vintage misb...I think the sellers switched from Priority to FirstClass + its missing

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Sigh. So I won an item that was shipped out on Nov. 14th. At first the seller gave me the wrong tracking address then later the correct one.

I paid for the listed USPS Priority international (from US to Canada). I have a feeling the seller switched to USPS First Class international and now that it has been this long, that the package is MIA/lost.

My direct question is whether the 'tracking' (not really tracking, right?) # for first class is different than that for Priority. The # he gave me starts with LC and ends in US with 9 numbers in between. I seem to recall that the LC might indicate first class or something like that.

My more general question is what I should do. Intuitively, the seller seemed trustworthy, but I think he did the shipping switch (US sellers: please never do that charge express/priority then ship for a couple of bucks with FC switch!) and after I have messaged him a few times has expressed concern over the package not arriving but has chosen/neglected to fess up in terms of switching the shipping. (for priority, 100% guaranteed it would have been here by now). Should I just file a claim? It's certainly not my responsibility that the seller shipped to a less secure shipping method (breaking the contract of the sale).

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FWIW I actually had a International Priority package lost before. Sorta sucked since I thought the "tracking" was actual "tracking" but that's a farce for Priority Mail. Priority Mail could still take a few weeks as that has happened to some stuff that I've sent out. Only way to go is EMS for International shipping.

Anyways, I'm 95% certain that 'LC' is First class shipping. And I'm about 75% certain that all USPS Postal codes end in 'US'.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    LC......US is the number on the First Class customs forms. You can track it on the Canada post website, IIRC. If not, it's the USPS website.

FC definitely takes longer. It took like 5 weeks for a package I sent RHansen to get to him (it's what we agreed on, I really do ship the way I say I'm going to).

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So confirmed that the seller switched shipping methods on me at least then?

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Actually I'm pretty sure the customs forms are the same for first class and priority. The only thing that changes is if your package weighs over 4lbs, in which case you have to fill out a larger form

I always ship first class to canada cuz it's waaay cheaper I'm talking like $10 usually. It's always known to my buyers that's what I'm doing and they usually appreciate the price more. Usually takes 1-2 weeks

One thing I've talked to the Post Office about is tracking and I know tracking doesn't even exist in some countries. Not saying Canada is one of them mind you

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah from US to Can I've had lots of good buying experiences with both First Class and Priority (and neither has ever taken this long). I've had a few bad experiences though where the US seller charges $15-25 for Priority and then spends $2-6 on First Class then gets defensive and angry when you call them on it and request a shipping refund.

So that's a sore spot for me and then in this case where that switch might have helped lead to a missing package has me rather angry (i.e. the seller won't even fess up on the switch at this point, having gotten 2-3 concerned messages from me about the length of time it's been and the fact that the # he provided still shows nothing but the acceptance date, which if it were Priority it would at least show where the package has gotten to).

7. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This.

The Priority customs labels are look like CJ .... US. You can't track First Class packages with USPS, but most of the time you can track the same packages using the same customs number with Canada Post.

8. sunlink

News Credits:
    I just did a verification from my extra USPS supplies and double checked the USPS website.

There are two types of custom forms:
    2976 --> Green, starts with LC and ends with US
    2976-A --> White, starts with CP and ends with US

Per the USPS website about custom forms:

First Class International can use form 2976 or 2976-A
    Priority Mail only uses form 2976-A
    Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope can use form 2976 but it looks like it's the only Priority Mail type that can.

So, this should verify that the items were sent First Class unless what you bought can fit into a Flat Rate envelope.

9. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    well filing a claim if the tracking is showing a status is not going to do you any immediate good...paypal will place that claim into the "paypal investigating que" while they jam their thumb in their collective ass and wait a few weeks for the tracking to show something....

this happened to me on a package from canada...filed a claim on week 4 when the tracking showed nothing but accepted and left processing center in canada...8 weeks into the claim his package showed...and paypal miraculously closed the claim within a day of the package finally showing delivered...

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i'm pretty sure you cant track anything once it leaves the states, maybe ems but I dont think priority. you might tho, cause usps keeps changing everything.

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    per the postal folks..priority international and EMS are both trackable....I know on EMS it shows everything...sent two robotech figures to a guy in singapore a few years ago...it showed every detail...entered country, out for delivery. etc..

12. sunlink

News Credits:
    Actually it depends on the meaning of "trackable" for Priority Mail (whether in the US or International). The only information that I've been able to get from PM are the following:
    - Dropped off package
    - Package leaves the US
    - If the package arrives then it's entered into the system.

There's a HUGE gap for when the package leaves the US (or basically before it arrives to the recipient). If something were to go wrong the USPS will not be able to track the package until it potentially arrives at the recipient - which means nothing if the package is actually lost. This happened to me hence why I only ship EMS to International folks unless its First Class to Canada which is trackable on the Canadian Post website. Plus what they deem "insurance" on PM is a joke.

EMS on the other hand is trackable. Every step of the way. EMS actually has "tracking" and "insurance".

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks for the info.

So if it doesn't show up for another week or so do you guys think I could win a claim for item not received based on that the seller switched to less secure shipping and thus the package being MIA is not my fault due to the contract being broken?

14. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From what my buddy told me who is the post master at the post office in my town , the only way you get a tracking number for any international package is to send it EMS.. Everything under that is not sent with any kind of tracking number.. Customs form numbers ARE NOT tracking numbers but sometimes can but almost never give you info . And when it does give you info. all it will pretty much tell you is that your package left the US and such a time and date and thats all you will ever get from a Customs form number.

I use to ship international all the time and was never able to add tracking to any package unless the person requested EMS shipping.. Now when i ship international i always suggest EMS to the buyer because it protects everyone..

So if this guy is telling you he added tracking to your package he is pretty much blowing smoke up your butt. I would flat out ask him if he switched the shipping method. Tell him you will be able to find out once it arrives anyways because it will say on your package what method was used to ship. Priority will either show up in a priority box or a box with priority mail stickers on it .. If there are no stickers then it was shipped first class..

So get this guy to fess up that he got greedy and wanted to save a little cash and screw you in the end with shipping with a slower method. And if he screwed up and gave you the wrong shipping and it was going to cost him more to ship priority mail then he should have paid it out of his pocket since it was his fault for not getting the correct shipping quote. I have given the wrong quotes in the past a couple times but i always pay the difference because it was my mistake and passing it onto the buyer just aint right..

Anyways good luck with getting your package on time , hope it arrives saftly :)