Visit to NYC: Transformers recommendation?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jayhan, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jayhan

Jayhan Heatbreaker

Hey everybody! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here, so I apologize in advance.
    I'll be headed out to New York City with my family, and I was wondering if someone could recommend me anything Transformers-related.
    I'm basically trying to find some good toys, great comic books, or any Transformers memorabilia or items, but I'm not entirely sure which is best... You see, in my country, Switzerland, a Transformers: Prime Wheeljack toy alone costs about $30. No joke. My country, despite its goodness, is a greedy pile of slagheap, so you can understand why I'm posting this.
    Anyone from NYC or a collector or an American Transfan who could recommend me something?
    Thanks for reading, take care,
    Jayhan

2. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Go to target

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This or TRU. But it's NYC so u will still pay $30 for Jackie. silly out of towners.

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Well she could always go to the hood for some "local discounts" ;) ! Excercise caution though, and good luck with that! On a more serious note, would pricing be any better in suburbs? Never been there.

5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, used to be but lately TRU has been marking stuff up to Manhattan prices.

6. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

Fill the gaps in your collection oh wait you said NYC

7. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to Target first, and use TRU as a last resort. TRUs in general tend to be more expensive, and NYC ones (or at least the one in Times Square) are even worse.

8. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

9. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Assuming she's staying in Manhattan, are there any Target's on the actual island? I know K-Mart is there, but I never see Target.

10. Jayhan

Jayhan Heatbreaker

Hey guys, thanks for your advice and recommebdations! I'm actually staying at New Jersey, Fort Lee, and I've already done some awesome shopping (bought several TF toys at Target, actually). I might return there to buy a TF dvd.
    It's true, Manhattan is a lil pricey, but still cheaper than in Switzerland... AND comic books are rare in my country, TF comics are practically non existent.
    So yeah, I'm having a blast. Still a couple more days till I'm going back home, but I'm gonna make sure I'll have no more money left. ;P

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could try Chinatown. Last time I was there, there were stores with imports as well as US released figures. Again, more expensive then a non-NYC store but much cheaper then Switzerland prices.

12. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

New York's hoods are looking more like Greenwich Village these days with all the hipsters from other States moving into them and feeding the local economy with their insatiable drug habits. I got most of my Transformers from Chinatown in the 80's, cheap. Those days are done, NY has changed. I just hope these out of town freaks don't bring their fucking Wal Marts with them.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    THIS. Chinatown used to be really awesome for TFs. Even like 5 - 10 years ago, you could get things like Beast Wars imports cheapo. Everything is gone now. Bet those shop keepers got an ebay account. :/

14. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

but that store is just so kool
    The even ,some times, sell older TF's or Japan exclusives.I bought a Flash Leo Convoy at that store over 10 years ago.

there used to be a store on MOTT street named "Wa Kue" that always had awsome tf's and other imported toys

Althou, about 4 years sago I went to CTNYC on a visit, fouds a store, 32 MOTT st if I'm right, still had imports like Binetect, Kiss players and plenty Gundums.

If you go, stop at 174 Mott street for the best Fried Dumplings ever.The place looks like a hole in the wall being underground, but its the best food in all of China town, imo.

Speeking underground,China town has an underground mall that was once a good place to pick up TF's Voltrons and other stuff.

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

As a native New Yorker, definitely try Midtown Comics-- your best bet is the Times Square location, as I think it's the biggest, and it has two floors. They have Transformer toys on the second floor, and the last time I went (2-3 weeks ago), they had both Generations and TFP Wheeljacks. If you open an account (which is free--they only take your name and birthday) and spend $100, your next $20 is on them. I'm not sure if this only applies to comic books or toys too, but it's definitely a great deal.

Another bet is Forbidden Planet in Union Sq. They occasionally have some great toys. A few years ago, they were selling Omega Supremes and Sky Lynxes, but I think generally their toy selection is limited.

Toy Tokyo in the east village is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Every time I've been there, they have a toy that's worth buying. Toy Tokyo - East Village - New York, NY

Toys R Us in Times Sq. is pretty limited, but the prices aren't marked up heavily. There may be a Target/Walmart in Harlem or Brooklyn, but I'm not too sure. I'd suggest doing a store search on those sites.

Hope this helps!

16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is. It's definitely worth a visit to see the store itself (bring a camera), you just won't find good prices there.