Video Toy Review Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unchained5150, Oct 11, 2010.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear. TFW2005 Supporter

**I wasn't sure where to put this thread but, I figured since it was about the toys and reviewing them that this should go here. If not: Mods, please move this where it should go. =] **

I've been tossing the idea around about doing my own video reviews for Transformers and the like but had a few questions about the videos and the process and what not and wondered if you all could help.

1) Does the format of the video matter? Specifically: Does it have to show the complete transformation between modes to be a successful review? I've been doing some perusing of Youtube and the forums and that seems to be the standard lately but, also seems to lead to longer videos...which leads to my next question:

2) Does the length of the video matter? Does a longer, more personalized (read: opinionated in one fashion or another) video make for a better review or are shorter ones preferred? I can definitely see the appeal of longer videos; enough time to pour over every inch of the figure, showing every shortcoming and triumph. Does that hold the audiences attention or bore them?

3) (This question is purely out of curiousity - I love the toys and franchise regardless and always will =] ) - Is there potential for profit of any kind through reviewing of Transformers or whatever other franchise/intellectual property? Do the current reviewers have day jobs alongside their reviewing or does their reviewing afford them their lifestyle and wage?

Any and all opinions are welcome! I'm really curious to see what all of you think on these factors and will take your opinions to heart when I do my own videos.

Thanks!

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

1. I would check YouTube's uploading guidelines.

2. Shorter reviews capture more attention, but leave little time for in-depth reviews. It's really all up to you and how much time do you want to spend talking about the figure.

3. It's happened, but it's a longshot. You really have to standout.

3. unchained5150

What I meant by this wasn't the file format; more the format of the actual video. (ie: display the full transformation step-by-step or just transition between modes.) - Though, now that you've brought that up, I should probably check the file formats that Youtube accepts now since it's been ages since I've used mine; thanks for that haha.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I don't review, but I can offer my opinion as a consumer of reviews ;D

-I've seen both ways. Personally, I like the alt -> bot reviews a bit more because I can usually find the tidbits I might need in these reviews. I think a personalized video that covers one direction of the transformation would be a good length.

A short, to-the-point review that covers a bit of, "You know, this thing is actually pretty cool, I like it, hate it, whatever" usually works. You want to highlight the really good stuff (EX: ROTF Lockdown's four neck joints :D ) as you go through the transformation and showcasing of the robot mode.

I would imagine reviewing is a side-hobby as opposed to a wage. I have heard some stuff about ad revenue, but I have no idea how that works out or what that means to the reviewers.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Make sure you start all your reviews with "What up, Transformer fans."

There's a certain reviewer who's completely dependent on YouTube for money. I suggest you not try to end up like him.

6. unchained5150

Only the best kind of opinion! Haha. After all, you're the type the reviewers are trying to sway one way or another with their reviews.

That's my personal preference as well. I like seeing what the robot turns into before seeing the robot. That's why I'm always kind of letdown by TFs that get packaged in 'bot mode.

Pretty much my feelings as well. Don't get me wrong: I love watching the longer videos when it's a figure I'm entirely sold on. That's how I tide myself over until I actually get it in my hands haha. It's just when it's a figure I'm on the fence about that watching ten minutes of footage to hear, 'I strongly dislike this figure and can't recommend it' - It's kind of tedious in a way but, I can definitely appreciate the time and effort spent on the videos.

That's what I figured but, it's nice to know either way. Though, would it be wrong to try and shoot for some sort of revenue out of these videos? lol. Edit: That was totally a joke, by the way >.>

7. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

Oh, little tip, DON'T COPY OTHER PEOPLE'S IDEAS!

It's like if you put Vangelus' subtitles in a video, it makes you look like an uncreative loser.

Good Luck!

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *cough* Sean Long *cough*

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Personally, I skip over the transformation. I don't watch it. That's why I praise Sishot for not going in-depth and not taking a half of the video going over it. If you go over colors, so help me God......

I personally prefer shorter videos (Kinglaffo, Quizzley, Thew, TJOmega (rushed)), but I will watch long videos if you have a certain touch (Vangelus, he's extremely articulate. I can't believe it), though depending on the subject matter, I generally won't watch a video that's over 10 minutes long or I just won't finish it.

There is potential profit. There is the YouTube partnership program, and you do get paid for you videos. Making a living off of it is very slim.[/QUOTE]

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

"Professional reviewers" don't live off of their reviews. What their reviewing does help about is getting new figures for free, from sponsors or friendly chaps (like Thew aka Barutazaru gets new figures). That helps financialy.

