Minor/Repaint: Video tutorial: Easy dlx Mechtech weapons mod!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Big_Daddy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I sat around the other day, pondering over why you can't lock the deluxe Mechtech weapons modes like you can with the voyager and leader class weapons, so I opened one up and saw an instant fix that I thought I'd share with you :) 

Sorry about the crappy focus in the video... I made it on a whim, and it's my first ever video of this kind, hehe :) 

Also, I actually say "feather" instead of "spring" at one point. That's because those are called the same in my native language of Swedish, lol! :lol 

EDIT: Just saw that someone else had the same brilliant idea and posted pics of the process... Oh well :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Cool... in my native language Dutch it's also called Feather "VEER" :D  cool thnx for the vid!!

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The video is a lot of fun, and I went ahead and added it to the existing tutorial. Thanks for sharing, bud :) 

4. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    but why nailpolish? You just removed the spring and then you're done - looks at the vid, you havent put the spring back to place, the nailpolish is not neccessary. Also i dunno what this tutorial makes it different from another (exept the fact that a video is always FAR better than pics and text of course)

a lil explanation for the nailpolish would be cool. thank you :) 

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Nail polish probably makes the parts stay put instead of sliding loose all over the place, which is probably what happens. You can tell in the video that he shook the Topspin weapon expecting them to flop out and they didn't, to which he commented "Oh, you don't need nail polish on this one." So, if you don't, great. But if they are loose and floppy, nail polish will fix it. Basically, take a look at your own and see what you need to do.

With me, I don't care for the pincer mechanism. You can go the other way and remove the pincers, leaving the spring in to create a 'backblast' effect with the cannon tip.

I love these little tips though. Thanks for sharing, as well as supplying that vid. :) 

Attached Files:

6. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Indeed, the nail polish is to prevent the parts from being all loose and floppy, just as you would use it to fix loose joints and such. :) 

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Yeh okay, but this does not work on roadbusters weapon

8. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Haven't tried on that yet. Will have a look tomorrow :) 

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thanks for the video Pete! I haven't messed around with any of my mech-tech weapons so I'll take your advice and run with it!

10. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tapping the pin a bit at the end of Roadbuster's chainsaw tightens it up enough to stay deployed.. with the spring removed of course.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  12. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice. That was more work than I would be willing to put in though. :wink: 

13. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Actually, I modded two of Thundercracker's mechtech weapons (which are just repainted versions of Roadbuster's) before I stumbled on this thread.

Here are the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They can lock out fairly securely now. I took out the springs and tightened some screws on both of them. One weapon tightened up just fine without any additional work (the right arm one).

The other was more of a pain in the ass because the screws actually stripped out little bits of plastic in the holes and made the screws loose as hell, which then refused to tighten back up.

I actually had to sand down parts of the left weapon with my Dremel, but I overdid it and was forced to glue a plastic bit on the interior double-peg for more resistance against the switch. It locks out fine now too.

I really wished I remembered to use clear nail polish on the gear mechanisms and saved myself all that trouble of sanding and gluing extra plastic bits, lol.

Great and helpful post though!

Big Hank, that's a very cool little mod! Wished I had thought of it! I still have TC's springs and may give it a try but after all the work I put into modding TC's left chainsaw weapon, I think I'm about done even messing with it, lol.

14. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    I just did my mod on Roadbuster's weapon, and the tutorial still applies here. Remove the spring, add nailpolish to the moving parts so they don't move around too much, put back together.

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I actually rearranged the claw halves on Topspins weapon to be a crossbow and left the spring in, looks really cool.

16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I did Jolt's weapon yesterday and it definitely required nail polish. I put a drop in four different places...