Visiting the TF Armada PS2 game--for the first time. (Reveiw thread)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shotoman, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

When the Armada-based "Transformers" game came out for the PS2, I didn't at the time own the system in question, and so didn't get it. By the time I did finally have the PS2, so many other games I'd been missing out on vyed for my attention it just sorta...fell through the cracks. I recently finally got around to getting it just today, and though this first post is more of a first impressions reveiw, I'll likely add a full reveiw later.

Before we begin, I am acutally quite a fan of Armada. It's not up there with, say, Beast Wars, but it is still among one of my favorite stories in the Transformers line and easily the best of the Unicron Trilogy (in terms of overall story, anyway.)

Anyway, I'd have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the game. The stages are huge, so far, the action is intense, and though the controls are slightly sluggish, it's never so bad as to actually get in the way too much. Transforming is cool, and though I would have liked them to have done more with it--like, say, in the DS movie games--it's still really fun to use the vehicle modes, and while the transformations are simple model swaps--something a lot of fans seem to deride--the tranformation animations themelves are convincing enough to not make it that big an issue.

The one major benefit this game has from using the Armada universe is the Mini-Cons. They are the perfect solution for finding and equiping new power-ups and weapons. Sure, another system could have been thought up for a G1 based game, but the Mini-Cons are still the perfect excuse. And even though I've only barely scratched the surface of the abilities they grant, I like the system already. It all makes for a great action-shooter-platformer all around.

There are a couple of things that bother me as a Transformers fan, though. Not the fact it's based off Armada--seeing as how that was the current line at the time, it makes sense to use it--but rather how its focus is so squarely placed on the first wave, despite being obviously made later. I mean, it does have Tidal Wave and Unicron in it. So, why only give us the Wave One Autobots to use? Another three characters to unlock would have been good, even if they had the same stats as the first three (Say, Scavanger for the strong, heavy guy, Smokescreen for the all around, and Blurr for the fast weak one.) The voice work could've used some work, too--though David Kaye and Gary Chalk do return as Megatron and Prime (I'll admit I fanboy squealed when I heard Kaye's Megatron say "I would have waited an eternity for this.") I totally dig the darker variation of the story however.

Overall, however I am not only pleasantly surprised by the game and its quality, but simply haveing a blast playing it.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Wait till you get the wing minicon. It's so fun.

Tidal Wave is still one of the best boss battles of all time.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

I played this game to death when it came out, beat it on every difficulty level with Prime. Loved every minute of it.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its sweet. needed more city based levels imo, and maybe other 'vehicles' (planes, boats whatever)

regarding there only being 3 characters, somewhere online melbourne released the plans they had for the sequel - it sounded like it was going to be the best game ever, multiplayer, decepticon/autobot missions etc.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And a Story surrounding Vector Sigma.... Atari is so goddamned stupid for dropping Melbourne's plans with this game. I mean, look what activition did with Transformers. Well, at least we have one good Transformers game, thanks to them.

I loved how some of the reviews to the game faulted it for having kinda sluggish controls.... they're robots.... It controlled no more or less sluggish than Mech Assault.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Shortly after this game was released, Melbourne House began work on Transformers: Cybertron. The announcement of this project was actually where we first learned the name of the series after Energon, and before Galaxy Force was revealed.

However, as MH didn't actually have much info or designs to go with at that stage, they were using Energon characters for early conceptualisation. However, shortly thereafter, Atari cancelled the project due to lower-than-expected sales for Armada.

