.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I prefer Megatron's voice in the sequels. Much more of Hugo Weaving's actual voice.

15. Morgred

Morgred Banned

I noticed Optimus' and Starscream's voices were deeper in the 1st film, but Megatron seems about the same to me?

16. adamid4

adamid4 Well-Known Member

A bit off topic but I have to say that Tony Todds voice for The Fallen was one of the movieverses greatest voices. He did sound like a badass at least even if underused.

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I liked that they allowed Megatron and Starscream's voices to have more character in the second movie- however, with treating them more like characters and less like "alien robots" we also got things like the Twins.

I felt that out of all the robots in the sequels, Shockwave stuck to the portrayal of the Decepticons in the first movie- he didn't talk much, but snorted and roared and shot stuff a lot.

I'm still unsure if I liked the deeper, more metallic sounding voices or not, as I felt they were all kind of solemn and one-note, and I feel that characters like Jazz would have been more endearing if they had more character in their voices. However, Frenzy had a lot of character and never spoke a single word- that was very impressive.

I'm very thoughtful on this subject right now.

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yeah I remember the change, the sound was more machine like, and I wished they would have left it that way.
    Now they sound really human like probably the feel Bay/Co. were trying to accomplish.

In DOTM for example, when Megatron says; "All hail Megatron" his voice is very un-machine like, like I can picture Hugo Weavin in that shot.

I don't think I've noticed Optimus' voice sound change, but I know Ironhide was slighthly modified also.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

For some reason? Really? lol It's because the actor is older that he sounds older. You can't expect Peter Cullen to sound exactly the same as he did in 1984, it just isn't possible.

20. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure what he meant was that Optimus sounded older in the first film than he did in the second and third films.