Violence in Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Zoneism, Aug 21, 2017.

?

was there any violence that was too graphic for a kid show?

1. yes

2. no

3. maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zoneism

Zoneism Zoomism

I'm a newbie and I was wondering if there was anY violence in transformers cartoons?
    What I mean by that is wsa there any real world violence like wars fought from human againts human, or guns being shown on screen like mp40s and stukas, etc. I really appreciate your answer todau.
    Thanks

2. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    I mean there are guns (it's a war between alien robots). But I wouldn't say that's violent. Characters die if that's a problem for you

3. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which series are you talking about?

There was definitely violence in all Transformers cartoons, including Rescue Bots!
    They all have humans vs. humans or robots, show definite aggression, and usually have guns & blasters to start off with.

As for real world violence, G1 showed a human war from the past although the human drivers were not shown. They also had other humanoid species fighting each other.

So yes, all Transformers cartoons are violent, but they are still great shows as long as the age level is appropriate.
    Which brings us to your original poll:
    Depends on the age level of the show.
    I think the G1 cartoon was not too graphic for 10 year olds. It's a great show.
    But 5 year olds? Definitely.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zoneism

Zoneism Zoomism

I'm not completely sure about the series or whta series since I am still new to this hobby. I've only seen the old transformers movie where the planet thing unicron eats other planets, and all the bay movies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Transformers always had a lot of crap getting past the radar because it was about robots hurting robots. Bots tearing other bots apart, bots driving their punches through the other bots chests, bots getting blown to pieces. But it was all metal and circuitry so the realisation what's going on wasn't something obvious.

Now imagine those G1 cartoons and comic books were about humans...

You'd get something along the lines of Simon Bisley drawing Lobo.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jumbosaber

jumbosaber Walking Talking Jumbo Jet

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    was there violence? yes. its about a robot war. was it too graphic for a kids show? eh... not really.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wait, is german ww2 tech inherently more violent than other planes and guns for some reason?

To answer your question, the films might get a little graphic for young kids, with robotic dismemberments, humans getting vaporized or otherwise killed, and 'realistic' violence. Similarly, the graphic deaths in the 1986 animated film were too much for some kids.

However, most of the television shows have fairly sanitized violence, with few consequences outside of nameless, "soulless" robotic drones and incidental characters. The g1 animated series had especially lighthearted and cartoony violence, with punches that landed with a "BONK" and laser blasts that didn't seem to do much other than mildly injure their targets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

In regards to G1, humans did fight along with Transformers, but were never directly shot, and certainly not killed. When any did get injured, it was not graphic.

Transformers did get away with a slightly higher level of violence than other cartoons because they were just robots, not humans. Rules for children's television prohibited He-Man from ever punching another character on the show, but robots punching each other subverted that. This was still kept at a level to not be gratuitous, and characters didn't die, except for the PG rated movie. I don't recall much being cut from the movie when it was split into episodes for broadcast other than the swear words.

9. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    If it was too much for kids, it wouldn't have been put on the air.

(Inb4 someone says this isn't a catch-all. No shit. It's just a general idea.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loxobot1221

Loxobot1221 Lovin' it

YouTube:
    This depends a lot.
    Transformers media is pretty much always squeamish on human death, when it happens in some of the darker stuff it's never really graphic. As for Transformer on Transformer action...
    The eighties cartoon (excluding the movie) and the 2015 RID are extremely mild. Transformers Animated is more intense, but still not that graphic.
    TF Prime is quite violent and brutal at times, but not excessively.
    The IDW comics (particularly MTMTE and LSOTW) and the live-action films are extremely violent and graphic.

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    It's a show about war. Offcourse it has violence.
    What i protest against is when heroes commit calous violence against comic relief characters.
    Like when Optimal Optimus squated Waspinator or when Cybertron Optimus blasted Ransack and Crumplezone.
    That's the kind of shit that should be done only by evil characters.

