Customs: Vinyl Dye Questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ErechOveraker, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Anybody with experience using this stuff want to share? Limits? Problems? Pro's and con's?

I'm contemplating trying some out on a project, and want to know what I would be getting myself into with it, or if it's even worth it at all.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Oh geez, I didn't even see that thread there, I'm a dummy.

The dense plastics were what I was thinking about using this for, but if it's a no go...

Thanks!

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, its stuff like hinges, ball joints, etc... that are the dense plastic that these dyes just won't penetrate, at least at room temp.

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use something similar from a company called colorbond. It is the beezneez, never had a problem with anything not sticking as long as you prepare(I soak my figs in 91% alcohol and spray a little adhesion promoter) Stuff is basically like fusion(I think better) sans the waiting for the 7 days to cure crap after an hour I can paint and seal with no adverse effects. Love it to death, only gripe is it coast 15 a can.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    regular dye works just fine on joints, its the harder stuff like fists and things that you'd want to try to use the vinyl dye stuffs on. shame you can just do whatever ya want, eh? lol

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I used to use the Colorbond back when it was called Molecubond... It was incredible stuff -- It was the one way I found to make black plastic totally indistinguishably white. I dunno what they changed since the name shift, but Bryndana isn't cooking it up the same way they used to.

I used to be able to not only spray it like magicial color changing miracle liquid, but also squirt some into a cup and actually paint with it like a paintbrush to accomplish the same deep dye penetration effect (Without any visible difference to the surface texture) .. Alas, all the cans of the new stuff I've bought don't act the same way. (to my lasting disappointment)

I'm considering checking out the SEM dyes, but I'm not sure how well they work...I don't want another coating, I want an honest-to-god plastic dye. :(