Videogames: Transformers PS2 (Armada, 2004 game) vs. Movie themed games (new)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Anyone remember this comparison... kinda fun to read and a nice reminder of how shockingly great the 2004 PS2 TF game was (and still is!)
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/520/520165p1.html

Anyone care to compare the old 2004 PS2 title to the new versions of the game for the various platforms?

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    The Armada one instantly wins for having humongous Tidal Wave. No contest. :lol  :lol 

Seriously, I've not obtained the Movie one yet, but it should be a blast to play. I mean, the Armada one didn't let you wreak havoc as the Decepticons. Plus: Blackout.

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Honestly, I didn't think that the 2004 Armada game was that great...

It's kind of hard to compare the two just because the 2004 game was more free-roaming and the Movie game is actually pretty linear with time limits and such. The obvious improvement in the new game is graphics. It definitely looks better. The physics for vehicle mode feel pretty much the same in the way that you don't really feel "attached" to the road. I like the melee combat in the Movie game better than the 2004 game.

Neither of the two is terrible, but they pretty much live up to the standard of games that are based on licensed properties. They aren't the greatest games you'll ever play, but they do have some entertainment value.

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I replayed the Armada one a little while back. It wasn't as fun as I remembered it. The replay valueonly offers so much, and the only level with clear enough terrain to do cool things on is the Arctic level, and that gets old too for my tastes. I'm looking forward to picking up the newer game because I've always loved the thought of terrorizing towns.

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Armada was alot of fun once you found some of the better minicons,like long range sniping.

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Yanno, the more I hear, the more I wanna play the Armada game.

7. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Plus, the Armada game has tons of cheatcodes you can use after you've agthered 100% to play around a bit :D 

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

And you could play thru with the three different characters.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I've actually just started playing the ARMADA game all over again on my PS3 and I forgot how damn good it was.
    From the actual cartoon cast doing the voices to some superb graphics and gameplay, it's just so cool. Collecting the various Mini-Cons opens up the game so much (I love the glider pack) and makes it worth revisiting some levels just for the fun of it.
    I always play as RED ALERT - OPTIMUS is a little slow and HOT SHOT too weak. RED ALERT gets the balance right between the two.

Can't see the Movie game being this good!

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the Ps2? I can't agree with you there. I often wonder why Armada didn't get more praise in the graphic department. Even though it was a slieght of hand trick, the draw distance in this game was amazing, and ranks up there with the best of them, especially in the amazon levels. The character models were slick, and even the subtle touches like the electrictity spreading throughout the busted Decepticon pieces when they were blown to bits (as if trying to keep the parts together) was just icing. The way the character models glinted and shined in the sunlight, walking around inside of Tidelwave and seeing his giant head in one of the rooms. These guys had to work with the Armada timeline, but they loved Transformers, and you could tell. This game was, and still is one of the better-looking PS2 games, and from what I've seen of the movie game, it still looks great, but not nearly as good as that those Melbourn guys in did.

11. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Thanks for the impressions so far, guys.

I seriously love the Armada game...its actually one of my favorite video games of all time, right up there with Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Gran Turismo 4. I would have even loved the 2004 TF game, even if it wasn't a licensed TF property.

As Windcharger pointed out, there was love of TFs in this game. The team who worked on it really put care and pride into the final product and it shows.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Not a big fan of the Armada game personally. I suck at most video games anyway, but I couldn't do shit with the Armada game. I've been able to get a grasp on the controls and do alright with the Movie game. Plus breaking shit as Decepticons automatically=win

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Well it's ignorant of the article's author to say that the Japanese game has "wacky names" just because he doesn't know that they had different names in Japan.

But that doesn't matter because the Armada game kicks the G1 game's ass anyways. I played it at a friends house and seriously got hooked. Too bad I don't have a PS2.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Im playing it right now, Mini-con hunting before I face Unicron, this has to be about my 20th play through the game.

Armada game loses points for cutting Demolisher and putting Screamer in instead.

(Also, Movie game instantly wins for characters, Only 3 Autobots FTL, Both factions FTW!)

15. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    The new movie game, is terrible. I love playing the armada one, and have never found it difficult or frustrating. It's the total opposite for the movie game. I've got about 7 hours in, and i'm ready to call it quits. I put it up for sale in Junkion.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    armada game - one of my faves, along with C:SOTN (good one bro!).

Movie game - heard great things, haven't seen it yet.

17. Megatron_X

Megatron_X Supreme Predacon Warlord

Armada was a great game to play but the movie one by far rules. Besides the last TF game for the PC was in 1998 in the form of Beast Wars. This I still have and loved that I could play multiplayer online with others to deathmatch. That is the only thing I wish was on here. But the graphics have come a long way since 98 and 2004.

18. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Red Alert sounded like Spock, or just bored, and The unicron battle was a pain, but still, it kept you interested for a while.

19. Bloodcat

Bloodcat Well-Known Member

Armada was hard, but fun enough so you want to keep trying.
    DS Movie goes from pathetically easy, yet unfun, to abusively hard, and still not fun.
    Apparently the full sized game is even worse.

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    You hit the nail on the head!

I consider myself a better then average gamer, and do spend alot of time playing video games(I'm a stay at home dad, so i've got plenty of time).

The movie game is the first game in a long time, that just gets so frustrating, it pisses me off. And I even like hard games.