Vintage Game Buying

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    By chance does anyone know of any stores (online or otherwise) that specialize in older video games?

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I used Gamecrazy for older games, if they didn't have a game you wanted they would look up all the other stores in the country and have it mailed in for you.

Chuck

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I use two stores by where I live called The Game Store and Game Trader. Neither are online at the moment. The Game Store is wicked awesome. They accept and sell any and every system and their games.

Game Crazy closed most of their stores (all of them in Philadephia), and whispers say the rest are hanging on by a thread.

4. Cavshock

True, they closed my store too.

Chuck

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It sucks as they always had really decent prices on NES games. The Game Store is a bit more expensive. Game Trader doesn't keep a huge selection like the other two did, but their prices aren't too bad.

6. Cavshock

Not to mention the specials they would have from time to time on classic games. Pick any three for 20 or later on 10. I got a couple of nice SNES games that way.

I think the best bet for classic games is rummage sales and flea markets. If you find a stand at flea market that isn't run by a store you can find some really good deals.

Chuck

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

there are 3 stores i go to:

the oldest is GameXchange (in my state, been around since mid 1998), they have a number of classic games and systems (and movies dvds). exist in multiple states.

a relatively new store is play'n'trade (in my area mid 2008). they have forum site, and have lower prices, do not know if the have online purchasing. exists in multiple states.

THE best place (for gamers, comic bock collectors, classic toys[transformers] and all that other geeky stuff) is Vintage Stock.

HUGH collection of classic and new games (among other things)

vintagestock.com

find a closest store. if you go there and ask for a game that is not in that store, they will check which closest store has a copy, you pay the retail and 5 bucks for S&H, they will ship the game to your house and refund the 5 bucks as instore credit.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always prefer vintage game shopping in person, or on eBay.

I've not yet found an online site that meets my vintage gaming needs.

All the chain stores are terrible. Game Xchange and Game Crazy seemed to have ok selections when I had been there in the past. But if you are looking for anything vintage that isn't NES, SNES, Genesis, or N64 then you aren't going to have too much luck in those places.

We have a local chain called Slackers which is terrible. They have several boxes for games on display, but they keep the boxes when you purchase. That one just blew my mind. Prices are a little ridiculous as well, but this place also sells movies, music, toys, and other miscellany. I guess all marketed toward the flip side of that Hot Topic coin that just worships the ground that Kevin Smith walks on. I feel doucheyness growing on my skin just being in that store.

The best places I have always found were those one off mom and pop game stores that don't have much of an online presence. Seek those out in your area, or an area that you may frequent. You may be surprised at both the selection and the prices you find.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Joe, thanks for the link.

many of classic game prices are half of what vintagestock asks for. time to check this.

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

It's a shame you can't go to Japan. Vintage game stores there are INSANE. There was one called "Super Potato" in Akihabara Electric Town that was blasting Super Mario Bros. music out into the street during opening hours and had giant "sprites" of the game characters decorating the front side of the building.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Amazon.com has a lot of vintage games for sale in their marketplace. I've picked up several over the years.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    My local shop is http://1upgames.ca . The guy who runs it is pretty nice, and its a pretty good shop.