Viewing Star Trek

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DevilzFan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

So I've never really been a big Trek guy. I've seen most, if not all of the original series, which I do love. With the new movie coming out next year, I've had an itch to watch some Star Trek. So I've now filled my Netflix Queue with the original series.

The plan is to watch those, then the original cast movies. Then I may move on and watch the Next Generation. Never really got into that. Don't think I've ever seen a full episode. Just parts here and there. I hear people rave about it though, so I've decided it's time to give that a shot too. Then watch the next generation cast movies.

What comes after Next Generation? Voyager? Deep Space? Figure I might give those a watch too if I enjoy Next Generation. Haven't seen either of those.

2. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well technically i think its Deep Space then Voyager. I never really liked Deep Space, but i LOVED Voyager. Voyager takes away the whole dependence on starfleet and stuff any leaves them adrift. Next Generation is some amazing stuff. Just stay away from Enterprise as long as possible.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I am a huge fan of The Next Generation. Such an amazing show all around. They're doing re-runs of fan favorites on Sci-Fi on Mondays from 7-10. Couple of their movies I don't really care for. I thought Generations and First Contact were pretty good, but they lost me after that.

After TNG is Deep Space Nine, which was pretty cool I guess. Better when Worf joined them. Though I never watched enough to remember why. Then Voyager, which I hated. Then Enterprise, which is ok, but I never got into. I love Bakula, but the show was just meh.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think Enterprise is really underrated. I guess if I were I big Trek I'd dislike more for all the recons apparently, but nevertheless doesn't take away from the show's quality.and hot Vulcans FTW!

Though DS9 is my favorite of all the series for the stationary cause and effect style of story telling.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Don't forget to do the animated series between those. Roddenberry might have disowned it, but its still awesome and has most of the original cast.

Don't be put off by the 80s cheese of the first couple of series, stick it out until the third and you'll be rewarded in spades.

TNG 87-94
    DS9 93-99
    Voyager 95-01
    Enterprise 01-05

DS9 is a slow starter, but is by far the meatiest show of the franchise once it gets going. Definatley recommended if you like shows like B5 and New BSG rather then the overly sanitised and episodic format of the other two 90s shows.

Voyager is a train wreck. Attrocious writing, mostley terrible cast and it fails miserably to deliver on its premise of being stranded without supplies.

I'm apathetic towards Enterprise. Its not as bad as Voyager, but theres nothing particularly remarkable about it either.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    My favourite series is Voyager, I think its because I grew up with it but I never really like DS9 and Enterprise

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

TNG Was my favorite series, but IMO it didn't really hit it's stride until the second or third season.

After that it was awesome.

8. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

DS9 is the best by far. It does start slow. But by the end you will think all other trek's are lame. But you do need to watch it all and in order. Some of the best characters ever.

TNG is good too.

Voyager could have been great. But as stated was not. It used the reset button too often

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Gul Dukat makes DS9 purely awesome! I like it better than TNG

The series does start out slow (but it seems like it takes each series a couple seasons to really get going) once it does it is an extremely strong show.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

What got me into ST was Voyager. So basicly watch all of them, they all do deserve it, but the absolutely the best ST series are DS9 and TNG (and in that order - DS9 has some great writing and characters, more meatier as RabidYak said).

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Because I just happened to see this episode recently... "Demon" was an episode really highlighted Voyager being stranded without supplies given they ran out of deuterium and made a pretty desperate attempt to get more on a "Demon Class" planet. And as I remember it, the show also often showed or at least made mention of trading for supplies/technology, gathering food stuffs on away missions and alliances through-out the series.

I pretty much grew up watching TNG myself. Very good series. DS9 as others have said is slow to start but gets really good. Voyager was also one of my favorites. Enterprise... well it could have been better. I also have to add that I've seen a couple of the remastered episodes of the original series lately and I've enjoyed them.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    gotta say that i like TNG but Voyager was what really got me re-interested in Star Trek. i thought voyager was really interesting and i reallyliked a lot of the characters [the Doctor just rawks]

ive seena few DS9 eps but didnt really care for 'em much. i couldnt get vested in any of the characters and i dunno. just had a hard time trying to like it. its a different part of the Trek universe for sure but

i say keep watching man.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

They may have referenced it or used it a story hook ocasionally, but it never had any real consequences on the show and the lack of continuity made it look even more rediculous.

