Vista and AVI files

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, May 15, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    okay, i am trying to salvage a pair of old videos and been having problems.
    one video is okay, but the other has an audio sync problem.
    i found a program online that can fix it, but this Sum-bitch Vista is giving me hassles.
    the program requires the video to be converted to .AVI and i did that. but Vista seems not willing to play the video part of those files. i hear audio, but no video and i need both to sync it.
    anyone else got avi problems?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Vista may have some issues, but it shouldn't have any trouble playing AVI files unless there's a codec missing, or the file itself is already broken in some way. Could be the file didn't get converted to AVI correctly.

3. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

From my experience, when ever I have had trouble playing a video fix, its almost always codec related. But if you download a flexible player like VLC and it fails to play it then there is something definitely wrong with the file or your graphics card settings. Also, is it an HD type video file. Sometimes you need a fairly newer computer to play those types of files. System needs a high end graphics card and alot of memory. Also newer chip.

P.S. Vista also has caused me a lot of grief. It might be worth it to go back to XP. Thats what I did and have never looked back.

4. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    just install a big codec pack, it'll have whatever's missing.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Just install the CCCP. That should fix it. If not, I haven't a clue.

6. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Just install the CCCP. That should fix it. If not, I haven't a clue.

I have Vista as well and the only time I've had problems is because of a codec issues. After I installed the CCCP I haven't had a single issue whatsoever. That sumbitch plays eveything.

7. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks guys. i got VLC and it works great. but i needed a single program to play avi's so i could fix a video. i will look up the CCCP and see if that helps too.

8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I love how people constantly blame vista for things that have nothing to do with Vista.

9. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    um, glitchy OS will always mean that software and hardware will always be glitchy.
    I'd rather have XP for the next 10 years and not deal with half the crap Vista deals to me each day.
    and having to install tons more software to fix bugs that should have not been there in the first place is a good reason to complain.
    My Bro-in-law is shopping for a Mac instead of a Vista because of the problems it has.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Come back when you have a better arguement. Baming an OS for your own lack of knoledge about video files and claiming that missing non-default codecs is a bug won't get you taken seriously anywhere, especially considering tha you would have had the exact same problem with the other OS that you say that you'd rather use.

11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Hell.. I remember when "Nothing works on XP and this will be microsofts last OS." arguments where floating around.

Today, more people are trying to blame Vista, then even look at the issue. Even one guy at work, trying to hack his Iphone and we where using my laptop and he was complaining saying vista sucked cause the program wouldn't run.

Well guess what, we tried to run it on the office PC *which runs XP* And GASP.. The program just didn't work.. Period. But instead of even considering that at first.. He wanted to blame vista.

As for the people who complain about drivers, -part- of that is the other companies fault. They knew darn well that Vista was coming and if they didn't try to get the dev kits in time, well thats their fault.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Fail. Vista is actually fairly solid. Find out what you're doing wrong before trashing the OS.

Its really getting on my nerves how people trash Vista. The damn thing runs fine. Its not really Vista's fault that crappy/lazy programmers are developing crappy drivers for the OS. All this anti-Vista propaganda from the tech industry is bogus. I near swear that almost everyone who trashes on Vista has no idea what they're talking about since they apparently have no idea how to update to SP1 and install proper drivers. Its all FUD I tell you!

Also, this was typed in OSX on a Macbook Pro (dual-booted with Vista which works like a champ), so dont go about touting how superior Macs are. Leopard has its own share of problems too.

13. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

For once I agree with you guys. The problem would have been the same Mac or pc. So i do not see it as a valid agrunment for or against vista.

I do feel vista is not quite ready for primetime. But the problem is generaly driver releated. I am typing this on a MacBook with 10.5 and XP installed. I had vista but it was to crash happy. BUT I use boot camp with VM ware which works great with XP, but not with vista. Also vista does not work well with novell either. Neither are vistas fualt, but they are both valid reasons for me to stay with xp.

14. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so, the 360 the best piece of console tech with a terrible 33 percent fail rate? and my vista, which spits out most of the things i plug into it- flash drives, cards, MS software i reinstalled, controllers (am on 4th one and it still is buggy enough to make gaming torture)- has to be the AI from Neuromancer, right?
    i lack programming skills- was pretty darn good at BASIC eons ago, though- or a lot of tech savvy these days, but i understand that something broken and buggy doesn't work and isn't loved.

but just to be fair, i am gonna go buy an edsel or a corvair and give them a chance.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The farmer called, he wants his straw man back.

So four gamepads and multiple flash storage devices don't work properly with your machine and it haden't occured to you that its likely to be a hardware and/or driver issue?

I suggest you complain to your vendor and invoke your warrenty if its something you can't deal with yourself, it'll get you further then sitting around trying to blame Microsoft for probable third party incompetence.

As for issues with your other Microsoft products, they don't maintain support lines and a knowledge base for fun.

Even if any of your above points were actually valid, you pretty much killed any credibility in your understanding strait away by trying to blame an OS for something unrelated and entirely your own fault that would of happened on any other platform.