Virus Stories

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scarecrow, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I cant remember the last time I had a virus/spyware... i think it was with win95... and it wasnt my fault (was my dad's)

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Not really a virus story, more like spyware, but a few years back I once had a browser hijack where it would redirect every single site I'd ever visit to some sleazy-looking search engine called "Cool Web Search.com". Couldn't go anywhere but Cool Web Search. :( 

That took me an afternoon to get rid of it.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Windows Fix-It is a good program.

4. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Go on this site for crappy flash games and I acidentally downloaded a trojan/Malware thing that was called 'My Security Engine'. The Trojan shuts down your internet and bogs down your system. Had to enlist the support of my older brothers laptop to access the internet, stop all the process associated with My Security Engine, download MalwareBytes (Awesome Program for pesky malware, BTW). Finally stopped IT. Also recommend AVG, We've only got the free version.

5. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hey guys, use CCleaner everytime, or before you shut down your pc, it's a good maintenance program it can also fix some registry issues, so far I don't have a virus story, I use Avast 4.8 Professional, avoid clicking on those websites that have shitty advertisement.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    never had a bad virus problem.

I had a motherboard fail in a really strange way that made me think it was a virus though.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ^^ this.

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    CWS is an absolute bastard piece of spy/adware to get rid of. :(  Had to remove it from a friend's PC once, that was a fun few hours.

As for viruses in general, in 2003 I had one that spread to XP machines using the RPCSS vulnerability, whereby the virus could install itself itself on PCs by sending itself to random IP addresses - this virus spread like wildfire and infected a vast number machines within seconds of being released into the wild, before Microsoft got to grips with automatic updates. Touch wood, that's been it.

A quick fix was soon released by Symantec and other vendors, and the vulnerability was soon patched.

A combination of installing the latest updates, AVG9.0, and avoiding dodgy sites keeps everything running smoothly. :D 

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

Today I came home from work to see that my computer had been tampered with. I WAS LOGGED OUT. My brother tells me he did it by accident, and something sounded fishy. So I log on and the fucking thing pops up, "Red Cross Antivirus". I'm thinking what the hell, I didn't download this shit! So it runs this bs scan and tells me all kinds of things are infected. So quickly I grab my Itouch and do some research, since this malware blocks the use of all web browsers, plus my system tools. Turns out it's some crap that comes with a trojan, bla bla bla. So I put my computer in safe mode, and try to use my system tools again (I planned on doing a system restore here soon). It friggen blocks it! So i'm thinking i'm totally screwed, until I read a little deeper online. All I had to do was run my Malwarebytes, and it fixed it, but i'm still not 100 percent positive everything is fixed, so tonight, I restore my computer to factory default. Wish me luck everyone.

11. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, I just made about the stupidest mistake I've made in a long time. This pop up comes out of now where and tells me my computer has dectected trojans and malware. Now, I know how easily those things can screw up your computer, and I began to get a bit freaked out. But, at the bottom of the pop-up, there was a button that said "Clean computer" or something like that. I clicked it, and it said I had to install some crap. I hesitated, wondering if it was a good idea, but it started blaring again about how my computer had so much malware and trojans, and installed it.

You all probably realise that I couldn't have done anything stupider, and you're right because my "helpful software" was a virus. Anybody else heard of Security Shield? If it ever pops up on your computer, exit out of that thing immediately.

I'm researching online right now how to get rid of the thing, my free AVG wasn't strong enough. The thing will try to crash your computer. I've had the blue screen of death apear twice, yet my computer continues to function. Anybody else had problems with Security Sheild?

12. John_Force

News Credits:
    AutobotSkids, have you ran Malwarebytes?
    Also, try and run a program that stops all process associated with this Security Shield.
    My computer, a couple of months ago, was brought down by the My Security Engine trojan virus. Luckily, I was able to clean my computer up with no loss of data.

13. AutobotSkids

Thanks RIDUltraMagnus, I'll see if that works. I remember from a few websites a list of security programs that were recommended to clean the computer that were known to get rid of the virus, and malwarebytes was on it! I might have to try this if the manual methods don't work, because I'd rather try the manual methods first before having to pay for a whole new security system.

I've had AVG run two security tests, the last of which came up clean, and I've restarted the computer. I'll see if it's still there...

14. John_Force

News Credits:
    Best thing to do is load malwarebytes on a memory stick and download it onto the infected computer, as some virus's block the internet from opening.

15. AutobotSkids

AVG did it! I started my laptop up and saw the thing had disappeared from my toolbar and wasn't popping up! I don't need the malwarebytes! Thanks for the info on Malwarebytes, it sounds like a very reliable program that'll come handy in the future.

Man though, there's a whole website where unsuspecting people can become victims by downloading this thing. Depressing isn't it? There was actually abutton that would direct you to an application where you would enter your creditcard information into to "purchase" the "software". It's horrible...

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I worked as a computer tech for 2 years in college and my favorite virus was "XP POLICE". :lol 

Basically, you would turn on the computer and "A TROJAN VIRUS HAS INFECTED YOUR COMPUTER. PLEASE PAY 49.99 AND WE WILL SCRUB THE VIRUS CLEAN"

Funny stuff, all you had to do was uninstall the program and it was gone. Loved the set up, they even took paypal:lol .

17. AutobotSkids

:lolol  That's fantastic. Although, I'm probably not one to talk considering the ordeal I just went through. :lol 

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Not sure it was a virus more like malware or in this casei call it extortionware.

Those damn programs pretending to be anti virus programs, ran afoul of 3 different ones. none of which was due to downloading anything. The first i was able to purge with out too much trouble the other two basically locked down everything but the program itself, could not even bring up the Windows task manager or even shut down my PC properly.

Had no choice but to reformat my hard drive to be rid of it both times . my current pc is at least 5 years old and as such any anti virus software slows it way the hell down so i just use common sense and don't open any unsolicited emails from any one or any site i don't know. I am intending to purchase a new pc or laptop next year , finances allowing. that one will get anti virus put on it asap as to prevent any issues from ever occurring.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I would still run Malwarebytes just in case. Alot of time, regular antivirus won't get rid of viruses like this/

Working in tech support myself, I see this stuff all the time.

Here's a list of known fake antivirus programs
    List of rogue security software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20. AutobotSkids

Ok, I'll try it.

Disgusting isn't it?