Customs: vinyl dye, a couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by chugway, Feb 19, 2010.

1. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

I've been reading about vinyl dye on here, and there was some great stuff but even after having a search I'm still uncertain about a couple of things..

Will it kill that nasty bendy grey plastic (specifically unicron's wings) because I read that it had melted certain types of plastic, and I didn't want to boil-dye the wings for shaping reasons. What type of plastic is it anyway?

And now people have been using it for a while is there a consensus on which brands produce the best results?

Oh, and hello! 1st radicons post and all that.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There are dyes and paints, both work on the same principle of softening up the plastic underneath.

It won't stick to all plastic, particularly the really dense stuff that makes up ball joints. ?Krylon Fusion has some of the same problems.

As for brands, Mar-Hyde works okay, as well as SEM. You aren't going to find many bright colors, usually just dull neutral colors. They work okay as a primer and then adding paint on top. I really like the Krylon Fusion flat black. Works great as a primer, but you need to let it cure for like a week before painting.

3. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

cheers for the advice boggs,

i'm going to do a set of black wings for my energon unicron, so the lack of colors are no problem, what i'm concerned about is that if just heating the part up can make them go all floppy, will the ingredient (acetone?) that breaks down the surface melt the plastic like it did to your ramjet's arm?

anybody tried to dye blugeon's sword? that seems to be a similar material.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I doubt it will melt it, but I'm not sure it would ahear to that plastic anyways. I don't have a Unicron, is it stiff plastic or rubbery plastic?

If its rubbery plastic, I would just use acrylic black.

The ramjet arm was put into straight acetone. When you are dying something be is spraying or heat and dip, you use only a small amount of acetone.