Voice actors

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Do you think that the voice actors back in the 80's were attached to the the characters? I mean i am sure their was some sort of relationship between them, and I am sure the actors miss their characters when they were killed in TF:TM. I just saw a promo with Peter Cullen voicing OP and you can hear this slow song in the background.

I will post it and go to 1:53
    Transformers; Voices - YouTube

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    From what I've gleaned from talking to the ones I've met, I don't think anyone viewed Transformers as anything more than another paycheck when they started. Once they got into the studio though, I think a lot of them realized it was going to be something big, something special, and I think a lot of them made some great memories during their performances.

As to attachments to their characters, I think for many that attachment has been something that's grown over the years as they've seen the impact their performances have had on the lives of others, and just how much that character has meant to the fans.

I remember Michael Bell talking about his reaction to Prowl being killed off, but it seemed like at that point he was more sad to be losing the work than his chance to play Prowl. I think his characters have grown on him since then, however.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I think the only va's that may have felt something would have been Peter and Chris.

The other characters that died werent used as offten

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Yup.

Cullen and Welker get asked the same question in almost every interview I've seen them do, and other voice actors get asked this too, with similar responses:

Question: [Some variation of] Did you know how well-received your performance would be at the time?

Answer from Cullen/Welker/Michael Bell/Paul Eiding/etc: They usually answer in some variation of the Transformers acting experience being enjoyable, although tough with director Wally Burr. They usually state that they enjoyed their characters, but had no idea how well-received their performances were, and essentially viewed this as nothing more than another job in a long line of jobs. E.g., after Cullen got killed off Transformers he had no shortage of work in other cartoons. Most of the actors (usually Welker and Cullen) state that they had no idea of their fame until they showed up at a Botcon.

In short, I highly doubt the 80s actors thought Transformers was going to be this huge iconic phenomenon. It's easy to imagine the actors had a lot of fun with the roles and probably hoped others would enjoy their work, but I don't think it was like playing Shakespeare. To them, in the 80s, Michael Bell getting killed off as Prowl was like a Starbucks employee being told their time with this specific coffee machine was coming to an end, time to start working with a new coffee machine.

I might be wrong, but weren't Chris Latta's characters killed off because the producers thought he was a liability that kept having to be bailed out of jail?

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I've heard that, but have never seen anything official to back it up.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Ditto. If the reasoning behind Chris Latta's characters' deaths is true, though (and that's a big if), Chris seemed to leave the series on good terms. If the producers wanted Chris to leave, they at least liked him enough to ask him to finish out Starscream in one hell of a final performance, and they liked him enough to ask him to return to voice Cobra Commander and Starscream in (at least) 3 episodes by my count. Chris' acting was superb in the movie and Season 3, so it seemed like he was happy to be back. These inferences make me think Chris Latta's characters were written out of the show for nothing more nefarious than the toys going off the shelves, but I guess we'll never know.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I feel they intended or wanted to bring Starscream back on a more regular bases, his toy was re-released with the 86 line up.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't think then they had any clue Transformers would be a success.

20 years ago it's a gig, now it's the best roles of their lives.

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

But you can hear the soft theme in the background, brought the softness out of me when Cullen is saying " 1986 was when i last shot it"