11. unchained5150

No way! I can understand paying homage to the popular ones but, completely copying someone else's idea is cheap and uncreative (as you said). - That's one of the reasons why I made this thread. I'm trying to see what people like in a review video because I really want to try and do something against the norm'. Make them a little more awesome like Vangelus and Optibotimus do, for example.

12. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't review toys on YouTube either but I'll give you my opinions:

Personally I hate seeing some guy waste 10 minutes trying (usually unsuccessfully) to transform even the simplest figure. I prefer the format where you show one mode and it either "magically" transforms into the other mode or they speed up/edit the transformation so it transitions smoothly. Plus you don't have to listen to the guy go on about some insignificant incident in his life, like how his cat puked on the table, while he struggles to transform the figure. However, it is possible to do a successful step by step transformation and if you highlight interesting/tricky bits but you have to transform the figure flawlessly and it should take you no more than 2-3 min. The transformation shouldn't be the "highlight" of the review. I guess what I am trying to say is don't just turn on the camera, do a fly by the seat of your pants, one take review but put some thought into what you are going to say, how you are going to say it, plan out camera angles, make sure you have quality lighting, etc. If you do the hard work to make it consistently good quality you have a better chance of people liking your reviews and a greater chance of making money from it.

Personally I prefer the reviews that give me the info that I want in the right amount of time. Some people try to make it too entertaining and it often gets in the way of the review. I am not watching a sitcom. I am trying to get an idea if this figure is something I want to add to my collection. That said, every review is going to be different so if you make sure the review covers all of the points that you want to make on a particular figure it doesn't matter if the final piece is 5 min or 15 min. Quality over quantity works best IMO.

Sure there is potential for profitability but you would have to be really popular in order to pull it off. Most likely you will have to keep your day job when you start out. But with some consistent, quality reviews, lots of hard work, and a bit of luck it might be possible to pull in some profit.

13. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

Yeah, I've never reviewed anything ,but I think it would be a bit more interesting if you talk about what you like or dislike about the toy, other than running down a line in every review. And instead of doing something creative and interesting in your reviews, try being enthusiastic, and it will be more fun to watch.

I'm only here to help!

(100th post:lolol )

14. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

You could always start by doing an in-depth full-detail review for those people that want to know everything about the figure, then delete the filler-footage from that same video to make a shorter one.

~Z

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It should be noted that this doesn't happen to all reviewers. The ones who get free figures have been around for a while.

16. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. I like it when a review takes the time to accuratly show the transformation from Alt Mode to robot.
    2. It really depends on what you want your video's to be like. Please, IMHO, don't go too heavily into the backstory. If your that kind of person, post a link in the description for further reading.
    3. Don't be like Sean Long

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO:
    1. an offbeat format where you are obviously having fun (but not going all obscene-obsessed over a particular toy) takes precedence over length. Watch a Nostalgia Critic Video and before you look at the timer, guess how long you sat there laughing.

2. Organize. use index cards, hide a dry-erase board with talking points behind the camera for you to keep a steady, intelligent pace.

3. Know your #&@*. It makes me violently ill to watch 8 minutes of "um," "I dunno what this was for," "i think this is a lizard...or a cat," this is part of being organized. Google an item first.

4. Practice a little. make a few trial videos and when you see your style getting slicker, tighter, then aim for posting on the 'Tube.

I watch Peaugh and Vangelus vids first. Peaugh's are straightforward and no frills. Vangelus is a dork (natch) but he's having fun at his own expense and still hits the key points.

any other vids, i watch for alternative views, or the random bot to vehicle conversion.

good luck and let us know when ya got some ready.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Find your own voice and style, experiment a bit, just find what works best for you, that is the absolute best advice you can be given..well that and "don't be like Sean Long".

Also, try not to think too much on profiting off of it or getting figures out of it. Even if it isn't your intention..it makes it seem like you're getting into it for the wrong reasons, plus its not really the kind of thing you can or should rely on for such things.

19. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
  20. unchained5150

Oh no, I honestly don't mean for it to come off as my wanting profit from this or anything. I was honestly just curious to see if there was potential for such things. Either way, I'm going to do it because I love Transformers and I've always wanted to do videos about them.

As for not doing videos like Sean Long; I don't plan on it lol. He does alright work but, it's not my style.