The ship looked brand new every week despite it getting damaged every other episode and shot to pieces at least 2 or 3 times a year, they never ran out of the unreplicatable biological computer packs despite a limited supply and the afforementioned damage, they used hundreds of torpedos despite specifically stating at the start that they only had about 30, they wrecked more shuttles then the ship could probably carry in the first place, they mysteriously got First Contact style phaser rifles half way througth the series, they used the holodecks despite saying that they didn't have the energy to indefinatly feed everyone with replicators and so on.

If the writers were any good they could have exploited the situation to make a series that was at least half as interesting and morally ambigous as DS9 was, but instead we got a second rate TNG rehash where they ocassionally mined a bit of metal or brought some food off of alien race of the week when they fancied a break from the usual tecnobollocks and bonkers reset button situations.

Ironically, one of the dudes who did DS9 later went on to do an infinatley more convicing job of that situation with BSG.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Just so you know, DS9 does not follow NG completely. They actually overlap by a couple of seasons. Start with Next Gen, then when DS9 starts ( I think in season 5 ), you gotta alternate between the series so that you watch them simultaneously.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TNG started when I was a kid, and I really enjoyed it, although as others have said, the first few seasons haven't aged well.

Never watched DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise UNTIL about three years ago... got a great deal on the DVD sets for all four modern series & spent about 10 months getting through them (25 seasons, whew!).

DS9 is absolutely brilliant and Voyager occasionally shines; couldn't get interested in the VOY characters, for the most part. Enterprise didn't do anything for me, although I did enjoy the episodes with the Defiant.

IMO, your best bet for Trek is Seasons 3-7 of TNG and the whole of DS9.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

More fuel/energy can always be obtained, again as I mentioned before was shown through-out the series through various means. With that in mind, the situation with the replicators and holodecks wouldn't remain constant, although as I recall they had a ration system in place anyway. Not to mention they build a hydroponics bay to help feed the crew. Shuttle craft can be rebuilt as we saw even with the Delta Flyer. In fact, the episode to introduce the Flyer as I recall, B'Elanna Torres said something to the effect that she was tried of rebuilding shuttles. With replicators they could always replicate most of the parts they'd need to replace, or again trade for compatible components. Similarly more torpedoes can be constructed and I doubt hey used "hundreds" to begin with. Repairs to the ship were dealt with usually off screen, although "Nightingale" actually showed Voyager had set down on a planet for repairs. Also "The Gift" showed Voyager was still covered with Borg modifications after after fighting Species 8472 in "Scorpion", so sometimes the status of Voyager was carried over into other episodes. I don't think they needed to replace all of the bio-neural gel packs either. A few needed replaced certainly, but they managed. Really the only thing out of the issues you brought up I don't see some type of an explanation for is the sudden appearance of the First Contact styled phaser rifles.

You might not have liked how the writers handled Voyager, that doesn't mean they weren't any good. Personally, I thought it was a great show as it was.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

18. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

DS9 was epic. Truly the best Trek IMHO. Gets really good at the end of season 2, start of season 3 when the Dominion is discovered and the DS9 crew get the USS Defiant. The war arc the last few seasons is just amazing.

19. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yup. At the end of season 4, they receive technical data from Starfleet after they sent the Doctor to Alpha Quadrant.

The Next Generation (including the movies), Deep Space Nine, and Voyager overlap on one another.

Voyager docked at DS9 in the series premier, mention of the Dominion War, TNG characters on DS9 and Voyager, and Admiral Janeway on Star Trek: Nemesis etc...

Chronologically, in the Star Trek universe,

DS9 starts around season 6 of TNG. TNG ends near the end of season 2 of DS9.
    VOY starts in the middle of season 3 of DS9. DS9 ends near the end of season 5 of VOY. VOY continues alone for 2 more seasons.

I loved Voyager. I grew up with it. And I watched the TNG movies as well. I wasn't that into DS9, though.
    The first three seasons of Voyager can get a bit boring. The series really picked up when Jeri Ryan joined the cast in the finale of the third season. Not only was she an eye candy, her character was awesome, you can notice that the production value just jumped up significantly. Especially in the CGI department.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    No way. Gul Dukat is awesome to be sure, but Garek is awesome even when he doesn't do anything. Hell, some of his best moments are when he's not doing anything. Best. Tailor. Ever.

Also, Sisco could totally beat Kirk's ass. :thumb