Vintage Machine Robo Battle Base review

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by flywheels, Apr 29, 2009.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm so excited. Thanks to fellow member Sunlink, he pointed me out to the awesome sale that Bermuda-Mohawk was having on his site and I picked up a few vintage Machine Robo items that I had been salivating over in the MR Wedge book. So without further ado, here's a pictorial review for the Machine Robo Battle Base.

I was a little bummed to realize when I pulled this out of the box that the white had yellowed a bit. Not surprising since it's from 1984. Thankfully it's more of a off white or creamy white than straight up yellow. The bottom half of the base is a dark gray and if you'll notice there are 4 sets of black tank treads. Underneath the treads are hollowed out to allow 4 free rolling black plastic wheels. I do believe there are a few missing accessories (radar dish?) from my specimen, but it still looks great in this mode.

[​IMG]

Underneath that amber colored window is a cockpit of sorts for 2 vehicular toys. The blue ramp extends out and down for easy play.

[​IMG]

Notice the runway on the top?

[​IMG]

Look at the huge afterburner engines on the back. Combined w/ the little wings on the top gives me the idea that this base could take (limited?) flight!

[​IMG]

There is a little hatch that opens right behind the missile launcher. I'm assuming it's large enough to fit a robot figure standing up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Behold, the base transformed! There is a small black tab on the front of the battle base that when pressed down, releases the top portion and allows it to be opened up into base form.

[​IMG]

Upper level. The blue knob controls the elevator. The silver missile launcher is retractable...seeing how it's called the battle base I think it looks best displayed out.

[​IMG]

Mid level. The blue elevator does go up and down by turning the blue knob up top.

[​IMG]

Bottom level. Notice the train tracks? I thought that was a very neat touch. This whole area is actually a cardboard insert. Before I took a closer look I thought it was made up of stickers. The section on the right side has a small ramp that extends out and down. I'm not sure what the red lever does as it's not spring loaded or anything. It does have a small notch that locks the red lever in place so perhaps it is designed to launch a car forward and down the ramp?

[​IMG]

Different angles of the base transformed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Copyright Bandai 1984

[​IMG]

I wish I had some Go-Bots or something to display w/ the base to help show scale, but seeing how I'm a work I don't. The base itself is almost 1 foot long and 6 1/2 inches wide. When transformed the back half stands just shy of 1 foot. While it may not be the most sophisticated play set out there I think it had a lot going for it in 1984. In my opinion it's far superior to the Go-Bots Headquarters play set. If you can find this and are a fan of vintage Machine Robo or Go-Bots then I suggest you buy it. I've seen them pop up on Yahoo! Japan auctions somewhat regularly and it doesn't weigh much so international shipping shouldn't be too bad if you attempt at snagging one. I'm very happy w/ this purchase and can't wait to integrate it into my MR/Go-Bots collection @ home.

2. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Cool pics Flywheels. Any chance of getting a few pics with some Gobot figs with it?

3. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just picked one of these up on ebay. Waiting anxiously for it to arrive.