VIRTUAL-ON: Figures & Model Kits

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by netkid, Mar 28, 2009.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Anyone have them? I always remember seeing the figures way back in EB Games and Babbages stores. This is like way back, mid to late 90's. I heard that the ones from the second game made by Kaiyodo weren't that great of quality wise and would break very easily. I don't know how durable the figures are from the first game. Kotobukiya then made small blind-boxed trading figures of the first game's characters.

The Model Kits however, always seemed pretty cool. WAVE made them and then Hasegawa & Kotobukiya made more high end kits. There were some resin kits as well. WAVE made kits from the first and second games, while Hasegawa made kits from VR-on: MARZ, and Kotobukiya has made kits from all the Virtual-On games. WAVE made simple kits and them a bit more detailed kits of the same characters and sometimes kits of other versions or variants (Temjin's and Raiden's come to mind). WAVE also made model kit 2-packs which featured both Player 1 and Player 2 versions of each character. I remember seeing some places having them for sale, but they were only at overseas online retailers. Nowhere domestic.

So anyways, while browsing Kotobukiya's website the other day I stumbled upon this:

KOTOBUKIYA VIRTUAL-ON PLASTIC MODEL SERIES WEB SITE - 1/100 MBV-04-G??????Ver.1P?

^The original Temjin is my favorite one from the games since I would always play as him against my older brother when we played the game way back at the arcades. Back then, playing the game as a young boy and being able to actually sit inside a cockpit and man the controls of a giant robot blew me away. Even if my brother kicked my ass it was still fun just to be in that little box manning the controls. Add in some childhood imagination and you'd have yourself a grand ol' time.

So my main questions are,

When will this kit be released?

How much will it cost?

Where can I buy it Domestically? I tried BBTS, they don't carry it.

Thanks,

-Netkid

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Comes out this month... Retails for 5040 yen. Try Hlj.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
  4. netkid

News Credits:
    Temjin and Raiden are molded in colored plastic and look just like the finished kits when completed except for only no black panel lines.

However, I heard that Specineff will require painting other than just simple black panel lining, is this true?

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Kotobukiya are masters of obsessive-compulsive parts breakdowns that require the least amount of paint possible (and more tiny pieces than you can shake an exacto-knife at). I'll bet you that Specineff will look just fine without a drop of paint.

6. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

I'll put a couple of pictures that I may have shown before but since its the thread for it... ^^

[​IMG]

I opened her up from the box, but yeah. :) 
    [​IMG]

(I need to sew her skirt yet...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got a couple of kotobukiya's one-coin trading figures.

8. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

9. netkid

News Credits:
    That's the original Temjin action figure!

But I don't know how the quality/durability on those are. I know the figures from the second game broke very easily. I just want a figure that I can pose and it wont break on me for just doing that. I'm not rough with my toys at all.

And yeah, $27 does seem a bit pricey. I'd feel more happy with getting it for $15 or less.

I'll wait and see if any others show up at a lower price. Thanks though.

10. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I have an Apharmd figure here on my desk at work, always liked that one (and it was my favorite to play in the game). I also have a Temjin "player 2" figure somewhere. For some reason the Temjin figure didn't seem to be as high quality as the Apharmd.

I want to say I might have gotten these at HLJ back in the day.

11. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

I found it and bought it at $15 total.

Maybe I am used to today's standard of toys, maybe my lack of knowledge on the background of this toy, or that mines is of bad quality in my point of view, but I just hate it.

I don't know; I think the figure is more of a display figure rather than a toy. Very pointy blade stab me. Weapon has a peg so it only securely fits in the right hand, it can go in the left but it's loose. Articulation, give that it's made in '97, is not bad, but I am spoiled. Think of this as a star wars toys with swivel and a little ball joint connectors here and there. The plastic seems like one of those hard model kit plastic from back in the day and you can tell that it's very hollow, unlike the gundam action figures which are solid pieces. I am not sure if this is just mines but quality of paint on it sucks (likes hasbro sucky) and I think from being in storage too long the right knee leg won't bend. I know it can bend since the other leg does but I am afraid to put too much force on it and break it. I think I am going to try the steam method to try to loosen it up. It comes with a cdplayer that can attach to his back. I didn't put it in, since it seems like one of those really tight pegholes that if you put it in, don't expect it to come out in one piece. I have to say it's nifty and the cd can fit in it but there's no locking mechanism to lock, but the peg keeps the cd from fall out. There's a trading card that comes with it too.

But it looks very nice, so I am not sure. I say if you can get it moderately cheap and use for display than I say go for it if you love it and know it. Otherwise, pass on it. Otherwise, it's pretty basic. I really felt that it could been better executed.

I read up and this is the first version in the game, not the upgraded version in the sequels.

Anyways, I can give him if anyone wants him at cost, $15 shipped.

I would get him if there's another version of him but updated to standards of today and better paint and better choice of plastic.

12. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Man I used to love VO:OT on my Dreamcast back in 2000. Great times for gaming!

I miss your consoles, Sega

13. netkid

News Credits:
    Whew! Dodged that bullet!

I think I'll just buy the new Kotobukiya Temjin model kit that I talked about in my first post. That thing is superb.

^Plus the way it's made with all the parts already molded to color, I can just buy another one, paint the parts, put it together and have his Player-2 colored version as well.

14. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone have any experience with the old Kotobukiya Trading Figure set from a while back?

[​IMG]

15. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I havent got any of those trading figures but I wouldnt mind getting some.

16. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I happened to notice I have unassembled 1/144 kits of Temjin and Viper by Wave.

I played VO in the arcade only (and only saw the sequel once, on vacation). I couldn't get into the Dreamcast version because of the controls. It would have worked a lot better with a 2-stick control like a PS2 or Xbox controller has. Did they ever make that sort of controller for the DC?

17. netkid

News Credits:
    They DID make the original arcade controls for the Dreamcast. It's just that they are very hard to find and usually fetch $70 a piece.

http://www.myds.com.au/img/contents/01full.jpg

Try eBay.

18. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

I have some VO figures stashed in a box somewhere.

My favorite were the two Camo bots with the knives, rocket launchers, etc. I also like the temjin with clear orange parts .

I really liked them when i first got them... but now... meh. :p 

19. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Jeez $70 for a controller for a dead system? Nah I will pass but I do appreciate the info.

20. netkid

News Credits:
    Well, that was when I last checked...a year ago.

With the way things are now, I wouldn't be surprised if people are just trying to get rid of stuff. So it might be cheaper to buy now. It's worth a look.