A year later, Hasbro bought back the Transformers game license (among others) from Atari. Fans proceeded to immediately blame Hasbro for the cancellation of the Cybertron game, because SURELY it's Hasbro's fault.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Both Atari and Melbourne House were great companies to talk to and work with to promote the game. The company they used, Electric Artists, were wonderfully nice and helpful. When MH was going under, I sent them an email wishing them well. They were a really talented studio who knew how to handle a licensed game.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They promoted the game well, with a theme song, a band, and a kick-ass web site (That transformed and all), and then the game itself showed a level of attention that only comes from people who care, and extras that didn't even need to be there, but were, on top of that the rendered cinematics were very sharp and high-quality. I hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but bourne probably gave us the best Transformer game we'll ever see, and we never got to see multiplayer with that awesome engine. I still think the Jungle level (first stage) is one of the best looking things on the PS2. We used to jokingly accuse them of releasing prerendered shots to the press, and say, "What do these guys think they are working on, a next gen game"

Especially when shots like these were released with such a detailed background...
    http://ps2.ign.com/dor/objects/567186/transformers/images/transformers_092303_16.html

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Just to add, Megatron is this game goes down like a badass.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

it does sadden me to think we'll most likely never see a tf game surpass this one.

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I'll admit, this game is *the* reason why I bought a PS2. Well, I actually bought the PS2 shortly after hearing the first tidbits of news about this, so I acutally ended up getting the console a good 2 years before the TF Armada game release.

I'll echo the sentiment of everyone else in the thead - it's the quintessential Transformers game. Everything else is sub-par next to this.

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    To this day, I still have the Demo disc that was given to me. It was never publicly released, though I gave some away at the second (I believe) Cybercon. that Cybercon was only the second or third time the public got to play the game. Those 2 TV's were packed the whole time. Great times.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I had a buddy, who worked at Gamestop, give me the store demo, since he had two. I played that demo more than I played some full games, just oogling at the graphics and transforming Hotshot back and forth.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i played it, rented, when it came out and i loved it. i JUST found one at a gamestop (lol nobody would trade those in cause this game is so good)

tidal wave will always be my favorite level/boss in a game i ever played lol

15. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The overall gameplay elements are great & I still have a lot of fun with this.

But its still kinda shocking that there's almost no reason to transform. In a Transformers based game!1!!!!

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well the main reason, really, is speed. Running isn't that effective to evade some of the enemies, especially later in the game. Also, you can't make many of the gaps without being in vehicle mode. The transforming was much more useful in Armada than it was the movie game.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely used the Transform, especially in the higher difficulties, you needed to shoot, run, transform get the hell out of there, and repeat. Transforming was a good way to get out of a futile situation, and if you took out a baddy on your way out, then all the better.

Since we're on it, who did you guys like to use? I liked Hotshot and Red alert. Prime kicked ass but was too slow. I found Red to be a great balance because the game was mostly outdoors so he handled the terrain while maintaining speed.

18. Nemesis Prime I

Nemesis Prime I Nemesis Prime Transforms!

I Still play Transformers was First Time, got Minicons collect. After loss my CD I pick my Video Game it Transformers The Game.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I always went with Red Alert. Nothing was more satisfying than jumping over a drone, transforming and crushing it.

20. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

Okay, I just fought Tidal Wave....my brain broke from sheer awesomeness. I mean, I recognised his vehicle mode right away, so I knew "Aw crap the STAGE is gonna be the boss..." Then he transfromed and I looked up...and up...and up...

He's one of biggest fully animated bosses on the PS2 and easily the biggest one to actually be put in a true stage (Ursula and Chernabog in the first Kingdom Hearts, for example, are HUGE but are fought in endless mist areas to accomodate that.) How did these guys put SOOO much graphical...awesomeness in a PS2 game? Even now it's easily one of the top 5 prettiest games on the system, and its 5 years old...and a lisence game, to boot.

I'm one of those guys who uses characters based on how much I like the character more than their usefulness in battle, so I used Red Alert, like, once, and I use Hot Shot a lot till things get tougher. Then I use Prime. I'll probably use Prime for most of the rest of the game. Those extra two Mini-Con power slots are gonna prove essential soon...

Oh, and the ONLY way to begin a fight with a goup of Decepticlones is to drive your vehicle mode through the middle of it :)