• Like Like x 3
  12. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The guy that taught Megatron everything he knows TFW2005 Supporter

About the most violent scene in one of the cartoons, to me anyway, was in the 'Nemesis' episodes from Beast Wars. When Megatron was attacking the pre-humans. There's a shot of one of the apemen dragging another to safety. But I was never sure if he was just injured or was actually dead. That was pretty graphic for the fact that Megatron was shooting at people(pre-people, but people all the same). Especially for the petty reason he was doing it for, revenge, which in turn made Dinobot do the right thing and fought for the ape people. In what was a brutal fight in and of itself. IMO.

13. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    "Was there violence?"
    WAS THERE FREAKING VIOLENCE?!

We are talking about a FREAKING WAR here!!!!

was it to graphic?

Oh there were plenty of moments where it was a little graphic for little 7 year old me. Let me think....

Generation 1 The Movie
    Deaths in general for any TF Verse
    Unicron Battle in Armada
    Red Alert, Scattershot, Hot Shot sacrifice and rebirth in Cybertron
    Bay.
    Movieverse 2007 Game
    ROTF Game
    DOTM game
    IDW in general.
    How Prime handled some of it's deaths. (Cliff, Dreadwing, Brakedown)
    Human death in Prime (Silas)
    Human death in general

I'm outta ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  14. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I'd say Transformers isn't too violent, for the most part. It's rare to see humans die or any real human wars. Of course, there's always going to be some violence and occasionally a show will kill off a robot, for dramatic effect, but its rare to see anything super violent. Here's some notably violent bits of Transformers fiction.

The Generation 1 movie from 86 killed off quite a few robot characters, quite callously.

Beast Wars cartoon, by time it was over, killed off about half of its robot characters, although many of those were in the last three episodes. Most of its run is quite kid friendly. A couple of episodes feature some of our ape ancestors dying, though not in a graphic way.

IDW's Generation 1 comics are aimed more towards adults and do get quite violent.

The live action movies are aimed more at teenagers and are extremely violent and I'd say number 5, 4 and maybe 3 aren't suitable for small children. Of course, it really depends on each child's ability to handle violence.

Transformers Prime cartoon tried to push boundaries for what could be shown in a kids show. A lot of killing of lookalike background robots, sometimes done casually, sometimes played up for the drama. A lot of lead robot villains die. Some episodes had a lot of implied, though unconfirmed, human deaths through impacts and some definite human deaths in exploding vehicles, where you can't see the drivers/pilots. One human outright dies onscreen, though not in a gory way.

I think there's also some other comics and novels that are aimed more towards adults that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You're not going to see humans shooting each other and bleeding in the cartoons, if that's what you're worried about. The original series (a.k.a. the "G1" cartoon) did have some realistic looking guns (including Megatron, who was a Walther P-38!) but they all fired lasers instead of bullets.

All of the "graphic" violence is robot-against-robot. Limbs get blown off, characters get holes shot through them, melted down, etc. But even then it's rare. Most of the violence is pretty tame, even between robots.

16. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If only that were true.

• Like Like x 1
  17. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen all of them, but I can't imagine there would be too much violence in any of the cartoons. And it's not like that's needed nearly as much as characterization, world-building, & storytelling.

18. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

In the Headmasters series, the Decepticons kill entire crowds of humans with laser blasts. In one episode, a Battle Beast gets blasted by Weird Wolf and you see the blast shoot straight through his chest. In Masterforce, Wilder (Fangry), kicks the crap out of a dude. He clocks him and blood goes flying.

19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Did we forget about "Autobot Spike"?

20. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Not to mention Sixshot's campaign of psychological torture against Chromedome in Headmasters, three straight episodes of children in distress as Autobot Base explodes in Masterforce, Zarak's campaign of violence against the Earth in general, and the fact that if you're a human sidekick not named Daniel your parents are as good as dead.

And the Jack Boys gang lived by its own rules. Apparently rule #1 is don't lose your turf to a gang with an even dumber name. Chris had it coming.