Video Reviews: Do people really prefer this?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 4, 2008.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I've recently notice the large influx of video reviews versus written reviews. I don't know if this is a trend but personally I would much rather read a well written review with some nice photos. Most video reviews seem to be shot with digicams anyways so I don't see the particular need for video reviews.

So honestly, who prefers video reviews?

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree I much prefer written reviews then video ones.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It really depends on the video reviewer's style. I personally prefer the short, sweet, to the point reviews that showcase the entire figure in less than 5 minutes.

Offer up a well-written review for me to read, though, and I won't turn it down.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never watched video reviews except for the ones my mate C_C made. Personally I prefer looking at some photos and make up my mind about the toy. Since I love figuring out transformation without looking at the instruction, I don't want to be spoilt too much :) 

5. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

I tend to agree--those 10 minute videos that start with some dude with a speech impediment opening the box and go through a tedious transformation are awful. Still, I think there is a lot of unrealized potential to the video-review format. And well-written toy reviews are few and far between.

6. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well i generally like written ones. but a video is nice, especially with transformers. as far as transformation steps never really translate well to photos (or even instructions sometimes).

7. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I don't entirely understand the phenomenon of video reviews either. I've seen a couple of the crappier variety a while back and was very unimpressed.

More recently, I took a look at the work Peaugh was doing with the Animated figures. I was far more impressed with the effort, clarity in his voice and the camera work, but still saw flaws in the medium. One particular example is when he was reviewing Megatron, and completed a few transformation steps on the upper body with nothing but his legs showing. It must have been much earlier than when he reviewed Lugnut, because he clearly had been improving by then.

Still, the negative experience of watching that review, and the much smaller flaws in some of his others are what keep me from embracing the format. Written... well-written, I should say, reviews are much more insightful than what a good portion of YouTube has to offer.

8. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I like video reviews :) 

They show a figures articulation, as well as any bad points that can make a figure less desireable.

There have been figures that I have gotten only after seeing a good video review of.

I agree, some video reviewers are better than others.

9. BuildKing

BuildKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It really depends on who is doing it. Personally, I like video reviews but most of them are way too long and not to enough direct to the point. I watch them to have a glimpse at the size of the figure, mostly. It can be cool to actually see the toy ''in person''....or almost.:) 

10. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    someone just needs to figure out a voodoo spell to animate the toy and then they can do a video a review of it so no hands are in the way and the toy can move at its own speed. come on! no one has been working on this? sheesh.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    give sony a couple years and it will be done.
    Their dancing robots rule

I prefer a short and sweet review ala peaugh,i can do without youtube reviews in boxer shorts and on a bed.

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The average in quality on the video reviews is pretty effin big. Like, I've seen a few really good video reviews, but 99.9999999% of them - not so much.

Written reviews with pics are much better.

13. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member

i much prefer video reviews

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I prefer the written ones as well, simply because the reviewer tends to cut to the chase and give us the meat and potatoes of a figure's high- and low-lights.

15. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes video review works & sometimes written ones. it swings either way. but it all depends on the competency of the reviewer itself.

I've save myself from heartache a couple of times from seeing some of these video reviews. but written reviews is just as good. i can provide one example where the written review is much more better & interesting than the video one.

Takara Brave MP-Exkizer written review:
    http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/oth_mpexkaiser.php

Takara Brave MP-Exkizer youtube review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77WLbeOdMeI Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXEGh_6iO8 Part 2

It's only after i read the written review dat i finally decided to buy the figure awhile back. i learnt more info regarding the figure by just reading the written review. the video review almost turn me off.

16. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

I hate video reviews especially when its full of the reviewers own opinion. Like Decomposes ranting is very bad. I like a lot of good photos only, I really dont care about peoples opinion so reviews dont matter.

17. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    I don't have a preference for either. I've been pampered by great written reviews ie. BWTF, Dave's, Cliffbee but enjoy good video review once in a while too such as BikerTrash, Robotadventure (not everyone's cuppa), Dynasis etc.

Whatever it is I don't mind personal/biased opinions coz it's a review afterall. Drop the opinions and it'll be nothing more than a page full of tech-specs and points of articulation *scary*...

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer written/photo reviews, Video reviews have their own advantages, but most could really use some edit work, or the the old cooking show "This takes five minutes, but here's a toy we've already prepared in the other oven." kinda thing. :) 

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i prefer written/with pics one mahself, dont get the appeal of video reviews unless checking out what a fellow member is like in RL. i mean that in a non-homosexual way btw, not that you guys are unattractive, some of my best friends are gay.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha i always hate that, i was like, hey thats cheating, its not even the same dish you cooked just now! LOL