Virus Creators Suck! Can Someone Help me Out Please !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Nov 7, 2008.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I woke up today and went downstairs, checked my mail and found a package there waiting.. It was one of my grails , MISB Alt Nemesis Prime. I was a happy camper.. I been after this figure since he came out..

So i headed back upstairs to log onto the site and let the person i bought him from know it arrived.. I turned on my laptop and it starts up, it gets to the windows screen and then nothing... The screen goes black as if its waiting for the page to load.. so i let it sit.............nothing happens........... let it sit some more........nothing.

So i restart it and try and start with safe mode........nothing, every version of safe mode, restart point ect none of it worked.. So i called my buddy for help, he tells me it sounds like i got some kind of virus.. Of course i cant scan for it becuase the PC is locked up .. So He told me to put my windows xp cd in and see if that helps.......nothing.

So he tell me to reinstall just the windows program. He told me all my files and stuff would stay and it would just reinstall the windows program .. So he walks me through it over the phone . Windows installs fine in like 15min. I restart and it starts up fine and takes me to a empty desktop with just a damn trash bin sitting there..

I was like WTF. my buddy told me all my programs should still be on my PC but i dont see a damn thing.. I believe they are still on there because i checked my memory and its telling me i got 10gig free from a 40gig drive. no way windows is 30 gigs lol .

This hard drive had everything on it. I design repro boxes and all my designs on on there, all my box art, pictures , everyyyyyyyyyyything is on that HD..:banghead: 

Does anyone know how to locate the programs and folders that were on my HD before i reinstalled the Windows XP program ? I know they didnt get deleted because when i do a format it takes over an hour for it to format and reinstall everything.. All my stuff is still on here locked up someplace i think .

Anyone know how to locate it and retrieve it ? If i cant figure it out im going to have to format it and lose it all for sure...
    If you can help me out please post in here or PMing me may be better .
    Thanks in advance.

-Curt

2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Search for 'all files and folders' in the trash bin.

3. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    trash bin is empty. i searched the entire C drive as well for pics, folder names , ect and only found 1 folder that had some of my pics on it. I had almost 3 gig of pictures and designs. They got to still be on there cause like i said there is 30gig of the hd being used up on something ..

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Strange one. Sounds like the folders are still there but hidden. Have you tried typing in the address path of one of the directories in explorer (like C:\PrimulArchangel or whatever)?

It might also be that the reinstall somehow shunted your files to another partition or something. Not sure exactly how to get at it from there if that were the case though, but that could explain why the things are gone.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:

Look for a folder called "windows/old" (or something similar) under the C drive. Sometimes you can find your old info in there. If that doesn't work... well, I got nothing else, I'm not very computer savvy.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If you can't find your old Windows files by browsing within Windows, you may want to try a live disc, like Ubuntu Linux's: Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Burn the downloaded iso to a disc and reboot your computer from the CD. You'll be given an operating system on a disc that will allow you to browse around, hopefully find your files and place them where you want them. If you go this route, just don't install Ubuntu (when running off the live disc), as this will completely hose Windows.

7. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Oh that is not true. Installing Ubuntu will not hose your Windows install. It can easily be set to duel boot both Windows and Ubuntu. And then you never have to worry about viruses on the Ubuntu partition.

8. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    This is true, and how I have my system set up. But going from the POV of a Windows user content with their OS, I'm not going recommend upgrading to Linux unless they know what they're doing. :wink: 

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

One of us will send the message to him if you want

Happened to me a few times, was like Sh*t, now the dude's going to think im a dick

10. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

ever try recovery programs? Dunno if they'll work in this case, but GetDataBack for NTFS has saved my butt time and again.

11. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually tried two of those so far and both want me to buy them before they will let me recover anything. Sucks too because both of them scaned for hours, so it was pretty much a waste of time lol. Is the one you are talking about a free program ? Ill have to look it up and see .

12. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HUH:inquisiti 

13. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why was my signature removed now ? Its been this same size since i joined over a year ago and was told it was fine , why was it removed now.. That was a pain in the butt getting that to be a clickable link. You could have PMed me and told me to resize it and not just delete it on me. geeze man that aint right.

And now i cant even put it back because that banner was lost on my HD , gee thanks alot . Days getting better by the minute.

14. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Did you keep a backup of your stuff (pics, box art) on a USB drive/key or burnt CD/DVD? If so, keeping backups of your pics and projects in case might be useful.

15. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah some of its backed up on cd, but not all of it. I had just gotten a new external HD to do that with but didnt transfer it , was actually planing on doing that today because i had 3 new boxes on there that i needed to make. I usually back them up after i make a few boxes. But guess i was too little too late on this one.. I have spent all day long trying to locate files and using recovery programs and such . Nothing is working.. At this point im ready to say screw it and format the entire thing and call it a loss.. I dont have the money to have someone look at this for me, id like to beat my buddy over the head a few times with the laptop for telling me to install windows again. Last time i take help from him .

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Virus, spyware and malware writers should be skinned alive and tossed into vat of saltwater.

17. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AMEN.. They are noting but scum and get off on causing other trouble. Id love to meet one , id bust his fingers for him. I been pulling my hair out for 2 days now just trying to recover what i can.

18. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    Although in your case, I'm skeptical it was a virus. More like your disc's boot sector got corrupted or something. How old is your computer (or just your hard drive?)?

19. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My laptop is about 5 years old, but it sat unused for about 4 of those years.. I got it from a brother of a guy that worked with me.. His brother bought it brand new and then broke the power adaptor on it.. He thought he fried the mother board because it wouldnt fire up. So i asked him if i could have it and use the case to build a new one.. when i got it home i ordered a power cord on ebay for it and got it in the mail and i pluged it in and it worked fine. It was pretty much a brand new PC that had nothing on it at all , just a few programs he used for work. I told him about it and he just told me to keep it since he had gotten a new one lol..

But anyways it was a virus . I scaned for it this morning just for the hell of it and it was still on the HD. I got ahold of my buddy online and he asked me the name of it and he did a search for it.. He said it was a virus that is made to just cause headaches like it did.. First it uses up all your virtual memory in a matter of minutes and then when you go to restart the PC it freezes it up and dont let you startup..

Thats exactly what happened to me . The night before my virtual memory got all used up but i thought it was because of my photoshop program, so i kept on working for like an hour after taht and then just shut down for the night.. The next day i went to fire it up and it wouldnt get past the windows screen..

I finally found a program called " Recover My Files" that can recover some of my lost files, i got them all transfering to my external HD now. Im hoping that all my box designs are there.. Sucks though i still lost all of my Links and such. It can scan for them as well, maybe ill take a shot and see what i can get from it..

20. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Find the person who created the virus, chop his balls off, and nail them above your front door. You know, let him off with a warning.