Visors and Faceplates

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Oct 2, 2017.

?

Are visors...

1. The actual eyes of the character

25.7%
  2. A literal visor like humans have, similar to sunglasses

22.9%
  3. Depends on the character

51.4%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    Just curious about how you guys view these things. Are visors just bigger eyes, or are there regular size eyes hiding underneath? Do all characters with faceplates have mouths underneath, or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

It probably varies. Several characters "originally" visored end up reimagined to have eyes underneath, like movie and RID Jazz. I know ROTF Soundwave has a visor with visible optics behind it. Some probably just have Cylon-like eyes behind the visor, (I think a few BM Vehicons had this) and some probably just have the "visor" itself as one big sensor or a sort of compound eye in the shape of a visor.

Same for faceplates, I imagine. Some characters probably have a speaker embedded in/near the faceplate, and some have a mouth behind them. Even in IDW, where Pipes has eyes behind a retractable visor, he had to open some sort of fuel cap under his faceplate for drinking Energon because he didn't have a mouth.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Compared to Tailgates' purely mechanical optics or IDW Optimus Prime's retractable faceplate, completely agreed. Stole the words right out of my mouth!

[As far as stylistic preferences go, I think I lean towards faceplates not having mouths underneath for the most part, mainly due to Marvel G1 Optimus Prime's damaged appearance after he blew up Unicron.] [Visors on the other hand look better with actual expressive eyes underneath, like the Fort Max and Grimlock of the same book.]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Thank you for this question.
    Vizors ARE eyes.
    Faceplates ARE mouths.
    There is nothing behind them.
    That's always been my stance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NaCl

NaCl Noobie who likes boobies

I saw them as cosmetics similar to TFP Starscream's high heels, since it's shown in IDW that characters like Brainstorm can remove their faceplate. Tailgate is also shown retracting his to eat an energon stick.

6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Depends from the character since there's no thing like standardised engineering in Cybertronians.

Even in IDW continuity some characters have normal faces underneath (Optimus) and some have it as their actual face (Soundwave). Pipes was drawn with eyes behind his visor, but Soundwave had no face visible behind when he was shot by Optimus.

On the other hand, very young Soundwave was drawn with normal mouth... But very likely later was rebuilt (or it was just Ramondelli's inconsistent art, who knows?).

7. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

[​IMG]

EDIT: Seems you've edited your post in response to mine. Guess I should do the same.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yes, but that's fairly recent.

For very long time Soundwave was drawn with literal circuitry behind his damaged mask, parading around with other Cons imprisoned in New Iacon.

So he very likely was rebuilt to having a face.

Of course then you have to take into account that IDW editors might no longer be paying attention to details like this and that the newer generation of IDW artists also isn't up to task of drawing TFs in a detailed way.

Much as I like Pitre-Durocher or Tramontano... They're simply not even remotely as good as Milne, Griffith or Coller.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I kinda like the idea of eyes and mouths being behind them only cause I'm a sick frig who loves battle damage.

10. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

Visors and faceplates.... is it too much to ask for both?

11. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Visors do have eyes underneath. A visor's like a targeting system or a HUD.
    Mouthplates are their own things, because it's shown in IDW that the Combaticons, who mostly have Faceplates and Visors, have eyes and Mouths, whilst in other cybertronians, it's part of their biology (Soundwave).

12. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Updated the poll.

13. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

I have a question: which term is correct, 'faceplates' or 'mouthplates'?

14. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Either or.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't like either. For the most part, they make the characters unrelatable to me. I always felt the G1 Optimus Prime toy looked unheroic with the faceplate and the creepy yellow optics.

Soundwave and Spinister were among the few I didn't mind as it added to their mysteriousness or aloofness. Same with the Vehicon drones in Prime.

I suppose they fit the villains better. Tailgate's G1 face sculpt was sctually one of my favourites but IDW make him look too cartoony and it's not helped that he's such an unlikable character.

Since they're always going to be part of the franchise, I prefer them to be retractable like movie Prime or Dreamwave Brawn.

Much as I'm not fond of them, I'll gladly take them over hair or buck teeth.

16. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I like to believe that under the visor is a pair of optics or under the mouth plate is their actual mouth.

17. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    We got mouthless cyclopes and TV screens and whatever Sky Lynx is, no reason visors and faceplates can't be a bot's actual face.

I usually take things at, er, face value, so I always just assume someone like Soundwave just doesn't have a traditional face. And when he does I'm startled for a moment.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the character and continuity.

Optimus Prime for example I think always had a mouth even when we never see it because his face plate moves when he speaks. There's no reason for it to move if there's no mouth under it.

Wheeljack on the other hand I don't recall his face plate ever moving in G1 so he probably just had a speaker built into the face plate. Same for his Energon/Cybertron look a likes who should of been called Wheeljack instead of Downshift or Cliff jumper in the Energon cartoon. Only the Prime version seems to have a mouth.

As for Visors, I think there are three types. The ones who have normal optics under them. You can see this on some toys where the light piping has two points that glow under a visor. Others have a single Cylon eye which is the visor, mostly Beast Machines Vehicons cause you can clearly see the eye moving across the visor. Others where it's not so clear I think if the visor is never seen as being removable and you can't tell where their pupils are I'd like to imagine they have the Cylon eye but the art style of the cartoon just doesn't make it as obvious as it was in Beast Machines. They could also have two optics but either way some cartoons don't really have a clear indicator of where the pupils are.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It is pretty cool when a character's mouthplate is damaged and you see their real face, like it's serious. GaoGaiGar and Cybertron Optimus both did this.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I initially thought the use of visors and mouth/faceplates was just lazy art or animation. Given the plethora of characters in the TF universe, I have now come to realize that they are there for facial diversity so that the next new bot can be recognized more easily, rather than trying to figure out which one Superman, and which one is Shazam, from the portrait frame alone.

I believe that even without the visors that there are actual eye globes/apparati behind the invariable trapezoids or pentagons that are drawn as "eyes". It makes sense, even if the use of globes, etc., are a rather simple way of defining optics; I can't imagine what seeing TFs "blinking" would look like.